Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: March 22, 2018 04:42AM

That is pretty much where I am now. I fake it for a few hours on Sunday. No tithing, no home teaching, garments all in the trash or being used as rags, openly drink coffee in the house in front of the kids, etc. My wife no longer really believes it either, but she is holding on a bit more tightly than I am. But overall we are quite supporting of each other.

Anyone else living similarly, just playing Mormon for a few hours on Sunday? How is it working out for you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: March 22, 2018 04:49AM

Ummm, that is pretty much what being a MORmON is .... I mean the faking it, in one way or another, part

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: March 22, 2018 10:46AM

I wouldn't be able to fake it and give up a large portion of my weekend, dressed up in Sunday best, to sing songs of praise about a horny charlatan.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2018 10:50AM by rubi123.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 22, 2018 11:03AM

No faking it for me.

I wanted to live authentically for both myself and for my children.

How can I teach them about honesty if I live a lie knowingly?

It was impossible to live my life in limbo like that. The church was what had to go from our lives. My children came to learn the truth along with me during their formative years. We left Mormonism together.

Posted by: CheapGrace ( )
Date: March 22, 2018 11:14AM

We left our congregation after discovering a few of their actual histories.

Church history is merely the magnet that attracts other bad actors. Had Joseph Smith been a moral, intelligent and compassionate young man, his family plot would have provided delicious crops, I'm sure.

https://crime-insider.checkpeople.com/v4?aid=34&sid=MSN%20US%20(MSN%20US)&tid=1

FYI: There were two active predators in the flock we fled. Both were later arrested, one is still incarcerated.

Posted by: readwrite-LO ( )
Date: March 22, 2018 11:28AM

They have enough actors!

And NO audience.

It's not just sundays, though that's the day that costs you most.

Try directing?
Anything more exciting?
Something more fulfilling?

You could WRITE yourself (and family?) RIGHT out of that position, that (pay-to-bot) dead end job.

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: March 22, 2018 12:00PM

I could never. Luckily I married a nevermo, so I’ve never had to pretend as an adult. If your spouse doesn’t believe anymore either, why torture yourselves???

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: March 22, 2018 12:19PM

Tried that for a short while during the transition out. Life is much better and more authentic since leaving that nonsense behind.

Posted by: jackman ( )
Date: March 22, 2018 01:57PM

That was my original intent a couple years back. But being intellectually honest with myself was a more powerful force and I quickly came clean.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: March 22, 2018 07:50PM

Have you tried other churches since you seem to want to spend your time Sunday morning in a church but don't seem to believe the Mormon tripe? The church of Big Cottonwood Canyon (i.e. Solitude) could also be a possibility? Or are you making your appearances for other family or career purposes?

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 22, 2018 09:13PM

Best wishes to you. There is no single way to leave Mormonism. I hope that you and your spouse will exit well together. The Boner.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: March 23, 2018 02:22AM

I faked it for a long while but i couldn't do it anymore. I really thought god was going to help me if i went to church. I was very naive to say the least.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 23, 2018 03:17AM

I hated every hour of it as a boy. There were always creeks that needed exploring. At age six, I began skipping meetings to walk a nearby creek and play in a park right across the street from the church. I would watch the church building as I played, and when I saw a crowd coming out of the church, I would run back and join it. This went on for some time until my mother received a notice from the primary president, who was also my Cub Scout den mother. She held two callings while my mother refused any. I wonder if it gave her some pleasure to tell the lazy mother her son was lost. That's what it said on the notice. Your son is lost.

Posted by: Vahn421 ( )
Date: March 23, 2018 04:02AM

Being a pretender in Mormonism is *never* worth the price you will pay for it long-term. Ever.

Posted by: Moe Howard ( )
Date: March 23, 2018 07:39AM

Why are you "faking it" in front of your kids?

Posted by: mightybuffalo ( )
Date: March 23, 2018 12:43PM

Definitely not working out well....

I am a clerk. Unfortunately that means I have meetings to take notes in. Fortunately that means I don't have to attend priesthood and sunday school. I only do it because my TBM wife and Bishop thought it would be good for me and I was too scared to turn it down for fear of losing my ecclesiastical endorsement at BYU.

However, like you I don't wear garments and enjoy my coffee. I also stopped paying tithing.

Apart from the calling, I don't fake anything to my wife or family and never have to lie about being mormon to anyone else because no one really asks.

Not going to lie-- if I were in your shoes, I would exchange my sunday hours at church for sunday hours skiing the slopes ASAP.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.