Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 08:50AM

No one is 100% straight: Study says sexuality is a 'spectrum' and all of us get aroused by men and women
Cornell researcher Ritch Savin-Williams says in his new book that more and more heterosexual men are better defined as 'mostly straight'
His hypothesis builds on his study showing men and women get aroused by both sexes
He found both groups' eyes dilated whether watching men or women, regardless of how they identified sexually

http://dailym.ai/2GpsfDc

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26501187

Abstract

Studies with volunteers in sexual arousal experiments suggest that women are, on average, physiologically sexually aroused to both male and female sexual stimuli. Lesbians are the exception because they tend to be more aroused to their preferred sex than the other sex, a pattern typically seen in men. A separate research line suggests that lesbians are, on average, more masculine than straight women in their nonsexual behaviors and characteristics. Hence, a common influence could affect the expression of male-typical sexual and nonsexual traits in some women. By integrating these research programs, we tested the hypothesis that male-typical sexual arousal of lesbians relates to their nonsexual masculinity. Moreover, the most masculine-behaving lesbians, in particular, could show the most male-typical sexual responses. Across combined data, Study 1 examined these patterns in women's genital arousal and self-reports of masculine and feminine behaviors. Study 2 examined these patterns with another measure of sexual arousal, pupil dilation to sexual stimuli, and with observer-rated masculinity-femininity in addition to self-reported masculinity-femininity. Although both studies confirmed that lesbians were more male-typical in their sexual arousal and nonsexual characteristics, on average, there were no indications that these 2 patterns were in any way connected. Thus, women's sexual responses and nonsexual traits might be masculinized by independent factors.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ProvoX ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 09:30AM

Guess the "researcher" is wrong because I'm 100% straight.

I don't mind that others are gay, though - less competition and more women for me!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 09:40AM

Not so sure about this one.

It's already well established that pupil dilation can signal sexual attraction...and it can also signal "shock." And brain damage, and drug use, and several other things.

I might also, as a heterosexual male, get a bit of "anticipation turn-on" if I see a naked man, thinking I might be about to see him with a naked woman.

I'll go read the paper, but this one might be a bit of a stretch. Still, it might help explain what happens in prisons sometimes, to "entirely heterosexual" males, who engage in homosexuality without batting an eye...

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 10:29AM

If someone can be fluid, why can't some others be solid, rigid?

Not buying this at all. I don't need no study to tell me what I am. 100% Gay--believe me. Thank goodness because that is probably what stopped me from marrying some poor Mormon girl and ruining her life had I been able to entertain the thought of even kissing one. This is just that Kinsey scale all over again. I am so over these studies. Everybody just figure out what you like, OK? If you need some study to justify how you feel you need to quit looking at studies and look inside.

Is sexual arousal the only thing that can make your eyes dilate?

I think people of the same sex can be stimulated non sexually but with signs that read the same from wanting to identify with someone attractive, who appears to be a winner. We are more complex than having all our attractions be sexual. There is emotional attraction. There is wanting to identify with a winner attraction. There is feeling someone completes you in a way attraction that is not sexual as well. Buddies. Trophy friends. Etc. Maybe they make your eyes dilate. Do your eyes dilate when you see your idol? My eyes would probably dilate for Jane Goodall.

That is my study. Non-scientific. Just my thoughts after all these years watching society grappling with sex. I just don't care anymore.

I like this fluidity thing whatever it may be because I think it will make it easier for everyone to accept and be more open about their own special combination of sexual feelings, even if they identify as 100% straight.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 12:22PM

I don't think the author is trying to support the "tiny glimmer of hope" scenario to force gay people to be straight.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 01:26PM

(shocker), he is 100% gay. DEFINITELY. And of anyone, I should know. He could go through the motions, but when it comes to the reality, he was just doing that, going through the motions. We still talk about things all the time, how this all came to be, etc. He just wanted a family as his family is a MESS. We are his family.

Anyway, when you take into consideration the whole relationship, it is more than obvious to me all the time that he is so completely attracted to men in terms of everything, not just sex. Emotionally, psychologically, mentally, sexually.

So no matter what that guy said, I can positively guarantee he was not turned on by seeing a naked woman, not in the least. We ex-wives call it the "ick face."

Oh and I have NO DOUBT that my boyfriend is 100% straight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2018 01:28PM by cl2.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 06:01AM

and when he is turned on . . . it's the "dick face"?

