Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: February 14, 2018 08:22PM

Movement to ban ‘best friends’ in schools growing in America and Europe

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/02/13/american-and-european-schools-consider-banning-best-friends

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 14, 2018 09:45PM

That's the least of worries for American schools.

Priorities are misplaced when that's what the governing bodies are concerned with considering the school shootings that keep happening with regularity. The one today in Florida is the 18th one so far just this year.

It's insanity unleashed on our schools. And someone wants to ban "best friends?" God help us.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/14/florida-school-shooting-brings-yearly-tally-to-18-in-2018.html

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 01:23AM

I can see how it would be easier if a kid who gets killed isn’t your best friend. Better to not have all your eggs in one casket.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 01:06AM

I met my best friend on the first day of eighth grade. We were drawn to each other and had a lot in common. We were both only children, both conscientious students, loved to read, enjoyed many of the same movies, trusted each other with confidences, etc.

We remained best friends for the next 55 years. If the school had tried to interfere with our friendship, we would have resisted. Because of where we lived, we went to different high schools, and we went to different universities, but the closeness was always there.

I can see why there is a flip side. Since her passing, just over 3 years ago, there is a significant gap in my life. My college roommate, to whom I was nearly as close, died about 10 years ago.

There is something special in having a best friend. You gravitate toward each other for any number of reasons, and nobody ought to mess with the beauty of that.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 01:56AM

Maybe we should just let kids be kids. The ebb and flow of our childhood friendships are part of maturing into our adult relationships.

This goes beyond helicopter parenting. This is railroad parenting.

Posted by: slumbering ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 08:44AM

I agree. If a kid is naturally drawn to another kid and they have similar likes/dislikes and interests then they will be best buddies. Fine. Why get in the way of that?
Also, having my best friend through high school made all the difference for me. Having that one person I could rely on got me through it.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 10:17AM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 08:10AM

Kids need to be allowed to grow and develop with the leeway to choose friends and that includes best friends.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 08:32AM

Basically it's the same contrived social equality of everyone getting a trophy... Nobody gets to be a best friend, we're all equally the same friends.

Then you graduate from high school and the shock of your real social status smacks a certain percentage up side the head! But at least with the internet you can do what I do, go online and pretend to be someone interesting... Anyone else here doing that?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 10:31AM

Everyone gets a trophy! Says it all. I think I am becoming one of your disciples EOD.

Why do we think somehow everyone's life is supposed to measure up to. *our* idea of perfect? I was on the outside, or what others saw as a defective life when I was young. I fought hard to get to the inside, and then when I did, found it to be sterile and wanted to be back on the fringes where life was a little more like the rapids on the river.

The more biographies I read the more I realize that life's challenges are what build you up, not tear you down. Coddled people end up boring. (Imagine an evening with Mitt. ZZZZ)

Resistance makes for strong muscles. I wouldn't trade my tough younger life for anything. It's more important to keep an eye out for the ones who need a lift and a hug (if that's allowed anymore in today's society) than to strive for some Stepfordville life on a conveyor belt for all. What is this? One size fits all Mormonism?

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 09:30AM

I find this interesting.

Up until about a year ago one of the questions on my companies employee survey was "Do you have a best friend at work?" It seems that is important to people being satisfied with their work place.

Now the people in the know say we should not have best friends. Makes no sense to me.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 11:41AM

"Diversity" = the balkanization of America. No reason to let common sense and facts override good Progressive theory!

"WCBS-TV in New York reports that some schools are considering banning “best friends,” with the enthusiastic support of education experts." "Experts..." yeah, right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2018 11:44AM by caffiend.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 01:06PM

So kids will have to lie (even more?). Say, we aren't BEST friends. We're just second best friends, once removed. Never to be moved again. Good luck with that dults/ adults.

M@t

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 01:17PM

We need to ban growing up. Then the world will be like "Neverland" and we'll all live happily ever after.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 01:30PM

Jonny, the question/ issue "what is 'growing up'?"might wind up being a contentious thread! ...dare you to start it!!

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 01:34PM

I decided I was a "grown up" when I owned a washer and dryer. No more schlepping laundry to my mother's or the laundry mat.

Posted by: good grief ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 01:36PM

Uh, yeah, no. The article even concedes that "you can’t ban somebody from having a close relationship, and you can’t really ban somebody from having a best friend."

So the premise of the whole article is BS. You really should stop reading The Blaze. Effing Glenn Beck.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.