Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: alaskawild ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 10:21PM

to leave the church?

I know this is a difficult figure to quantify, but if anyone wants to take a swing at it, please do.

My guess is a lot of people due to familial, cultural and societal pressures are simply unwilling to formally and openly walk away from the church, so they stay in and just grind through it.

I just started watching this video and its interesting to hear Mr. Palmer talk about higher ups in the church who no longer believe but are unwilling to formally leave...

https://youtu.be/kHsvZooc4Bc

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 25, 2018 11:22AM

I would think that there are maybe 10% to 25& of the shadow members that are like me "It's just too much hassle to formally resign. It is a cost-benefit decision"

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 25, 2018 12:36PM

The cost is so high (many think they can't afford it) that many are afraid to go solo.

M@t

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: February 25, 2018 06:45PM

When the new tax plan goes into effect it will cost more $ to stay Mormon.

Members who know how to do the math will realize they are losing more $ than membership is worth.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 25, 2018 07:06PM

Oh, I can think of a few of my own family members who are "enduring to the end" so to speak because of the social price of leaving. It is something that is never spoken about.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: February 25, 2018 07:14PM

I think it's natural to want to think that everyone's miserable inside the cult. For those who have gotten out, it validates them to believe so.

However, I am of the school of thought that people do what they want to do. Flat out. Ultimately, they do what they want to do.

I believe most Mormons either LOVE it or don't care enough to rebel.

Not everyone believes in the religion they belong to. And I contend that those who don't believe and yet stay members do so because they don't have a problem belonging to a religion they don't believe in. In fact they're actually getting something out of it.

I think many people belong to a religion for the social benefits. I doubt there are a lot of religions out there that have a more complete social package to offer their members than Moism. And I'm not talking about the budget they allocate for ward dances. I'm talking cleaning the toilets and other such things. I'm sure there are a lot of Mo's who consider cleaning the chapel as sort of social. Demented and sad, but social. For those people, the Christmas party is a family social gathering. But so is setting up for and cleaning up after that same party. As are all their other obligations including home teaching, callings and yes, the 3-hour tou--er, block.

I mean, what easier way to have an instant and complete social life for the entire family than to join TSCC?

They don't have to think about it. They like not thinking about it. They just do what they're told and they really don't care if the doctrine doesn't make sense. They spout off the mormon platitudes and act pious because that's part of the package. As a Mo, they get to act pious. It's one of the perks. It's always fun to put yourself out as holier-than-all-those-gentile-thous out there.

Now as far as the GA's not believing. I just don't buy it. I think it's absurd for Grant Palmer or anyone else to claim the GA's don't believe. They're literally the Kings of the Church. Ask Queen Elizabeth if she doesn't really believe in the Divine Right of Kings. Of course she does! And it's very easy for her to believe in it as well. Just as it's easy for the GA's to know the church is true.

Anybody in that church who doesn't believe or is struggling, ultimately either drinks the kool-aid or gets out. Just like you all have done.

But this is just my no-dog-in-this-fight, nevermo opinion on it.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 25, 2018 07:29PM

Based on what I've read on this board and elsewhere, I think the number of people who stay in for social, cultural, family, and/or business reasons may be rather high -- anywhere from 25-50% of the membership, depending on the ward and the area. The pressure to stay in appears to be far higher in the smaller towns and cities in Utah and the Moridor than in SLC or the mission field.

We are already seeing a great deal of inactives and exmos in the greater SLC area. Europe is largely dead and Great Britain (according to recent reports) is bleeding heavily.

It helps that Utah has some momentum for attracting technology companies along with an influx of nevermo workers.

Whenever church members see siblings, cousins, coworkers, friends, etc. leaving and negotiating life successfully, their own ties to the church may be loosened.

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: February 25, 2018 09:22PM

If by shadow member you mean going through all the motions but believing some and not all. Rationalizing there is more good than bad. Willing to pay tithing to keep social status in calling s etc. Than I think many, Even outside Mordor. Professionally at conferences when I catch up with Mormons I've known for 10-20 years the first thing they do is talk about their callings. Whose just got called as a bishop, who just got released from high council, and so forth. Of course we men have naturally grouped together and women are small in numbers and on the fringe of this annual 'ritual'. Yes, there is much to lose. I'm now open where I stand now when drawn in to the conversation with a "I'm not really doing Mormonism anymore". I found out quickly who my actual friends were - those who would still talk with me as they had before. It was not many. So there is a high social price and I'd be lying to say I've not paid it. But, I am slowly developing new friendships.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2018 12:07AM by mannaz.

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: February 25, 2018 10:20PM

The cost of leaving can be very high, and the longer one has been a member, or if one is BIC, the higher it may be. For years you've had social structure, someplace to be, things to do that made you feel valued and valuable, family, friends---who at the least may be disappointed and worried for you that you left---or who may actually be vindictive, people you thought really cared about you may be verbally mean, may leave you out of family occasions. You aren't used to thinking for yourself about some very important matters, but rather, doing what you're told by authorities. You haven't even had to pick out your own underwear!!

And, should you try to cut ties a bit so as to have space and time to think things through and research on your own, if the local powers that be are diligent, they will put on pressure by checking up on you, make sure you have a calling, check up on your home teacher to make sure he's doing his job, love-bomb you----whatever it takes to keep that tether short and tight. =(

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 12:13AM

Alas, I have been put into the 'not worth the time' category. My DW is TBM and goes but narry a visit or hello from the ward or HP's group - several of which I thought were friends. No home teaching visit even attempted in four years.

Posted by: mythb4meat ( )
Date: February 25, 2018 11:52PM

many, many members and families do not leave the Church, because they have too much to lose. Everyone including their friends, family, nieghbors, employers, etc....would watch, and potentially shun them. It is a big risk...

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 06:08AM

I have two younger sisters who have free housing for staying temple worthy. My Mormon father is their god.

Posted by: Some Name ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 06:18AM

I don't believe this number can ever be calculated. I'm still active but on here - go figure. With some you can tell when they leave home and go inactive or go inactive after the death of a loved one.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.