Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon on Earth ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 06:29PM

So I was once married to a TBM. When I quite being mormon, we parted ways. That was quite a few years ago. While my life has had ups and downs, I never felt that the hand of god was at all involved in pushing the chess pieces, and certainly the gospel plan, where bad people fail and perish, while and the goodly proper, because: god, was not in evidence. I have prospered in the two ways that really, really matter: love and health. And we're not too shabby on the money part.

I'm a very happy individual, involved in an excellent relationship, and if I wanted to credit god with how good things are now, many a properity gospel adherent would chime in with a hallelujah or two. Not bad for a atheist!

Now here's the weirdness: my TBM ex-wife, faithful servant for lo these many years, has announced she is terminating her life. Per one of our children, she went to her branch president and got the okay to stop dialysis and to stop taking her assorted medications. (I wonder if he gave her a blessing, that "go ahead and die" blessing?)

She is expecting to die within 12 to 15 days. Mention was made that the pain pills she has been taking were not very effective, and she is hoping that they give her some strong stuff, PRN.

God tested her like you wouldn't believe, but for whatever reason, I got all the rain I needed. And I can't help but wonder what all the people in her family who don't like me think about it? Why did she have a relatively poopy life while I, a rascal and a bounder, with hardly a saving grace, am happy, healthy and kicking up my heels?

There was some talk of me attending the funeral, in support of our kids, but while I was ready to go (and not happy about it!) saner heads prevailed. All of the kids are married and have houses and their mother has lived with each of them, and each of them couldn't wait to get rid of her. About two years ago they all chipped in to make up the difference between what her SS paid and the cost of a decent old folks' warehouse. (Ghastly places!) When the TBMest of them all had her mother-in-law die and a son go a mission, thus losing an excuse and creating lots of room, she didn't say a word about having her mother move back in! (My mother, senile and decrepit, died in my home; ...just saying.)

According to one of my sons-in-law, the whole thing is a ploy, a shot at getting more attention, because although she lives close to some of the kids, none of them visit her. Sort of like Grandpa Abe, on the Simpsons. But she's missed on dialysis apppointment, so...

The basic point I wanted to make is that it sure looks like god does not keep his word, and if there's some mysterious reason that explains this, why bother to have written rules and promised pay offs? If there are unwritten rules that cancel out the written ones, what the hell!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 06:51PM

It's pathetic and tragic rolled into one.

I feel bad for her that she's dying and her children don't really care. If that's living their religion, who needs it?

Sad, really sad. She'd be better off in hospice care.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2018 06:54PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 06:57PM

"... it sure looks like god does not keep his word, and if there's some mysterious reason that explains this, why bother to have written rules and promised pay offs?"

"Prophet" motive?

Perhaps this god to which is referred is simply a slick insurance sales rep. Never was an actual payout. Still isn't. But they collected the premiums.

But then again -- who knows, perhaps there will be 72 doe-eyed virgins awaiting.

Choices have consequences. There is a reason why the LDS must have the maxim: "Endure to The End."

Life is to be lived. Not endured.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2018 07:01PM by zenjamin.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 07:26AM

zenjamin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Life is to be lived. Not endured.

Short sighted observations, Zenjamin

Most of human history, and even in many parts of the world today, "life is to be lived" isn't as easy as many westerns think it is.

For most of humanity, now and historically, life is endured. Life is full of suffering that is not an individual fault.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 08:02PM

Lower Head Lord MORmON Jesus has NEVER paid off on any of His promises and /or obligations to anyone unless it was by taking something from some one (stealing) that was then used to make a pay off to another some one.

My faithFOOL super TBM MIL was a nice /decent person. She had cancer in the form of a brain tumor. She far outlived her terminal prognosis but eventually her life was claimed. Toward the end of her life her thinking was not so good. Some Good member plumber ripped her BIG TIME for installing a new kitchen sink. Unfortunately, I was not able to pre empt that swindle. For what ever reason, My MIL became convinced that she needed a new kitchen sink with a divider in it, instead of just one big basin. The new sink was the same over all size, but had the divider in it. She was charged 3000 $ for that......which I think was way the Hell too much. I am sure that I could have purchased a new sink with a divider and installed it myself for a lot less than that.

I could not help but wonder IF that good member plumber got up in his F and T meeting and told how Lower Head Lord had blessed him to make things come together in the previously month so he could meet his financial obligations.

LD$ Inc's money grubbing modes has a way of turning its members into completely predatory Jackals just like their church, and those members do not even see how vile that they really are.

Like wise, At the time Glenn Beck was telling how (Lower Head Lord MORmON) Jesus had revived and blessed up Glenn's dead radio broadcasting career since /because Glenn had saw fit to embrace the MORmON religion. What a sweet deal for my MIL. She had been faithFOOL to MORmONISM her entire life but MORmON Jesus let her die with terminal Brain Cancer. Thank you (MORmON) Jesus !!!!!!

