Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 01:16PM

About 830pm last night, my middle son, soon to be 40 years old (and he and his wife and friends are going on a brewery tour to Fort Collins, CO) texted me to see if I wanted to go with him to see Margo Price do a show at the State Room,a decent venue here in Salt Lake. I said "Sure" not knowing much about Margo Price although I did hear an interview with them on Fresh Air a few months ago. I didn't tell him that I was THIS close to getting ready for bed but I appreciated that he would call, since his wife didn't want to go.

Margo has a great country rock voice and their band is 6 guys, drummer, 2 guitarists, bass player, keyboard and a guy on pedal steel, plus her. It was VERY loud and even when the band took a break and she and her husband did a 3 song acoustic set, it was still loud. Before the break, she sat down on a separate drum kit and did a 10 minute set which was about as cool as anything I've seen recently.

The State Room is a nice venue, although it's always interesting to watch people dance on the floor when they really shouldn't be showing off their dance skills. The same people will get up today and decide that they probably had too many $7.00 beers last night.

The show got over at 1145ish and we had to walk south to the old Sears store parking lot. Per my phone, it was 17 degrees. I was glad to get home into bed.

Here she is on Stephen Colbert's show recently. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qQ_XZ8cOiM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 25, 2018 02:03AM

It's nice to get out every now and then, isn't it? I only rarely go out at night these days. I went out to dinner a few weeks back and realized that I wasn't used to seeing the night lights for my locale. During the work week it isn't unusual for me to be asleep by 9 PM.

Posted by: Margie ( )
Date: February 25, 2018 04:04AM

Maybe those people are not "showing off their dance skills" Maybe they just like to dance.Might not have anything to do with drinking too many beers. I have always liked to dance and never thought I was showing off. I loved disco. I still like disco. My husband does not like to dance and he told me I looked stupid when I tried to dance with him. That really hurt me.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 25, 2018 08:54AM

Where is the state room and how large is it ?

And I miss the old Terrace Ballroom.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: February 25, 2018 09:52AM

On State St, West side, between 6th-7th South, across from the Bayou. Good venue to see music. Every seat has a good view of stage. My guess is it holds about 300, but that's just a guess. They have a good website that will tell you more.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 25, 2018 10:02AM

That was nice your kids are close by and remembered to invite you to an event like that. His wife's "loss" was your "gain." Plus to get to spend some time man to man with your adult child. Great op for dad.

Last night I went to a local play about a woman's odyssey who survived the Holocaust, and went on to immigrate to America. It was sad, bittersweet, and somewhat joyful despite the loss and suffering she endured. She reminded me quite a bit of the late Anne Bancroft (in both features and voice.)

It was an intense performance by a fine actress. I was glad to be able to attend. (Was also glad to call it a wrap after it ended.)

Live theater v. going to see a movie? I like both, but the theater experience is more raw, more real as in the moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2018 10:05AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 25, 2018 10:09AM

I'm so glad that my grandma and her two sisters emigrated before the Holocaust. They were Polish speakers living in the Pale, a heavily Jewish section of Russia. Grandma emigrated about four months after a major pogrom there. When I was doing family genealogy, I noticed that someone with her family name, which is relatively rare, was incarcerated at Treblinka (and I believe survived.)

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 25, 2018 10:25AM

The survivor was one of the 'lucky' ones to survive Treblinka. Some spend their lives suffering from survivor's guilt for having been able to.

I lost cousins there at Treblinka, and Theresienstadt that I know of. I'm sure there are more unaccounted for.

My German Jewish ancestors came to America mid-1800's. The family that stayed behind - some tried to assimilate by converting to Christianity. Some migrated to other European countries. Some did both, like my cousin Max Born and Kurt. Both professors. Max fled to England in 1933. Kurt to Amsterdam the same year. Both men became Christians (in name only.) Neither was particularly religious. They became assimilated to protect themselves and their families. That they were both born Jewish would have cost them their lives at the hands of the Germans. The Germans would have killed either man regardless because they'd been born Jewish.

Kurt was jailed in an interim camp in Amsterdam, briefly, by the gestapo. His daughter was a Dutch Resistance Fighter, who was able to get her father freed on faked and real documents before he was sent to a concentration camp. She literally saved her father's life. She also helped to save Amsterdam's most prominent historian of the Holocaust. Her family was friends with his before the war. She went to live with him and his wife so they could help her learn the ways of being a Jewish wife because she'd been born in a mixed household as her father was Jewish, her mother Christian.

The Dutch historian's wife went out to market one day during the razzia. She didn't return home. After her husband realized she wasn't coming back, he went into deep hiding in the Dutch countryside. My cousin would bring him books, food, and other material during his years in deep hiding. Sometimes he had to change hiding places to protect his anonymity. He never recovered from the war's effects. His greatest book was to retell the Holocaust from the eyes of its victims, as prose/historical writing. He was able to put the feelings of the victims in the words that they were no longer able to express themselves. That is his only book that was reprinted in English. The rest of his works are all in Dutch.

Kurt's daughter (and son,) helped to save many Jews from dying during the Holocaust. They are the unsung heroes of that war. :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2018 10:26AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: girlawakened ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 05:36PM

Amyjo- I'm headed to Amsterdam on business in a few weeks. I plan on visiting the Verzetsmuseum/Dutch Resistance Museum. Very interested to know more about that group of brave individuals. Thanks for sharing!

Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 06:12PM

I enjoy these updates the most when people describe the enjoyment of life outside of Mormonism. In this respect, it isn't off topic at all!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.