Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 03:31PM

I live a mile or so from an airport. As he was in So. Ca. (and my area) for awhile, he took a large helicopter in which to leave, with another one by its side (staff? protection?). (They were flying low, for a more comfortable take off.)

As it happened, my grown son was in my driveway, and noticed it first (knowing that Trump was in the area).

Feel as you may about him, it was still a thrill to witness the event.

(So near, yet so far...)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 03:57PM

Whatever airplane the President is in is "Air Force One." We currently have two aircraft especially built for the Commander-in-Chief, whoever he may be. Any helicopter the President is in is "Marine One." I don't know how many such choppers are so built and equipped. Wherever he goes, two special limos and at least one special chopper are positioned ahead of his arrival, even if abroad.

Whatever one's feelings about any President, elaborate preparations and defenses are made for him, to protect the US government. An accompanying helicopter would probably be for protective purposes. Staff and press can make the trip earlier or later.

Two new 747s are being built for the US President, whoever he may be. They will be the ultimate in safety and communications.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-14/air-force-secretary-vouches-for-trump-s-aid-on-new-air-force-one

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 04:13PM

Yep, protection, probably fighter jets nearby too; they’d have to keep their distance more probably following a helicopter vs jet.
When we lived near DC, we saw Air Force One flying over, near the Pentagon. It had 2 F16s flying above it, kind of hidden in the clouds. I don’t know though if it was leaving , or arriving at Andrews AFB

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 05:43PM

Contrast in style and substance. Saw a news clip of Teresa May leaving downing street yesterday. Just her and a driver.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 05:57PM

Trump blocked my commute route yesterday...They closed Mulholland. Added 1/2 hr to my regular 1 1/2hr commute...

Pain in the ass...

Date: March 15, 2018 12:04AM

Famous quote attributed often to Bill Clinton. And yes, I do feel your pain. He came to Boston a lot for fundraisers during his presidency, and yes, they block off quite a few streets for him and his entourage.

So yeah, a presidential visit can be a pain in the butt.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 06:10PM

Yes, it is impressive. I've seen the Marine helicopters many times (Joe Biden heading home to Delaware, or Dick Cheney headed to the Eastern Shore.) I've also seen plenty of military jets out on maneuvers or patrol (I am within range of Pax River, Andrews Joint Base, etc.) I've also visited Andrews a number of times. But I'd love to see Air Force One!

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 06:25PM

We were living there during the Obama administration. He’d take Air Force One on trips that all of the other presidents used Marine One for. I guess he’s afraid if helicopters or just liked the luxury of Air Force One ,

Date: March 14, 2018 06:41PM

Air Force One has better communications ability. I remember President Obama calling world leaders while aboard Air Force One. It is better equipped and more comfortable. It can accommodate more people. It is IMO also a safer option.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 07:25PM

The cuckoo bird gets around.

This was his first trip to California since being president. What took him so long, I wonder? It isn't like he's a stranger to the entertainment industry.

He just took his reality show to DC instead of Hollywood.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2018 07:28PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 07:30PM

It's Dangerous Being in the Flight Path, Isn't It?

You could be hit by falling cabinet secretaries. . .

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 07:50PM

<snort>

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 11:16PM

lol

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 11:16PM

I would have stayed inside.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 11:14PM

Or any other employee of the White House. LMAO!!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 07:51PM

Well, having him fly over your house is better than having him come TO your house...:)

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 08:13PM

Personally I would rather be flown over by a pooping sea gull.We get enough of him flying here where his golf course is not far away.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 08:35PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 11:50PM

How much blue ice landed on you ?

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 07:20AM

Back in 2000 I was working part time doing ramp service (fueling, cleaning, servicing of aircraft) at the Manchester, NH airport. A few weeks prior to the 2000 election, Al Gore flew in aboard Air Force Two for a campaign event. Surprisingly, us regular rampies were cleared by the Secret Service to handle Air Force Two. I was assigned to drive the stair truck for his departure. I got briefed by the Secret Service and was given a special pin to wear on my clothes which indicated I had been briefed and cleared by the Secret Service. Part of my briefing was that after the door was closed, I was to drive the stairs over and park next to an ambulance. I was to leave the stair truck running until I got the all clear to shut it off. If I saw the aircraft returning, I had number one priority to the aircraft. I was specifically told that if anyone, or anything, impeded my path to the returning aircraft, I was to run them over. The agent conducting the briefing semi-joked that I had just been given a license to kill. When Gore arrived at the airport I was instructed to stand at attention at the base of the stairs next to some of the agents. When Gore arrived, he said hello to me before heading up the stairs. It was pretty cool. The departure of Air Force Two was uneventful.