Then there is Larry Very Dead Miller. MORmON Jesus (Inc) saw fit to richly bless Larry Miller financially, obviously because MORmON Jesus (Inc) had a special preference for Larry when it came to money. But when it came to health issues, MORmON Jesus just let the financially elect Larry Miller die like some kind of common cur.

......IF you are asking me, that bastard Lower Head Lord MORmON Jesus is some one who can not be trusted.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 08:09PM

Are you thinking of sending a card?

Date: March 19, 2018 08:13PM

(You are funny !!!) That was a good one !

Date: March 19, 2018 08:12PM

Weirdness almost got you back into a MORmON meeting? that is kind of strange because MORmONS are not weird .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xphnhNopWUo

MORmON meetings can be awesome, just like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AVj0lSQ_Yg

Posted by: paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 08:32PM

terminating one's life. The verb or phrase "chosen to termninate her life" implies or directly connotes an action, (such as requiring medical intervention regarding suicidal ideation.) And that's not the case here.

Some gender bias may implicate either males or females as being either active or passive. And the language may be sometimes reflect as much.

However the verb used in the infinitive phrase : chose (yes she did make a conscious cognitive act) to terminate (this a questionable phrase since she is making not active action utilizing any form of a tool or weapon directly to do any such action to her form. She is simply giving a directive to staff and others that she is refusing further treatment.)

Apparently its needed once you aren't in your own residence, or were transported to a hospital, that this was a choice.

A hospital employee told me, that as far as refusing to allow old people to refuse treatment even in extreme failing terminal conditions with no positive outcome or healing possible (where all medical RX had been tried and failed, and the condition would be progressive and was terminal) = that the patient may choose to elect no further medical treatment however the hospital employee said "families are the worst and hospital are afraid of them (legally) so sadly the patients decision is often ignored. " So if one adult child were to be directive even a cousin, to be argumentative combative at the hospital with staff demanding treatment- they would possibly cause the hospital staff to do treatment against the patients stated will. That's very sad- the most frightened family member, regardless of their willingness or desire to partipate in daily life or financial implications of treatment- can none the less coerce or intimidate medical organizations to proceed with medical procedures unwanted by the client.

That's a senior horror story waiting to be written. But its been lived.

I am sorry that its perplexing and unfair so uncomfortable in places with unresolved issues which no one could handle or resolve- chronic illness terminal conditions intensify emotional pressures in even adult family systems with unresolved and unhealable generational issues. So many choose to distance in discomfort. Not everyone is close.

Do you think that having a religion or a favorite food means they've hit the genetic lottery? and would surpass or surpress every gene expression in their genome for life from birth to procreating to raising working nurturing then dying? its a process. I don't think that religious folk in any group think they're exempt from that. And its sad, and bad, that in the end the body does end its roll through life on the earth plane, but, its, expected. Religion doesn't change ones genes if ones genes or physical inheritance is more challenging then one may cling to some thought forms or rituals because heck you're dyin. I don't think the religious think they're exempt they just have rituals to get through it. You only skip the rituals when you become an atheist unless you make up your own. You are are still mortal too. And so are the others. And the ambiguity, the unfairs and the fairs of whose strong who lasts long who hurts who doesn't when and how is like a big knot of string untying because in the end, we're all dying. No one hits or misses it just happens.

and maybe you last longer with different genes, or hormones, or physical inheritance, or experience without needing medical procedures, or being vulnerable. Maybe you have different hormones or a different enzyme uptake system in your pancrease genetically, maybe you have a different set of enzymes in your lungs changing your life long oxygen supply impacting muscles all over your body as well as organs internally. We are different. you are different. Vive la difference

no religious bliss or antheist can yet change this sometimes we love a fling a deep thing its like a river with a canoe flowing past the current it goes to fast

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 03:45AM

May I ask how old is your ex-wife?

This is a very sad story, Anon on Earth.

Posted by: Anon on Earth ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 04:52AM

She was born in August of 1946. I'm older.

EOD, I still have some time. Hopefully Hallmark has something tasteful, but with some gentle humor.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 05:43AM

I understand about medical care getting exhausting for the elderly. My mom was facing a very major surgery and just couldn't do it (the surgery may or may not have solved the problem.) She elected to live out her life peacefully at home instead.

I would think dialysis would be a particularly long, hard road. I know that an artificial kidney that can be implanted is in development, but it is at least a couple of years off.

I'm sorry that your ex and your family are facing this situation.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: March 20, 2018 07:20AM

Anon on Earth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> God tested her like you wouldn't believe, but for
> whatever reason, I got all the rain I needed. And
> I can't help but wonder what all the people in her
> family who don't like me think about it? Why did
> she have a relatively poopy life while I, a rascal
> and a bounder, with hardly a saving grace, am
> happy, healthy and kicking up my heels?
>

What do they think? That is easy if one knows Mormon theology. Life is a test to them, whether or not one will be faithful in times of trials and tribulations

Google Mormon trials tribulations and you will see a host of articles, conference talks, etc. on the very topic.

They will see your ex as having lived a faithful TBM life in the face of adversity and that she will be blessed for it in the next life. Easy peasy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.