:)

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 04:38AM

I have seen this time and again,in my torties. On the rare occasions that we have to take "MY baby" (age nearly 14) to the vet (who is our next-door neighbor, and who Tiffy trusts), I see those pupils snap to full-shutter. All I can do is cuddle and soothe her, which usually does the job.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 05:59AM

But you do realize that a heterosexual male - for our purposes, let's use ificouldhietokolob - Hie could get an "anticipation boner" if he saw you naked. Now, I don't know how long that lasts while he's waiting to see if a woman shows up . . . and what he, hypothetically, would do when she did . . . .

So, I don't know if sexuality is fluid, but it makes for some interesting scenarios even between the "solid and rigid."

Posted by: Testiphony (can’t login) ( )
Date: March 16, 2018 02:28PM

I would find it much easier to agree with you if I hadn’t been walking around the planet for 30 years not realizing I also liked guys.

I recently saw a man who shared your view, that he is %100 gay without the slightest glimmer of female attraction. Again, I found it hard to agree that that orientation existed.

I haven’t really landed anywhere on that. If a man says he doesn’t like men or women, who am I to argue? However, I feel that everyone is bi-capable, not necessarily bi-eager.

If someone can be fluid, why can’t someone be rigid? Well, because very little in life is black and white, or rigid.

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 11:47AM

Oh how grateful we can be that the beloved middlemen over the Ward/Stake keep us so busy scrubbing chapel toilets and other responsibilities that there is no time to waste on sexuality, except to procreate. I guess it could be nice to have more time for sex as any couple having just 11 kids knows that they could do more to prepare tabernacles for Heavenly Father to send sweet spirits to so those spirits don't have to end up in lower quality households that don't have the glorious blessings of being able to produce BIC children like us good TBM's can.

Posted by: touchstone ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 01:04PM

This is one study. The study adds to the cumulative build-up of our understanding. It's the article *about* the study which used the eye-catching"No One is 100% straight" tagline to oversimplify what the study found, not the study itself (at least, not in its abstract). There are multiple competing theories and ideas about human sexuality; this study gives added weight to the 'spectrum' idea. Maybe some (few) folks are 100% this or that, but the buildup of evidence is that the "heterosexual" category could include folks merely, say, 90% in their reactions. There's a generational component here, as well. As homophobia has been decreasing, younger generations have been those more willing to admit to themselves and others perhaps being a bit bi-curious.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 01:26PM

Consider me in the camp of NSS. Sexuality has always been a myriad of things for almost everyone. As a heterosexual male I can tell you that I do not want to have sex with a man. Regardless of how handsome I consider him.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 02:18PM

Woman who married son arrested for marrying daughter. I ask: who are we to judge?

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/nation-world/national/article205088159.html

Times have changed
And we've often rewound the clock
Since the Puritans got a shock
When they landed on Plymouth Rock.
If today
Any shock they should try to stem
'Stead of landing on Plymouth Rock,
Plymouth Rock would land on them.

In olden days, a glimpse of stocking
Was looked on as something shocking.
But now, God knows,
Anything goes.
Good authors too who once knew better words
Now only use four-letter words
Writing prose.
Anything goes.
If driving fast cars you like,
If low bars you like,
If old hymns you like,
If bare limbs you like,
If Mae West you like,
Or me undressed you like,
Why, nobody will oppose.
When ev'ry night the set that's smart is in-
Truding in nudist parties in
Studios.
Anything goes.

Isn't it grand to know we are evolving so wonderfully?

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 03:32PM

Here’s the best video ever about Plymouth Rock. Does anyone remember it?

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 03:40PM

Baloney, 'expert' or not.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 04:27PM

Let me assure you I will always have zero attraction to men. Don't really understand why anyone would be attracted to us.

Posted by: BYUAlumnuts ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 04:36PM

Sorry, but if I'm not 100% then I'm in the very high 90's. I'm so heterosexual that if I come back as a woman in the next life I'll be a lesbian.

Posted by: animatheist ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 04:36PM

Yeah, be very wary about these sort of studies. If everyone truly is/was bisexual to some degree, there would be no such thing as a sham marriage.

Posted by: quidprostatusquo ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 05:56PM

If it's a spectrum, then by definition some people have to be 100% straight.

Posted by: Just the facts ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 06:11PM

ProvoX, if you've ever masturbated, I don't think you can count yourself 100% straight, after all, that is a sex act with a male by a male.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 07:07PM

Notice it said it was a "Theory".

