Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Searcher2018 ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 11:17PM

I am looking for a copy of Joseph Smith's Polygamy Chronology at: http://www.i4m.com/think/polygamy/JS_Polygamy_Timeline.htm

It has been referenced here in article by Steve Benson and often cited on the web.

However, i4m.com appears to no longer be available. I have searched quite a bit for it. Hoping someone knows of an archive or has saved it.

Don't know author.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 12:37PM

We were harboring a plyg wife and her kids because feds were after them that year in a state wide sweep called operation seagull.

The Allred woman's boy was the same age as my brother and she wanted them to start school together.

She used some other Allred birth certificate of a boy with a similar name who was close in age. She told the school that the family had started calling her son by a "nick name" when he was a baby and he still went by that name even though it didn't exactly match the name on the certificate. Then she taught her son to tell that lie at school. She also told him to start giving his birthday as a couple of months different from the real day.

This is just one case. Polygamists have no problem lying for the Lord. That includes various kinds of fraud that help them reach their goals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2018 02:28PM by Cheryl.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 02:15AM

I'm wondering about marriage records and documentation, if any, regarding polygamist wives. Except--possibly--for wife #1, I assume nothing is registered at county courts of offices. Or are there exceptions and legal gimmicks?

My questions:

Do subsequent wives get any kind of documentation?
Does anybody keep record of plural wives, and if so, who? Where?
Do any of the groups record births with public authorities?
If so, how might the father be identified--if at all?

Lastly,
How do the children of polygamous households get documentation for adulthood: school & college enrollment, driver's licenses, Selective Service, passports, and so on?

I'd greatly appreciate anybody's knowledge and personal experiences on these matters, recognizing that there is no one template for different polygamous groups.

Thanks!

Edit: PS Thanks for the link, "logged far out." Very helpful!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2018 02:16AM by caffiend.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 12:16PM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm wondering about marriage records and
> documentation, if any, regarding polygamist wives.
> Except--possibly--for wife #1, I assume nothing is
> registered at county courts of offices. Or are
> there exceptions and legal gimmicks?

In the Utah polygamy past (arrival in the 1850's to 1910 or so), that's correct. No government records for "marriages." Generally (but not always) they were recorded in ward/stake records, and if the "marriage" was in a temple, in temple records. Nowadays, you can usually find the records in the "family group records" on mormon-member-only-access sites.

My g-g-grandfather's polygamous "marriage" to my g-g-grandmother (his wife #2) wasn't officially recorded anywhere, except as a brief notation in g-g-grandpa's journal (they weren't temple-polygamously-married, the stake president, William Dame, did it). The only "official" record is the sealing they did at SLC temple about 8 years later.

> Do subsequent wives get any kind of
> documentation?

Often, but not always.

> Does anybody keep record of plural wives, and if
> so, who? Where?

Some did, some didn't. In my family's case, subsequent generations did their best to hide g-g-grandpa's polygamy.

> Do any of the groups record births with public
> authorities?

Generally yes. Birth certificates were done just as much as in non-polygamous families.

> If so, how might the father be identified--if at
> all?

By name. Nobody was cross-checking birth certificates with marriage licenses back then.

> How do the children of polygamous households get
> documentation for adulthood: school & college
> enrollment, driver's licenses, Selective Service,
> passports, and so on?

It's not a problem, all you need is a birth certificate. Birth certificates nowadays don't ask if father/mother were legally married or not, they just contain their names. I assume it was the same 'back then' in Utah.

Date: February 05, 2018 02:35PM

As you know, I'm especially interested in what might have been practiced in the mid-20th Century. Cheryl's point that these groups are quite willing to lie, purloin and forge documents is especially helpful.

Date: February 05, 2018 12:38PM

Date: February 05, 2018 01:04PM

I'll have to read your novel--except I'm way behind on things. And I'm retired! (Slow reader, perfectionist writer.)

Date: February 05, 2018 02:25PM

Date: February 05, 2018 02:39PM

I'm writing outside my native culture, so I have to be accurate with detail, as well as persuasive in narrative. I don't want people dismissing or discarding my material saying, "He doesn't know what he's talking about."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2018 03:07PM by caffiend.

Date: February 05, 2018 03:10PM

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 01:55PM

Joseph Smith, Jr. started it. And lied about it.

Brigham Young continued it. And denied it.

Some still do it. And DON'T TALK ABOUT IT (especially with the other wives).

What more do you need to know?
What makes Mormonism so corrupt?
EXTRA. EXTRA. Read all about it.

M@t

Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 03:42PM

Ask and you shall receive - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2EIpzHP7s4

Mormon handbook - http://www.mormonhandbook.com/home/polygamy.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2018 03:44PM by isthechurchtrue.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.