Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 02:32PM

"Do you want to come to a chocolate party? It's at the Shlabotnik's house! He's an attorney."

"Is it an attorney chocolate party?"

"No, it's with some people from the church."

"Then no."

After all the trouble I've had with the Mormon church, these things always sound to me like: "Hey, your rapist is throwing a frat party! Do you want to come?"

Besides, a chocolate party? What am I, ten?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2018 02:36PM by Makurosu.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 02:47PM

I'd bet real money it wasn't a "chocolate party" anyway.
That's just the lure to get sugar-loving mormons to show up.

Once you're there, you get hit with either:

-- a fantastic MLM-based investment opportunity that could make you rich!

-- a fantastic church-based opportunity that could get you to the CK!

Same BS either way.

Good call not going :)

Date: March 08, 2018 03:09PM

It didn't even occur to me that it might be an MLM party. I just assumed it was some sort of fake friendship overture to hook me back into Mormonism. Argh.

Date: March 08, 2018 05:57PM

The week after I got back from my mission, my old (now released and a SP) bishop called me. Said how glad he was I was home, and would I like to come over for dinner so we could catch up?

Sure, free food (and this was the bishop whose daughter I'd fooled around with before going!). So I went.

Dinner was, actually, "snacks." Short and not much. There was little to no "catching up." There WAS a massive pitch for me to become one of their underlings in Amway. Which, after almost two hours of the sales pitch, I weaseled out of and left.

I've seen it happen far too often :(

Posted by: A nonny nonny ( )
Date: March 10, 2018 01:19PM

Maybe it was a chocolate-based MLM, like when you get invited to a "candle party" for someone selling candles, "Jewelry party" for someone who is part of a jewelry MLM.

Posted by: pilgrim ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 02:48PM

I believe that chocolate hits the same parts of the brain that opiates and other illicit drugs hit....and is the Mormon equivalent of getting high. Just sayin'.

Posted by: Particles of Faith ( )
Date: March 10, 2018 12:56PM

There is something to this. There are actually a variety of potential compounds with psychoactive effects. Some of the compounds are in such low amounts there is a legitimate question as to whether their effects are important. Phenylethylamine is the basic building block model for amphetamines but there is question as to whether the bioavailability is sufficient for a direct effect but it does result in the release of endorphins (the body’s natural opioids) so there is probably an indirect effect. There is some evidence that chocolate contains anandamide (the body’s natural cannabinoid) but again is there enough. There is caffeine in chocolate but the methylxanthine that is much more prominent is theobromine. It has a similar but much less pronounced effect compared to caffeine. It is also especially toxic to dogs and cats because these animals metabolize the compound inefficiently allowing accumulation and toxicity.

There’s no denying the good feeling from chocolate.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 02:50PM

I think their plan was to get you all hopped up on chocolate until you're giddy as a school child, then pounce in that moment of weakness and inebriation and get you to recommit to the church.

Not unlike how the frat house "rapist" you mentioned would operate.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 02:58PM

Hilarious!

You can't make this stuff up!

I love your analogy: "Hey, your rapist is throwing a frat party! Do you want to come?"

Chocolate lures children, and we all know that those cult-members are after our children.

Yeah, what does being an attorney have to do with anything?

Date: March 08, 2018 03:06PM

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 03:10PM

Their childishness knows no bounds. They can't even be shamed by it. They flaunt their immaturity.

I'm only surprised that they didn't want you to come to the chocolate party dressed in pajamas.

Date: March 08, 2018 03:12PM

Maybe they'll have balloons! :D

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 03:15PM

BTW, good to see you here. Hope all is well with you and your (probably not so) little one.

Date: March 08, 2018 03:18PM

Things are going great. He's coming out to visit on Saturday. He'll be 15 next month, and we have lots of plans. Thanks for asking!

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 05:14PM

He is only going to be 7 next month!

Posted by: saucie (nli) ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 06:31PM

I can't believe he's that old now. Yikes.

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 06:29PM

Devoted Exmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Their childishness knows no bounds. They can't
> even be shamed by it. They flaunt their
> immaturity.
>
> I'm only surprised that they didn't want you to
> come to the chocolate party dressed in pajamas.

At one time I'd have thought it was childish too. Probably a defensive reaction from being treated like a child in TSCC for so long.

Now I do everything I can to act and feel like a child again. And I think it's a very adult thing to do. I'd definitely go to a chocolate party in my jammies as long as no mormons nor MLMs were involved. :-)

Posted by: Lilac ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 06:32PM

How much you want to bet if you did go, they'd take it as a show that you were interested in going back to church? Or they would all hound you to go back to church. Either way, or the MLM way, it doesn't sound like a fun time. Especially if it's a bunch of church people going to be there.

Fun adult parties are with adult beverages, adult topics of conversation, no uptight people, relaxation. Chocolate party sounds childish. I avoid Mormons at all costs.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 06:48PM

Or you could graciously accept their invitation and support them in their efforts to host a light-hearted neighbor get-together. Seriously, folks- not everything Mormons do is suspect.

Date: March 08, 2018 06:50PM

slskipper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seriously,
> folks- not everything Mormons do is suspect.

It is when they invite you to a "Chocolate Party!" :)

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 06:56PM

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 07:08PM

I'm not ashamed to admit that I really like dark chocolate but I know where to get some without attending a party "with some people from the church" .

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 07:16PM

Chocolate addict that I am Still would not go because being around a bunch of Mormons would ruin the whole thing. I am also addicted to staying away from Mormon bullshiite

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 11:47PM

"chocolate party" is code for women's sexy lingerie party.
You missed it.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 04:45AM

I went to a couple of chocolate tasting classes in SLC that were first rate. I was surprised to find out that an international award winning chocolate maker is in Orem, UT (Amani).

Boutique food stores (e.g. Liberty Fresh) carry the good stuff. Of the chains, Harmons also carries the good stuff. It is not in the candy aisle. It's probably over by the high end cheeses.

That said, I agree this chocolate party was most likely a sales pitch for an MLM. I consider Mormonism an MLM, BTW.

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 09:51AM

I like chocolate and I actually know where to buy some without having to socialize with Mormons.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 11:23AM

Hey buddy. Long time. Hope all is well. Deleted Facebook from my life. MIss your insightful posts and reading lists.

Warmest Wishes My brother!

HH =)

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 10, 2018 01:33PM

In Manhattan when attorneys advertise for chocolate parties they mean chocolate bunnies, and not the Easter kind. As in playboy bunnies. That's what they call beautiful black women to hang on their elbow: chocolate bunnies.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.