Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: February 20, 2018 06:40AM

...and I woke up absolutely freezing. Didn't take long to decide that the power was out. I looked outside and I could see power in the building across the road.

My computer, router and fridge were all out and so were the lights in the hall.

My phone said it was 19 degrees outside. So I figured I'd just crawl back in my bed and hope for the best.

But, by 4:22 it was back on. As was my electric blank, microwave clock etc. Not sure what time it went back on.

I hate winter....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 20, 2018 06:51AM

Just think of all those Mormons thinking their prayers were answered. Yay! God turned the power back on.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: February 20, 2018 09:47AM

I'm betting a plow or car took out a power pole. They can usually switch the routing within 10 minutes when that happens.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 20, 2018 11:06AM

That's nothing. When I lived in West Valley a heavy snow brought down a lot of tree branches onto power lines and knocked out power for two days.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: February 20, 2018 02:23PM

I remember power going out in Sandy for a couple of days, sometime in the 90's I think. We bundled up the kids and went to her parents place over in Cottonwood area. The kids thought it was fun having grandpa fix breakfast. I don't remember why now.

We moved into the house in 1980 and I was there until 1997. She's still there and fell into the window well that I wrote about several weeks ago.

Seems like we got lots of heavy snow back then, more than seems to be in the area now.

Posted by: daveintx ( )
Date: February 20, 2018 11:09PM

I live in Houston metro area. In 2008 after Hurricane Ike, the power to entire metro area was off for up to ten days. At my house, it was seven days.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 20, 2018 02:48PM

I can relate...

I live in a rural area. Twice in the past 15 years, big fires have been started by power lines going down in high winds -- mainly because the local power monopoly doesn't maintain their lines, trim trees around them, replace old wooden poles with metal ones, etc.

They got sued (and lost) after the last big one.

So now, when wind gusts get over about 30MPM (which has happened twice in the past two months), they simply shut off our power. So they won't be sued for starting a fire.

We went 3 days without power in December, another 2 days in January. Because the power company is too cheap/lazy to maintain their system.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: February 20, 2018 02:51PM

We lost power yesterday at about 5:00 am, east of Oregon City, OR.

I bought a 10K watt generator last year and my electrician buddy and I converted my breaker box into a reverse feed circuit for the generator. That way, everything in the house can be supplied by the generator, if it's powerful enough. No need for a separate breaker box for just a few things that need to run.

I hadn't even tried it out, but yesterday I plugged it in, hooked it up to the propane tank, pushed the button and it fired right up. I have to break it in so I didn't load it too much, but I had 2 refrigerators, a freezer, well pump, wood stove fan, lights, etc. running with no problem.

And the bonus is, my cable/ internet provider is on the same grid as us, so when we lose it, so do they. The cable box has an LED that blinks when no signal is there, so when that LED stays on, I know power is back and can turn off the generator.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 21, 2018 12:17AM

You'd better hope it's NOT reverse fed !

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: February 21, 2018 10:40AM

"Reverse feed" puts electricity back out into the power lines as well.... VERY dangerous and for reasons that should be more than obvious. Unless you isolate the breaker box from the main lines coming in to your home you are going to kill someone.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: February 21, 2018 11:34AM

No worries, its all good. I said "reverse feed" meaning that the the main power is off and the generator is now feeding the house power through the breaker box.

I mixed up my terminology....that's why my buddy is the electrician and not me :)

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 20, 2018 06:01PM

My mom's furnace went out in Ogden in the dead of winter one year. She called to tell me how depressed that made her because she wasn't able to fix it at the moment. Both her and her husband were on SS, and a very fixed income.

We tried cheering her up as much as possible. Told her to wear lots of layers and use blankets to stay warm.

My daughter told her to have a cup of hot chocolate to cheer her up. I don't know if that worked, but it made my mom laugh to hear that from her granddaughter. :)

The Ogden winters can get very cold like Salt Lake City's. The cold air settles into the valley surrounded by those tall mountains covered in snow. It's real pretty to look at when you're not outside freezing in it.

Where I live we had a big power outage in 2006 from an ice storm that hit early, in October. It's now remembered as the "October Surprise" storm. It brought down trees that had been in existence for decades, and power lines throughout the metro area. My neighbor's tree limbs broke and brought down the power lines in my backyard - electric and phone. It was TWO WEEKS before the power company could get to my house and street.

Arching power lines were in the streets, along with dead tree limbs - those were the higher priority to attend to. My house, one residence, was an afterthought.

My electrical system had to be replaced because of that one storm. And so did my roof. Wowsy.

The only tree in the neighborhood that didn't break apart because of the ice storm was my red maple tree in the front yard. It's limbs and branches were like elastic during that storm. The other trees cracked and split. But my red maple weathered the storm just fine. It taught me a lesson in Taoism. How not to break when life's storms land on our doorstep.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 20, 2018 07:36PM

It looks pretty falling. Then it is "what the hell?"

My boyfriend had his daughter and her boyfriend and my boyfriend's best friend coming in to Utah to ski this week. He was so unhappy last week. He had only been skiing twice this year because of the lack of snow.

They are loving every minute, going to a different ski resort every day. Three days now. I'm assuming they'll ski the rest of the week.

(I'd go with them, but I'm afraid of breaking a leg at this point in my life. Last thing I need anymore.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2018 07:37PM by cl2.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 20, 2018 07:50PM

I never dared to go skiing because I was very afraid of breaking my leg. One of our fourth grade classmates did that and came to school in a cast and crutches for weeks or months. I made a pledge to myself then and there I was not going to take up skiing. Haven't yet.

Although I did reserve the option to hang out at ski lodges in front of a warm fire sipping hot cocoa.

;-)

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: February 20, 2018 07:52PM

We were without for five hours yesterday. It was freezing when I woke and I needed my coffee. Lol. I guess I.could have gone to Starbucks but there was no hot water to shower.Besides without coffee going out was too much effort Hard times.

Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: February 20, 2018 08:10PM

This why I live in Hawaii... :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.