Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 04:45AM

Nah, that's just a does of relativism. It'll pass.

For better or worse, reality has a way of reasserting itself.

Posted by: SonOfLaban ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 04:53AM

Truth is refreshing. Anything less than it is not worth knowing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prf12hxu65o

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 07:23AM

I agree with much of what this guy says. He goes off the rails as he approaches the end of his spiel.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 09:12AM

Life isn't reality tv, contrary to the current state of the union.

You just need to wake up from the bad dream you're having. Along with the rest of us.

:/

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 10:04AM

The end of reality happened on January 20, 1981.

Posted by: Historian ( )
Date: March 05, 2018 08:52PM

On Jan. 20, 1981, Iran released 52 Americans who had been held hostage for 444 days.

Reality ended....

Date: March 06, 2018 12:08AM

Tell us why they were held for 444 days when Iran wanted to release them sooner.

Date: March 06, 2018 02:58PM

Dave -

Hoping that you find peace in your lifetime...

Date: March 06, 2018 11:38PM

I hope you learn history in your lifetime.

Date: March 07, 2018 09:19AM

Hoping that you find peace.....

Posted by: Witless Protection ( )
Date: March 07, 2018 12:36AM

Having been born already cynical I was in Sr High School when this occurred. My social studies teacher put on the inauguration and told us we needed to see it. She did not offer her opinion but from the look on her face I don't believe she was a big fan of Reagan. As soon as the plane set down with the hostages the announcers were ooing&aahing over the great fear struck into the hearts of those lousy Mohammadans now that Jimmy Carter was gone and a Real Man was in office.
All I could think of was Reagan bought off the kidnappers. A few years later? What do you know? I was right.

Date: March 07, 2018 12:48AM

Is that an allusion to the Iran-Contra Affair?

Because if it is, it is off the mark. The Iran-Contra fiasco didn't start until five years later.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 11:10AM

"Life could be beautiful, but it just won't." Lily Tomlin

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 11:33AM

"Having poo'ed my pants in front of Queen Victoria and the Petite Court, and then had my false teeth fall out and clatter across the burnished marble flooring, sliding towards Her Royal Highness, as I tried to apologize, and then been welcomed back to court after a 12 year self-imposed exile, I testify that living frugally in Micronesia while high interests rates compounded my savings from five figures to six figures... I've lost my train of thought. Tennis anyone?"

- -Judic West, the introductory paragraph to his holographic will

Posted by: saucie (nli) ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 12:21AM

Just dropped in to tell you that's the best paragraph

I've read in ages, especially the image of the false teeth

on the burnished marble flooring. It was inspirational.

Give my best to Judic, he and I go back a long way.

Date: March 06, 2018 12:23AM

You're so kind! Would you like some hot chocolate?

Date: March 06, 2018 12:25AM

Get a room, you two.

Date: March 06, 2018 12:34AM

Hi Lot's wife... I'm so glad you're here on RFM.

Date: March 06, 2018 12:44AM

Hi Saucie,

I feel the same about you guys!

Date: March 06, 2018 12:28AM

No thanks mi amor.. maybe later.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 05, 2018 09:07PM

The Berlin Wall came down and the Soviet Union ceased to exist. China decided to become a capitalist country. It was "The End of History," according to Francis Fukuyama in a book of the same title. Liberal Democracy was the final, permanent dialectic.

Hooray! And now we are all living in a world of peace, prosperity, tolerance, and good will. All men are brothers; all sisters are sistryns. Isn't Utopia wonderful?

Now, a little dose of reality...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4453666/The-world-war-Interactive-map-reveals-conflicts.html

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 05, 2018 11:30PM

This evil is different and more insidious.

Suppose I told you the sky was green.

You then say that although it can appear to be different colours, due to the scattering of light from the sun it's blue.

But what if I tell you that's a hoax made up by The Super Secret Society That Controls Everything to fool people -- just like gravity.

Opinions are not facts. Creating an artificial reality in order to impose an ideology is impossible.

Unfortunately, that doesn't stop people from trying.

The First Dark Age was bad, the second was worse, and we don't need a third. It makes no sense.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2018 11:40PM by anybody.

Date: March 06, 2018 12:05AM

Early days, anybody. It's still early days.

Date: March 06, 2018 04:51AM

We shall see. Hopefully things will come out all right. But still...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dELhVMET3E

"Is it true that we Greeks are really dead and only seem alive? And in our fallen state we imagine that a dream is life? Or are we truly alive, and life itself dead?"
-- Greek passerby, witnessing the destruction of the Library in 391 A.D.

The destruction of the Library of Alexandria, as portrayed by the film "Agora" and the documentary "Hypatia and Alexandria."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2018 10:58AM by anybody.

Date: March 05, 2018 11:23PM

How about,

"I have lived to see the beginning of reality - and that makes me very, very curious."

