Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 05:26PM

I don't get the principle of how my donation goes to helping the poor before it gets to the rich CEOs of not-for-profit organizations.

One time I gave to the International Association of Christians and Jews to help the poor and needy Jews in Israel. That was before I learned that the chief rabbi who heads that organization earns between $400,000-$800,000 a year for his services as the PR guy.

His daughter is set to take over his position when he steps down. He founded it, and it's become his personal goose that lays the golden egg, time and again.

Once I learned how much money they're raking in, I figured why on earth did I want to support their lifestyle when I make a fraction of what they're earning in the name of charity funding?

To really help the poor and needy there are better organizations to give to. I just don't know how to differentiate between them because they all put on such a good spiel.

Some causes are nearer and dearer to my heart, like children's hospitals. St Judes and Shriners are two I don't have a problem giving to. It's still a study in due diligence doing that - to give where you know your dollar will get to the actual cause and not to line the fundraisers pockets.

Church used to take 10% of my income with no questions asked by me. That was blind faith and trust in an authority that literally robbed us blind because we allowed it to.

I just don't see the good these guys do in the name of charity when they're the ones raking it in to live lavish lifestyles. That to me defeats the purpose of the fundraiser for the poor they claim to be serving. If they were really so altruistic, why would they usurp the donations to build wealth into the millions for themselves?

From what I can see it's just another racket.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 05:36PM

It's called "trickle down."

The rich say it works every time :)

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 06:01PM

Agree its bad optics to have a very highly compensated CEO, but what is more important is their total admin and advertising costs. Sites like Charity Navigator screen charities for you to avoid the clunkers. The worst are not transparent (LDS Church) or have yuge fund-raising expenses such as boiler rooms of paid cold callers.

Classic example are the charities run by Mormon fundraiser James T. Reynolds, Sr. - including Cancer Centers of America.
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/20/business/4-cancer-charities-accused-in-ftc-fraud-case.html

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 06:08PM

Do you know anything about the Jewish National Fund ? I’ve been supporting them for a while. I don’t mind them taking some money for themselves, but NOT at the caliber that you described.
They have a lot of neat certificates and shiva candles. I even have some stones from Israel,to put o graves and such
Isn’t the Chief Rabbi an Ultra Orthodox?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 06:20PM

I hadn't heard of it before, but here's what I found per 'Charity Navigator.' What's deducted for fundraising is reasonable IMO, not extortion.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3948

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 14, 2018 06:20PM

I agree with numbersRus that checking Charity Navigator is a good idea.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/

Reputable charities will publish their financials. Then you can make an informed decision.

I do know that when you are contacted by phone to support your local police or firefighters, it is normally a hired organization that is making the calls. Very little of your donated funds will go to the first responders and their families -- as little as just a few percent. If you want to support first responders, donate to their allied organizations directly.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.