Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: March 15, 2018 10:34PM

What does this mean, I attempted to look it up on google and the slang dictionary but I could not find anything, so Here I am relying on RFM, thanks in advance

<s> intellectual superiority = proven <s>

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 16, 2018 12:54AM

Looks like it is the last statement in a proof, though I should probably say "proof", since proving intellectual superiority is pretty ambiguous, not to mention smug.

The bracket <s> is likely a delimiter indicating the beginning and end of a logic statement. People who have been exposed to too much Unix have a tendency to use angle brackets just because.

Read the "=" as "is"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2018 12:56AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 16, 2018 09:35AM

As an old Unix guy...maybe :)

Or the bracket <s> surround could be for "sarcasm here."

As in, everything between the brackets is sarcasm...

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: March 16, 2018 08:16PM

As Hie points out, I think it's probably going for open and close code tag for sarcasm, but would be clearer if written

<s> intellectual superiority = proven </s>

which I would read as perhaps pointing out an appeal to authority fallacy.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 16, 2018 08:19PM

Yep, that would be the HTML way :)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 16, 2018 11:07PM

It would help to have several preceding lines in whatever post this came from, to provide context. It might well be a sarcasm flag. It certainly sounds sarcastic, but that's kind of a leap, based on three words and a symbol.

Glad to know there are some people here who speak fluent Regular Expression (endemic to Unix and its descendants). I will sleep better at night. :)
https://xkcd.com/208/

Date: March 19, 2018 09:50PM

thanks to all for all the input !!!!!

from what has been said, it appears to be an attempt to mock me by my one brother. just as I had suspected. but I wanted to avoid jumping to conclusions on my own, as I was uncertain, so the research ended up here.

Thanks again!

here is the back ground. I have 5 brothers, all TBM, all younger. 3 are fairly decent, 2 are just like their MORmON enforcement agent male parent -real MORmON style @$$ holes ! Since I have quit MORmONISM, the two @$$ hole brothers have decided that it is their sacred MORmON duty to punish me, mock me, trivialize me, discount me, and vilify me for (the unforgivable sin of) leaving (the mighty cult of) MORmONISM.

One brother posted a picture of my (non member) paternal grandfather on his face book page. Then there was a lot of discussion among them about the location where the photograph had been taken, because they did not know, but wanted to know. I knew but was not saying anything because the two @$$ hole brothers had already previously been pretty snarky and rude to me on other matters, as part of their duty to punish me for not being faithFOOL to THE (MORmON) church. As their discussion on the matter of the photograph evolved, they finally made a plea to me to see IF I had any idea on the matter.

I replied by saying, Paraphrasing -that there was little need for my input on the matter because after I am so inferior intellectually (that I ended up abandoning the only true church). that made one brother upset, then another plea was made to me on the matter, because it appeared that I might know the answer to their question.

since there were NON (MORmON) member family members that were also interested in the matter, I finally disclosed the location where the photo graph had been taken. My non MORmON family members graciously thanked me for my input.

The "thanks" for my input from My High and Mighty (@$$ hole) MORmON brother was the comment / inquiry that this post was based on. After all, he is in his MORmON ward's BishoPrick, apparently faithFOOLY and steadfastly working on becoming a BishoPrick in his own MORmON right, which entitles him to be so nasty and vitriolic on such matters.

I know/ realize that it is a rather trivial comment on its own, but just as well I also know that it is a component and symptom and manifestation of a much larger ingrained problem and set pattern of punitive MORmON disapproval and nastiness. the bottom line is that these POS are just like their MORmON Male parent - NOT worth having as associates in any way or (let alone) as family members.

Posted by: ex-fake-friend not logged in ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 10:45PM

You were correct in assuming this remark was sarcastic and derrogatory.

It's just sad.

"...not worth having as associates in any way or (let alone) as family members."

Sad, and I do believe it is mostly out or our hands. We can either accept abuse or limit contact. I see no other way. There's no reasoning with Mormons who choose to be fanatical, judgmental, closed-minded, and vindictive.

Almost every encounter with these people damages me. It takes away whatever self-esteem I've managed to build. It triggers my PTSD. I am so very happy moving forward with my post-Mormon life, that it is almost unbearable to go backwards.

I feel I need to leave most of my old TBM "so-called friends" behind, in order for me and my children to keep our new-found happiness. I already have separated from my abusive older brother, which did make me sad, because he is family, after all....

At some point, the abuse has to stop, am I right?

Date: March 20, 2018 05:17PM

ex-fake-friend not logged in Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> At some point, the abuse has to stop, am I right?

It should! Hopefully because a person gets to the point where they realize that they do not have any real obligation to put up with it.

I Finally cut off all contact with my very abusive MORmON male parent -the resident MORmON enforcement agent, and the rest of my family because that is what it took to maintain effective separation from the abuser. He started in on one of his speeches about how I better get it together in regards to THE
(MORmON) Church. I said something to effect that "has not your religion already done enough damage in my life. His very MORmON response was that he wished he could kill me. I believe him, too. It was not the first time, but it would be the last because I was not going to allow it any more.

SO, I was very genuine with him by telling him that his MORmON religion was a sick joke. He was a convert. I pointed out how LDS inc would not allow his non member mother in their temple who we both knew was a good and honorable woman, but they would readily allow this other person who we both knew as real creep to go into their temple AND they had made that creepy person into one of their bishops as well. Those were my last words to him. he was super angry. He left. I never spoke to him again. He died 3 years and 3 months later. It was the nicest thing he ever did for me.

My mother who was there at the time, insists that he did not mean what he said. I tell her, that I think he did mean it. this is the same woman, to her credit, that would NOT let her children say "I want to kill you" to each other as kids as an expression when we were mad at each other, because it is not right and it is not a good thing to do, and a person needs to say what they mean and mean what they say.

I point out to her that even IF she is correct that is the big difference between me and my nasty foul MORmON male parent, since I definitely did mean every word that I had said about THE filthy foul disgusting (MORmON) church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.