Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 06:41PM

Well, 2 religious NCAA BB teams just advanced. Gonzaga had a hard time, but beat NC Greensboro by a bit. And 11th seed Chicago Loyola beat #6 Miami on a last second 3 pointer, as time ran out. Looks like God's favoring the Catholics.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 06:55PM

Michael Francis is pretty awesome.

Posted by: Anon 3 ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 07:03PM

Because its...Gonzaga

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 08:04PM

Loyola even has Sister Jean. She led a prayer for them. Maybe she can lead them to the title

Date: March 15, 2018 08:40PM

Yep. She sends coach Moser scouting reports and post game breakdowns (no shit). The lady knows her basketball.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/14/sports/ncaabasketball/loyola-ncaa-tournament-nun.html

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 09:06PM

ghawd's very own school made it into the NIT and lost last night, to Stanford.

...it's a test...

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 11:13PM

You forgot St. Bonaventure,but Florida is leading in the first quarter.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 16, 2018 12:02AM

This means roman catholicism is true despite what you've heard.

Posted by: stillAnon ( )
Date: March 16, 2018 08:33AM

Must be true. Gonzaga beat BYU 3 times this year.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: March 16, 2018 04:39PM

Universities run by the Jesuit Priests have traditionally been very strong in basketball (Georgetown, Marquette, Loyola of Chicago, Xavier, Gonzaga, etc). Former Utah basketball coach started at Marquette and ended his career at St. Louis University.

I think, in part, its because they are mainly in urban settings and the Jesuit's penchant for social justice made them early adopters of recruiting black athletes.

Date: March 16, 2018 05:09PM

"Former Utah basketball coach started at Marquette and ended his career at St. Louis University."

Good observation. Porter Moser, the head coach of Loyola, was Rick Majerus' assistant at St. Louis U. They don't have the most physically dominating athletes, but they are extremely disciplined (and ,no, not nuns smacking their knuckles).

Your remarks on race are spot on as well. Most don't remember the "Game of Change" but here's an interesting read. Different times.
Back then, some churches worked towards unity vs. some that spent their efforts fighting against equality.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8741183/game-change-mississippi-state-loyola-cannot-forgotten-college-basketball

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 08:24AM

My brother played basketball for a Jesuit high school.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 16, 2018 04:58PM

I think "god" favors universities that spend a lot of money on recruiting and coaching/training, have a wide pool of candidates to recruit from, and who (usually) have profitable tv/media deals to fund their programs well.

:)

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 11:22AM

That is true. These small schools are able to advance a few rounds. But the champion is always a power conference team. I wish someday a team like Loyola-Chicago or UMBC could win the whole tournament. Loyla-Chicago did win in the 1963 but that was a different time for college sports.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2018 11:32AM by Drew90.

Date: March 17, 2018 12:29PM

Yep. You a Chi-Loyola fan?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 05:46PM

I got my Master's from UMBC, and their success has been a source of pride to Marylanders. The school has come a long way since my time there. At the time (early 90s) it was an up-and-coming school. Now it is well respected. The UMBC men's basketball coach is very well thought-of.

I'm wearing my Retriever t-shirt right now. Could there be a more friendly school mascot? :) You see paw prints painted on to the sidewalk all over campus.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2018 05:47PM by summer.

Date: March 17, 2018 09:31PM

Yeah, can't get much cuter than Retrievers. Unless you name your team Baby Pandas. I hope they keep it going. But if they make it to the Elite 8, I hope Loyola wins.

Date: March 17, 2018 09:02PM

Loyola just beat Tennessee to go to the Sweet 16. Sister Jean is the most famous nun since Mother Teresa.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.