Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Valued ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 07:15AM

In October of 1978 while I was in the MTC Spencer W Kimball gave the conference talk in which he said to not hunt for sport.
“I never could see why a man should be imbued with a blood-thirsty desire to kill and destroy animal life....
...I do not believe any man should kill animals or birds unless he needs them for food, and then he should not kill innocent little birds that are not intended for food for man. I think it is wicked for men to thirst in their souls to kill almost everything which possesses animal life. It is wrong, and I have been surprised at prominent men whom I have seen whose very souls seemed to be athirst for the shedding of animal blood.”

Why has this Mormon commandment never really been followed among the TBMs?

After hearing this talk, I can remember one of my MTC leaders telling us that he should get rid of his guns now because it was clear what the prophet said.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 08:50AM

Because appearance is everything... substance doesn’t matter.
BTW, I own plenty of firearms, none of which are used for hunting. Oddly, on this topic I agree with SWK.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 09:27AM

Because he was speaking as a man.
And the "hunt for sport" folks think the god they imagine approves of their blood lust, and would join them if he could find ammo for his out-of-date 30/30.

Posted by: MRM ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 12:16PM

And the story the next day was the church's switchboard was overloaded with upset members.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 12:23PM

It was a good talk, along with pointing out that we are a war-like people and should sue for peace before we start a war.

And then along came Hinckley, who supported the invasion of Iraq and the hunting preserves the morg bought.

Needless to say I was royally pissed.

Mormonism sucks.

Posted by: saucie (nli) ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 11:26PM

Dude.... good job on the bird translation.... you have hidden

talents my friend. ;)

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 05:34PM

We were allowed to free range on the ranch, farms and mountains. Grandpa had very few rules but one strictly enforced was.... you kill it, you eat it. Unless of course it was a rattle snake or some animal threatening people or livestock.

Grandpa had plenty of guns and enjoyed hunting into his 90s.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 07:00PM

My dad has told me the story about remembering hearing this talk live. He also said that a hymn was written soon after that said something to the effect of “don’t shoot the birds.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2018 07:02PM by midwestanon.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 07:21PM

I hate birds!!! They always seem to know exactly when you just washed your car too. They’re also dangerous around planes, being sucked down into the engine and all

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 07:39PM

I love birds and music. Putting the two together is even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5aAp__XQOQ

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 07:41PM

Yes. Why waste your time on birds when you could be judging others, praying for moisture, and sacrificing your oldest son on an altar? Priorities brothers and sisters. Priorities!

I love birds. They all come to my garden, even a hooded oriole, some yellow finches, and ruby throated hummingbirds. Oh, and doves. Keep your guns away from my place Mormons. Just go baptize something and leave nature alone.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 08:20PM

Birds might not be singing.

They might be screaming because they are afraid of heights.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 08:33PM

:)

"Tweet tweet tweety-tweet tweet"

Translation:

"Oh, crap, this branch is high! What the hell am I doing up here? Arrrgghhh!"

Date: February 26, 2018 09:23PM

That’s funny! Maybe that’s why they fly very low a lot of times.
I don’t know how many times that they came close to my windscreen or hood of car , like they want you to hit them, kamikaze style,

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 10:40PM

Date: February 26, 2018 11:22PM

Like the ragtime melody. It reminds me of all of those goofy songs from the 60s.
I hate pigeons. That’s the only thing that I didn’t like living in England. They have more than their share of pigeons.
I hated trying to relax on a bench , where other people are throwing food at them. They seem to eat anything and are aggressive, coming right up to you. I wanted to kick them away at times, but there was always people around.
Those things carry diseases, but people there didn’t seem to care,

Posted by: anonandanon ( )
Date: February 27, 2018 09:06AM

H5N1 ie. Bird Flu ? Them or us?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 27, 2018 09:08AM

Can I kill the big birds and eat them ?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 27, 2018 12:24PM

Wasn't SWK involved in commercial agriculture?

What about all the wildlife forever killed by herbicides and pesticides?

Maybe this talk was directed at BKP. I think he was a enamored with birds. Wasn't BKP also a taxidermist?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 27, 2018 01:33PM

Don't kill the little ones but if you do, there is the miracle of forgiveness. The big birds are profitable.

"Critics don't like it because it promotes recreational hunting preferentially accessible to the rich, the Church provides no public financial statements, and they (the critics) think the use of service missionaries constitutes "slave labor". But since it primarily involves bird hunting, this means the resource will be consumed by the hunter. This means it is NOT trophy hunting (hunting of "trophy elk" is not immoral if the meat is consumed). In addition, the Church, being privately owned, has no obligation to provide public financial statements since Church leaders draw their mandate from the Lord rather than the people. And finally, the use of senior couples as voluntary service missionaries hardly constitutes "slave labor"."
http://mormonism-unveiled.blogspot.com/2009/10/westlake-farm-commercial-hunting-area.html

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: February 27, 2018 06:06PM

Too many Mormons love their guns and gun culture more than the prophet.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.