Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 21, 2018 03:50PM

I am a great believer in marrying whomsoever you want to.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 21, 2018 03:55PM

Tie this into that other thread about "moral high ground," and whether or not "society" is a good source of morals...

I never, even as a TBM, bought the society or mormon idea of interracial marriage as "morally wrong." I'm glad society is changing, but it's taking a long time...

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 21, 2018 11:27PM

Yes and yes.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 21, 2018 03:55PM

It will never be zero but it shoudn't be too far from that.

Posted by: scmdnotloggedin ( )
Date: March 22, 2018 03:04AM

anybody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It will never be zero but it shoudn't be too far
> from that.

I agree, and no one should feel entitled to force their own prejudices onto others.

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: March 21, 2018 04:14PM

Maybe the 20% is the people over 70 or 80 who aren't as tolerant of the younger generations doing things differently. Did they break it down by age or just politics?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 21, 2018 04:29PM

But Joseph decreed we needed to take multiple Lamanite brides to whiten the race. Brigham agreed. That's why I have hundreds of Lamanite cousins.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: March 21, 2018 08:24PM

American Indians get shades lighter just by being in the Placement Program . Just ask SWK or read one of his GC talks. Probably more Delightsome too.BTW does this program still exist?

Posted by: Curelom Joe ( )
Date: March 21, 2018 06:36PM

That's a much, much lower percentage than when I was growing up! This is real progress!

I remember the first time I ever saw a living, breathing, interracial couple, in a big city. I was 17. I remember like it happened last week. She was young (no doubt no more than 5-10 years older than me) and blonde, and he was tall and dressed in what struck me as a "flashy" way. The only thing I could think at the moment was: "A pimp and a prostitute!" Later I went to college and saw another such couple: I remember the sight as well.

To my Gen Z children, however, it's just not even an issue, and I don't believe it is with any of their friends, either.

Progress happens but slowly.

Posted by: richardthebad (not logged in) ( )
Date: March 21, 2018 08:35PM

So, at least 20% of Americans are total racist morons. I'm surprised the number isn't higher.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: March 21, 2018 10:37PM

So what exactly is interracial marriage? If an asian person and a white person get married is that an interracial marriage? What if a hispanic person and a white or negro person get married? Is either of those an interracial marriage? Or is interracial marriage limited to only a black person and a white person getting married?

A person should be able to merry a person of any race as long as the other person is human. There are no morals involved in merrying someone of another race. As a practical matter, it can be easier to merry within your own race or even the same country of origin. My sweetheart and I are both mostly scandinavian. Long before we met eachother, we were each raised with many common cultural background similarities. That can help. But any couple who loves eachother can be happy together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2018 10:38PM by azsteve.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: March 21, 2018 11:04PM

I would not go as far as to say interracial marriages are "wrong," and I certainly do not believe I have the right to comment on, or critisize, somebody else's decision concerning who they choose to marry. If somebody wants to marry a person of another racial group, that is their decision. Not mine.

Having said that, there is no way that I would date -- least more marry -- a person of another racial group.

The reason for this is that there are huge cultural differences between most racial groups. Marriage is hard enough when two people come out of the same racial, ethnic and religious background.

When people from two different racial groups marry, marriage becomes all the more difficult. Both internally (between the two individuals) and also externally (the way others will make it difficult - especially for the children that come out of the union.)

You might see things different, and you have that right. I don't expect everybody here to agree with me.

But that is MY opinion on the issue, FWIW...

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 22, 2018 05:48AM

It's a cultural difference, not a question of races. Do you really think that the difference between a white US male and a black US woman is greater than the difference between me (UK Brit) and my French partner?

What makes it SEEM greater in the US is the prejudice.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: March 22, 2018 02:10AM

Not sure why these findings are so different from those found with Pew, but it may have something to do with Newsweek becoming little more than clickbait as it struggles to survive. Here’s Pew from 5\15\2017:

Percent who would oppose a close relative marrying someone who is of a race or ethnicity other than their own:

Blacks: 14%
Asians: 9%
Hispanics: 9%
Whites: 4%

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2017/05/18/2-public-views-on-intermarriage/pst_2017-05-15-intermarriage-02-02/

Maybe has something to do with the wording?

Some of the data is similar. More Republicans than Democrats view it as a bad thing, and older people are far more likely to find it a bad thing than younger.

One thing is clear is that it does seem to be improving continually. Acceptance of interracial marriage in the 1950’s hovered near 4%.

Date: March 22, 2018 02:54AM

The source underlying the Newsweek article is an extensive project by The Economist, so the quality should be good.

I can see two reasons for the divergence between the polls. First, The Economist poll is of 1,500 US adults, which is a pretty small sample. Hie can tell us if that is sufficient to produce reliable results.

Second, the questions are indeed framed differently. The Economist (p. 92), cited in the OP, asks if interracial marriage is "morally acceptable" or "morally wrong." So apparently a binary choice.

The Pew poll (page four in your citation) has three choices: "good," "bad," and "doesn't make much difference." My guess is that if offered three choices, those surveyed by The Economist would have reported feelings closer to the Pew pattern. In short, most people don't really care and only assume a polar position if forced to answer a binary question.

I would add that from my perspective "doesn't really matter" is a good outcome. One could do worse than describing racial equality as the state of society in which people don't care who marries whom. In short, when race is no longer an "issue."

Date: March 22, 2018 03:06AM

Good points all.

And I agree about the “doesn’t really matter” replies. That is the essence of MLK’s dream. When asked about these sorts of racial issues, the most encouraging answer of all (IMHO) is, “who cares?”

Date: March 22, 2018 03:19AM

Indeed.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 22, 2018 02:16AM

I thinking marrrying someone of another race—ANY other race—is a lot smarter than Mormons marrying a dead person.

Date: March 22, 2018 02:25AM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 22, 2018 10:40AM

There are races ?

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 22, 2018 10:47AM

Posted by: TheHumanLeague ( )
Date: March 22, 2018 10:54AM

"Im thinking marrrying someone of another race—ANY other race—is a lot smarter than Mormons marrying a dead person."

Can you imagine: In Kolob or wherever? Someday, some guys
walks up to you and says "Hey baby your my wife"?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.