Date: March 05, 2018 11:35PM

Date: March 06, 2018 12:17AM

how about a re-re-naissance?

Another go-around, so to speak! We could all take up extreme distance jogging, and meet once a year near the top of Mt. Whitney!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 08:59AM

I have no clue what this is about.

Date: March 08, 2018 12:44AM

This example you are familiar with.

Mormonism is an artificial reality. It's made up. It's not real -- and people base their entire lives on people, places, and ideas that never existed and are patently false.

Now imagine someone tells you that your world, history, and perception of what is real is false as with Mormonism. Unlike Mormonism you have facts and scientific evidence to support your position. Unfortunately, you are unable to convince them as they will deny the validity of anything you say that is contrary to their inflexible ideology. Trying to hold a conversation with such people is difficult because your concept of what is real and what is not is so fundementally different.

Now suppose you are surrounded by such people -- just like someone who realises the truth about Mormonism behind the Zion Curtain. They ignore facts. They ignore reason. Logic is meaningless. Instead, they regard irrational conspiracy theories as reality and lies as truth. Their reality is a created existence solely meant to validate their own ideology and not the other way around.

How would you feel if your fate and your future (if any) were in the hands of such people?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2018 12:45AM by anybody.

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 10:15AM

These cryptic posts crack me up! You see them on FB, too. Real head-scratchers!

Date: March 06, 2018 10:28AM

Date: March 06, 2018 10:54AM

The opposite is more disturbing.

I found this definition of reality: "the world or the state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them."

I have lived to see the end of my idealistic and notional idea of things. It was much nicer than "what is" I am afraid. This is why I am sad that I actually don't get my own planet and with it, my own reality.

Now I am sentenced to picking though life like an old speckled hen (age spots in my case) who is hunting for bugs in the gravel and weeds barely finding enough to fill the craw.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 12:08PM

Its just one of an infinite number of realities. SO just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Posted by: Reality Check ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 01:33PM

the only thing that is ending is your delusions. Reality cant end.

Date: March 06, 2018 01:38PM

Date: March 06, 2018 05:31PM

I do not generate my own alternative reality distortion field to deny fact and validate any crazy ideology that might enthrall me -- as some others are want to do...

Posted by: : ) ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 07:20PM

I will believe it when you get a certified professional opinion from an objective professional

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 08:41PM

So, which end of reality did you see?

One thing to keep in mind: reality has infinite persistence and patience. You can shuck and jive for a while, but some time, some place, reality will assert itself.

To give an example, New Orleans is below sea level. That's reality. Some day it will flood again.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 08:53PM

Interesting thing about reality...

It doesn't care if we accept it or not.
Or believe something contrary to it.

It *can't* care.

It was around long before us.
It'll likely be around long after us.

Seen the end of it?

Hmph. Hardly. :)

Date: March 07, 2018 12:06AM

Gravity is reality. Ultimately everything will fall towards, in our case, the earth.

But sometimes someone throws a ball upward, or shoots a rocket upward, and it stays up for a long time before falling back to towards the center of gravity.

The longer the deviation, the more one wants to avoid being under the rocket when it comes crashing down.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: March 07, 2018 12:25AM

anybody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t
Reality NEVER ends.
"Nothing is the end of the world, except the end of the world." Obama, explaining to his daughters why it didnt matter if he handed off the nuclear football to a pnssy grabbing white suoremacist.
Look at the brightside.
Even if Jesusland's Village Idiot nukes NK and China/USSR retaliates, at least the Waterbears will survive.
Theres no killing those little bastards. They can withstand 10,000 times the radiation it takes to kill all of us.
You could turn the Earth into a ball of plasma and they'd survive.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens, Wise Wise Man, is close to earning the title of shortest lived sub species of Homo that ever lived.
Its a secular miracle we have not uused nukes in 70yrs since Hiroshima/Nagasaki.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: March 07, 2018 08:34PM

REALITY IS AN ILLUSION

Date: March 07, 2018 08:46PM

Reality is at the mercy of sensory perception.

"Sensory perception occurs in organisms capable of performing neurophysiological processing of the stimuli in their environment, and covers the processes commonly called "the senses": hearing, vision, taste, smell and so on."

If someone's thyroid is defective it can cause a vast range of symptoms that create all kinds of havoc. Same for some other organs. So what if your brain is a little wonky? Chances are many people's are. An entire psychological community thrives on it. So why trust your brain? Reality is only as valuable as your ability to process it.

One man's meat is another man's poison, or so they say.

It's all in the perception.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 07, 2018 09:59PM

I worked hard to escape reality in the seventies. Now I miss it.

Posted by: autofield ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 02:38PM

Ask your doctor if Zoloft is right for you (because you all apparently need it).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.