Just two months later, about a week or two before the inauguration of GW Bush, Clinton stopped in Manchester for a quick visit. Air Force One had flown into Portsmouth, NH, to the former Pease AFB, which was now home to the NH Air National Guard. But he flew Marine One to the Manchester airport. It was a night and day difference in the security between the President and Vice President. For Clinton, only military personnel (in this case Marines) were allowed on the ramp to handle the aircraft. All rooms in our facility which faced the ramp were locked shut, with the exception of one in which we were allowed to watch his arrival, and all the blinds were closed. In order to be allowed into the one room that had a view of the ramp area, we had to go through a security screening, similar to airport screening, and then once through, we were not allowed to leave the room until after the President had left. The security and formality of the Presidential visit was far more than it was for the Vice President, even though Clinton was less than two weeks from leaving office.

Anyway, it was fun to watch it all.

Date: March 15, 2018 06:54PM

I'll bet.

For a number of years I did martial arts training with a Secret Service agent. He told me a (very!) little bit about what it was like to travel abroad in advance of a presidential visit. Every detail is very carefully planned. I have a lot of respect for the work that they do.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 09:42AM

In 1967 or early 1968, I met President Lyndon Johnson at Randolph Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas. He would take Air Force One--a Boeing 707 back then--into Randolph and transfer to a Lockheed Jetstar nicknamed "Air Force One-Half" to go up to the ranch, since the runway there was too short for the 707. Air Force One would remain parked in front of Base Ops, and that's how you knew he was in the area. This happened several times while I was stationed there.
On this occasion, Mr. Johnson had recently approved the sale of fighter jets to Israel. When he came through on his way back, there was a large crowd, which was allowed on the base and out on the tarmac, but kept about 100 meters from the airplanes. He decided to walk over and shake some hands, mine among them. Nowadays it's difficult to imagine such a thing, and I'm sure the Secret Service was worried even then. Anyway, that's my presidential encounter story. Clearly, things have changed a bit in 33 years.

FWIW, at about the same time I also met Raquel Welch while she was filming "Bandolero" at the Alamo Village movie set in Brackettville, Texas about 90 miles West of San Antonio. Security there was much less intense. It had just rained and Ms. Welch was wearing plastic booties over her cowboy boots.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: March 18, 2018 11:54AM

Backseater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In 1967 or early 1968, I met President Lyndon
> Johnson at Randolph Air Force Base in San Antonio,
> Texas. He would take Air Force One--a Boeing 707
> back then--into Randolph and transfer to a
> Lockheed Jetstar nicknamed "Air Force One-Half" to
> go up to the ranch, since the runway there was too
> short for the 707. Air Force One would remain
> parked in front of Base Ops, and that's how you
> knew he was in the area. This happened several
> times while I was stationed there.
> On this occasion, Mr. Johnson had recently
> approved the sale of fighter jets to Israel. When
> he came through on his way back, there was a large
> crowd, which was allowed on the base and out on
> the tarmac, but kept about 100 meters from the
> airplanes. He decided to walk over and shake some
> hands, mine among them. Nowadays it's difficult to
> imagine such a thing, and I'm sure the Secret
> Service was worried even then. Anyway, that's my
> presidential encounter story. Clearly, things have
> changed a bit in 33 years.
>
> FWIW, at about the same time I also met Raquel
> Welch while she was filming "Bandolero" at the
> Alamo Village movie set in Brackettville, Texas
> about 90 miles West of San Antonio. Security there
> was much less intense. It had just rained and Ms.
> Welch was wearing plastic booties over her cowboy
> boots.

They allowed Clinton to stop and get out of his Suburban (not the limo) to shake hands with crowd that had gathered outside the Utah ANG base at SLC Airport. This was when he was returning to Washington after his Park City vacation in March 1998. My son and I got to shake his hand that day (and I have pictures to prove it!).

Posted by: lindy ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 09:35AM

I live in Perth, Australia. A couple of years ago when Kevin Rudd was Prime Minister he was sitting in an outdoor cafe with our state premier on a regular sidewalk. There were probably secret service people around but you couldn't spot them.

The other customers of the cafe basically ignored them and just carried on drinking coffee eating pastries, whatever. No fanfare, no obvious security, no checking out of people around them.

Date: March 15, 2018 07:01PM

Hopefully, he'll stop spouting off about American politics and concentrate on Australian.

Posted by: lindy ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 11:14PM

Well according to Snopes Matt Damon has no intention of moving to Australia, sadly.

By the way, Indonesia has just made it illegal to criticise the government. I've always believed any citizen of a country has a perfect right to 'spout off" about their countries politics.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 16, 2018 10:16AM

Being close to the precedent even if he isn't close to you? Fly over his house and see if he notices (and feels good about it). It would be a lot cheaper - if you lived to tell about it. Equality isn't necessarily quality.

BTW, a decoy is used to thwart stuff, and adds to the cost. Sometimes 2-3+ vehicles are used (to carry men, machines, vehicles, animals, weapons, tools, devices, green, etc.).

Helicopters flying over doesn't necessarily mean he was on one. Or that he thinks about the people below. Thrill though.

At least he didn't drop water balloons. I may have.

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.