Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Really? ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 12:35PM

My niece was denied serving a mission by her BP despite her SP and Area Authority approving it. The BP claims he is the "gate keeper" of all things relating to his ward and can determine just whom serves and whom doesn't.

My niece is outgoing, knows the doctrines far better than the BP, and would make a good sales person for the church.

I told her that we would pay for her college courses beginning this summer in lieu of serving a mission.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 12:39PM

Any chance this BP is actually a covert, non-believing Mormon who is doing your niece a favor? Whatever he is, he's probably started your niece on the road to apostasy. Praise Jesus!

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 03:21PM

Hopefully your TBM brother/sister will take the hint and pay for their daughter's college. Your niece is very fortunate to be turned down. I wish that I had been turned down.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 12:42PM

wow. never heard that as a reason.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: February 21, 2018 10:05PM

I was turned down back in the early 1980s, right after finishing college, because "I needed to stay home, find a good man, and get married."

Honest! This WAS the reason given!

(Of course, I am female -- they'd never refuse a male for that reason!)

Posted by: mormonrealitycheck ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 12:58PM

At first glance, these thoughts come to mind:

1. I wonder if the BP knows the truth? If so, perhaps he's trying to keep her from wasting 18 months of her life.

2. I wonder if the BP has a "thing" for your niece. He wants to keep her around. Icky, but not beyond the realm of possibility, for sure.

3. If the BP is really a TBM, I wonder if he knows/suspects something about her (from an interview?) that would disqualify her from a mission, and feels the need to prevent her from serving.

Or something else. In any case, highly irregular.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 01:24PM

Or she might be stark raving looney and the BP knows that the mission president would send her back in a few months. That happens more often that one might think.

But I agree that the described situation is highly irregular.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 12:59PM

This act would fit in nicely with the thread about the a-hole counselors on power trips.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 01:02PM

And therein lies the central problem of Mormonism. That is why interviews need to stop. That is why all those husbands get away with beating their wives. And that is why the church is dying by its own hand.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 01:03PM

Won't your niece be eligible for the singles ward soon enough? Then the decision will be out of this bishop's control. My guess is that this is an old-school bishop who would rather see your niece get married and make babies.

Posted by: scmd not logged in ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 01:08PM

Really? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
it sounds as though the chain of command was somehow circumvented. Back in the olden days 9early 2000's) when I went, we didn't even get to a stake president or beyond without first having bishop's approval. I wonder of the bishop initially gave his approval, then changed his mind, or if the order was somehow bungled.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 01:42PM

"I told her that we would pay for her college courses beginning this summer in lieu of serving a mission."

Best Aunt and Uncle ever. Now, she gets to do something worthwhile that will improve herself instead of wasting 18 months of jumping through hoops, getting brainwashed and pissing people off. The bishop didn't mean to, but he just did her a great favor.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 03:15PM

Other than learning a languageand kearning to get along with others the neuve dodged a bullet.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 07:26PM

You can do both in college. You can even do study abroad! Who knew?

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: February 20, 2018 01:46PM

True. 12+ months in country and live day to day is more desirable in learning a language.

Yes, the school is a better choice with here time.

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 11:27PM

My daughter was denied because she has what used to be called asbergers (now it's filed into autism spectrum). She was fine. A+ student. Worked for year to earn money for it. Went on splits sister missionaries most weeks. Had strong recommendations from bishop, stake president, and seminary teacher - all personal friends at the time. But she honestly answered the question of ever being treated for mental health. Got the thumbs down from 'headquarters' even though the SP appealed it up. Now that I am out I look back and am grateful to the headquarters pricks. She is currently overseas doing a study abroad and has become fluent in a very difficult language. She is incredibly resilient.

You niece's situation is a 'gift'. Encourage a study abroad or peace corps etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2018 11:54PM by mannaz.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 11:34PM

BP is a control feign and the power has gone to his head.

He did your niece a favor, but it should have been her decision to make. Not his.

What a moron.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 20, 2018 12:06PM

Wow, I guess even a bishop can do something useful now and then, even if he does it for the wrong reason...!

:)

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: February 21, 2018 12:24AM

I am glad she has you in her life! She is saving 18 months of her life and the I think $400 per month on missionary fees.

I do wonder, maybe they know somoeone is interested in her and that's why they want to keep her off the mission field? Do they need her for a church calling? What are their motives? Why say no to free labor?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 21, 2018 12:49AM

Isn't it Wonderful, Marvelous how Mormonism continues to shoot itself in the foot?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2018 12:50AM by GNPE.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 21, 2018 03:34AM

The gatekeeper needs to meet the keymaster.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 21, 2018 05:14PM

It all boils down to control !! control !! control !!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2018 05:14PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 22, 2018 12:53AM

Called ON
Called OFF

Called Names...

She can [NOW] call herself (whatever she likes). May she continue to grow strong and firm, away from MS (Missing [missionary] Service), and into the light/ herself. Time Will tell.

You'll help her with education but are you also willing and able to "educate" her as well? It would help, to know this, in order to answer the question.

Denied is not the word. It's probably more like 'relieved'. Did you ask her? At least she'll 'school'. That's cool.

M@t

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2018 08:10AM by moremany.

Posted by: ProvoX ( )
Date: February 22, 2018 12:58AM

Take it as a sign from "The Lord"

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 23, 2018 04:52AM

I am not universally opposed to FOOL time MORmON missions, after all my mission was the very thing that showed me just how impossibly PHONY and STUPID that MORmONISM really was, insure my final exit from the MORmON cult.

You sell THE MORmON church to the public, then you have to get THE putrid smell of MORmONISM in your own nostrils ....... at least you SHOULD!!!!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.