Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 22, 2018 12:53PM

In the vein of this post...

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2082503

...I'm curious what this forum's opinions are on which of the living "prophets" (AKA shades of the last century) will embrace the 21st century ways?

That is, the ones that will actually make it to the throne of The Prophet.

It would be very entertaining to have a LDS President tweeting like Trump, using a phone's camera to document anything, and/or Facebook Live-ing his prophetic wisdom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anon1223 ( )
Date: February 22, 2018 01:23PM

Agreed...would be very interesting. I don't think Nelson, et al will ever Tweet, etc because it sets to much of an informal, even casual approach (uncontrolled) and precedent for them. They are constantly having to back pedal, soft pedal, damage control, and PR control the way it is. To see a profit tweet - it would send chills down the spines of spineless Q15. They would develop cardiac problems..and true it's good for that Nelson is there to help in that, but he doesn't want to have to.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: February 22, 2018 02:05PM

Would their tweets include selfies with God and/or Jesus?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 22, 2018 02:11PM

Jesus would totally do a photobomb wearing an "I'm with stupid" T-shirt!

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: February 22, 2018 03:41PM

I can't help but think that, if God and Jesus really existed, they would look at the procession of Mormon prophets with a shake of the head and a snickered, "Idiots."

Date: February 23, 2018 01:56PM

Last I heard Mormons believe in a literal "flesh and bone" pair of gods. The Prophet could totally take a "First Selfie."

But those things are too sacred to share.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 23, 2018 10:45AM

If I had unlimited postage to waste, I would gladly send each member of the Q12 a ton of gravel to use as seer stones. Because the first presidency is so dense, I would need to send them a ton of cement for their blockheads.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 23, 2018 11:53AM

If they ever do (and I doubt they will), they'll just be "speaking as men..."

Prophets speaking as prophets don't make any doctrinal statements on social media.

Or anywhere else. :)

Date: February 23, 2018 01:57PM

He was totally tweeting as a man.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: February 23, 2018 06:50PM

I think if they actually did have the truth, they would be using it as soon as it was available. What a better way to quickly reach a world audience.

The fact that they aren't using it says more than if they were.

Date: February 26, 2018 12:17PM

I was conversing with my Exmormon friend last night and trying to explain how Mormonism isn't explicit. The leaders won't tell a lower leader explicitly what to do. They imply and manipulate their intentions.

Social media is the exact opposite of this mode of distributing information.

If Mormonism were starting now, all the unsavory things would be unposted ala The Nauvoo Expositor.

But early Mormonism had newspapers where "the prophets" had a voice and was a vehicle similar to social media today.

So why don't they use it? Because their business isn't to promote a conman's "truths" anymore. Their business is to survive in world where most everything Joseph Smith did has to have religious justification. They can't be like their founder. They can't talk to their people. They can't enlighten their fellow religionists in even their most cherished beliefs. They have to throw up a corporation vetted image and preach Mormon "Guideposts" from their pulpit, never touch social media personally, and avoid mixing too much with their believers for fear their "talks" will be aired on social media.

Quite a load of crap if you try to swallow the Mormon story of The Internet happening for their truths, prophets, and beliefs to be spread.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 01:06PM

TSCC uses (ANTI)-social media in many ways [usually not good] so the "leaders" don't need to personally.

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.