Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: O-deladi-da-deladi ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 01:25PM

Imagine living on a parking lot outside the grand and magnificent Versailles Castle in France.

Everything you do on that small parking lot makes the enormous castle fall apart. Time after time. Whatever you do out there is wrong. That is what I feel living with a narcissistic sibling.

I see this palace fall time after time and I feel small on that little parking lot. It is absurd.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 01:39PM

I grew up with 9 siblings in a over 3200 sq foot home.

I had some of my siblings and parents stay here and some of them staying over on their way to Nauvoo and I got some feedback that my house was too small.

I'm glad I have nothing to do with them anymore. Numbers of children, size of houses and paychecks seem as important to them as sizes of their callings and testimonies.

That kind of self-absorption is probably great for them but not me. I'm not humble but I wouldn't trade my contentment with their delusions of grandeur.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 07, 2018 09:29PM

Mormon family is a drag. I had a sibling make fun of my "dilapidated" little house, and he sleeps on someone's boat! They are ignorant, and I have nothing to do with them.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: March 07, 2018 12:57AM

So, if you want some peace, you have to move to a different parking lot where this person won't be aware of what you are doing, so they can't react to it or try to manipulate you to believe that you are responsible when they fall apart.

If you are dealing with a true narcissist, the only way to find peace is to disconnect from them, or at least give them as little information about your life as possible. Keep them as distant as you can. Sometimes you can achieve this while being publicly polite.

Another strategy is only to talk to them when other people are around. Some narcissists at least try to act like good citizens when other people are around.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 07, 2018 01:04PM

imaworkinonit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another strategy is only to talk to them when
> other people are around. Some narcissists at least
> try to act like good citizens when other people
> are around.

Great advice. My mother hid her worst in her home. In public she was more restrained.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 04:46PM

You need to stop trying to repair Versailles and move on.

Helping someone who makes no effort themselves is useless and a waste of time.

Posted by: Not Codependent Anymore ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 12:02PM

I am on my way. The world is large outside the parking lot.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.