I've got plenty of lesbian friends and gay friends.... I never h

heard any of them say "gee today I feel like I'm ten percent

straight". Not gonna happen. EVER. People are born sraight

and people are born gay.

Posted by: touchstone ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 07:30PM

As I understand it the "spectrum" theory (e.g. Kinsey Scale, zero to six) is not about the possibility of an individual's orientation sliding around, altering. Instead, I think it's an expansion on the idea that bisexual folks do indeed exist, or that folks leaning one way or the other in preference needn't be pummeled with the idea "There's no such thing as just a little gay." So long as this remains highly politicized and many are pressured to be in the closet, getting statistical data will have its challenges.

Posted by: invinoveritas ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 07:52PM

Human sexuality can be a complex thing. One study will not define it, and the simplistic “binary” view held by the present Mormon leadership is way off the mark. You, as an apostle of the "one and only TRUE Church in the entire world", do not get to tell someone else whom they are attracted too. Nature is what it is, whether it's in alignment with your provincial (see Fundamentalist Religious Dogma) reality of the world or not.

I’ve been married now to the same lady for 41 years, and I know for a fact that I was born a Lesbian trapped in a man’s body. It’s all about how your chromosomes and hormones and how they lined up when you became you. For me, that’s just how my recipe came out. For others, well, your results may vary.

However your chromosomes lined up is fine with me, because that's the real world, not something made up by a bunch of old guys in the Church Office Building in SLC, UT. (Who by the way are living at least 50 years behind the times).

So as long as everyone at the party is over 18 and consenting, it’s OK by me.

But No, you can’t have sex with a Snapping Turtle! Personally, that’s where I draw the line.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 08:08PM

I'm pretty sure you can have sex with a snapping turtle. Albeit only one time.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 11:12PM

I can't really say whether this study is accurate or not. However, if the results are accurate, it 'may' support multiple reincarnations where souls do assume male, female and in-between incarnations.

Souls take on the different sexes and in-between ----- just for the 'experience'. Hey we are 'eternal' so we have time and opportunity to 'experience' many things even crazy things. Notice what is going on here on planet earth?

How deep our past lives are in our subconscious and how much of an impact they can be in our current life is unknown. I have been able to call up some of mine through meditation. Hypnotists claim people that can be hypnotized will be able to remember past lives.

Some researchers (past life) suggest most souls eventually end up having a gender preference, but also enjoy living near nature or in cities, etc. based on their past lives. Therefore, when they chose a new life (there is some flexibility based on experiencing objectives) they show some preferences over time.

I just bring this up just in case there is some support for the idea 'no one is 100% straight'.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 07:49AM

I dispute the findings of the study that says that no one is 100% straight. In my 56 years of being alive, I have never had a sexual interest in another man, not even once. But I see new women almost every day that draw my attention out of sexual attraction, some so much that my whole body feels like a light bulb that suddenly lights up with pleasure in their presence, whether I choose to feel that way or not. It's always the inherant feminine traits, the ones that I lack in myself, that cause this to happen too. I couldn't change that if I wanted to and of course that's not something I would want to change. That has never happened even once in response to seeing or being around another male. So to say that no one is 100% straight doesn't make sense to me because a lifetime of my own experience says otherwise.

It kind of pisses me off when I see men that have taken female harmones to alter their bodies to appear at first, to look more feminine. Upon the second look I find myself thinking 'oh shit, that's one of the fraudulant ones', not real. Masculine women don't bother me. I am just not sexually interested in them.

I am always suspicious about studies like this that make conclusions about 'everyone' and that clearly do not apply to me. It looks like these studies come from a drive by someone who is gay or bisexual and who feels guilty about it, and who wants to validate that their own sexual preferences are acceptable because to some degree, everyone is this way. I think they need to find a different way to validate their own sexuality and to accept who they are because when the truth is told, this method is flawed and won't work. If we were to say that 'everyone' is straight and that gay people only think they are gay, that doesn't work either.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2018 08:07AM by azsteve.

Posted by: samwitch ( )
Date: March 16, 2018 11:53AM

The study fails to consider an obvious explanation: people are aroused by nudity and sexual situations -- or at least the autonomic nervous system is. That's not at all the same thing as attraction or desire, let alone a predictor of orientation.

Posted by: HWint ( )
Date: March 18, 2018 07:49AM

People are born gay ... but nobody is 100% straight?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.