Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: February 08, 2018 12:31AM

are having wedding receptions prior to the wedding?

Anyone know?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 08, 2018 09:32AM

Got me.
A guess...so they can hie off to the nearest motel and consummate the sacred temple wedding, without the bothersome delay of greeting friends and family?

I mean, they have been *totally celibate* waiting for the temple, right? :)

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 08, 2018 09:53AM

Well, I think it is risky to do this. My son's fiance called off the wedding the day before they were to get married, so I know it happens. It was such a project returning all the gifts that had come in early.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: February 08, 2018 06:22PM

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: February 08, 2018 09:25PM

My guess is that it probably has something to do with scheduling. Mormon engagements are usually very short. First, the couple tries to schedule a wedding time on relatively short notice at the temple and may not get their first choice of time or temple location. Then they try to schedule a venue for a reception which may not be available on the actual wedding day, even if it's just the local LDS church.

Temples in the Morridor are pretty busy for weddings. A friend's daughter recently got married in the afternoon at a temple that was her third choice and over fifty miles away from the reception venue. It made for a crazy, busy day.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 09, 2018 02:10AM

In a way I find it quite fitting for TBM couples "to pretend" they are already married/sealed at their reception. It's like a precursor of the phoniness and insincerity that is to come as they chase their Mormon dream.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 09, 2018 07:53AM

Not just more, but more and more? I know of no instances of this happening, not that I go to a lot of Mormon wedding receptions. In fact, now that I think about it, the last Mo reception I went to was mine.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 09, 2018 06:14PM

What??? I've never heard of this. Maybe they're getting closer to actually having a real wedding before the temple "wedding." Then they can downplay the temple thing the next day--go do the masonic stuff, get some pics and be off fucking within an hour of it being legal. Sounds like a good plan.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: February 09, 2018 06:43PM

So they can get all the nighties and adult toy gifts from their friends BEFORE the wedding.

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: February 09, 2018 07:12PM

I refused to go on the grounds that first they may not get married. Secondly, they did not have a temple marriage date and thirdly, the woman told her girl friends that guy was afraid to make a commitment. It would be a second marriage for both of them and they were about 50.

But they did get married. She says she is happy but then he works out of town. 2 weeks out, one week home. I say give it a year.

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: February 09, 2018 07:24PM

I did attend one of these years ago. The reason given by the mother of the bride was that the experience they had had with 2 older daughters' weddings/receptions was that with travel, wedding, luncheon then reception it became such a crazy day. So they were hopeful that having the reception the night before the wedding would allow the bride and groom to focus more and enjoy more on the actual wedding. Nice thought, but it still seemed very weird.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.