Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: canuck guy ( )
Date: March 26, 2018 08:25PM

I just noticed a new article posted on the Salt Lake Tribune website saying that the LDS Church's leaders have made revisions to the interview policy allowing for a second adult to be present in the room:

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2018/03/26/mormon-leaders-update-rules-to-allow-adults-in-the-room-for-interviews-with-children-women/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: March 26, 2018 08:30PM

Even before the march and donated sandwiches Dehlin gushed over!

The child is still in a cult. And will be shamed for sexuality.

The ridiculous interview should be a clue to parents to NOT neglect their child and hand them over to a cult.

But no, parents just want Interview Lite and it is all better.

Why people demand MORE from the same institution that wrecked their lives, I will never understand.

'Church, you ruined my psyche and life! Will you please change to what I would like you to be?'

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: March 26, 2018 08:35PM

Yeah, like i'd want my Dad present while being interrogated regarding whether or not I touch myself inappropriately!

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: March 26, 2018 08:40PM

I think the point is to stop having them asking those inappropriate questions.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 26, 2018 10:32PM

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: March 26, 2018 08:44PM

And you can only bring one (1) 'witness'. Kids shouldn't bring parent (who got them into the cult in the first place), but maybe a social worker? Therapist?

Def not an attorney as there isn't anything going on that could be a legal matter, given that the parents push the kids and surrender control to the religious authorities.

Or, it could be like a rite of passage! 'Who are you inviting to your first interview??' kids excitedly ask each other. Oh, I'm bringing my granny, she has always wanted to be at a Bishop interview! 'I'm bringing my favorite piano teacher! We are going out to lunch afterward and getting an ice cream!'

Hallmark could have a new card series: 'You are special! Congratulations on finishing your first Bishop interview!'

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 26, 2018 08:48PM

the earth moved.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 26, 2018 08:49PM

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: March 26, 2018 08:56PM

It's only an option. How will the child know it is if not told. The Morg won't shout it from the rooftops, and hopes it won't be utilized much. Some parents won't opt to be present.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 26, 2018 09:13PM

in the room when they are discussing if he touched himself.

For extreme TBM parents, this will be a double whammy for the kids. I think if my dad were in the room and they asked me if I masturbated, he might pick up the bishop and throw him through the wall. I would bet my dad had no clue they asked his daughters that.

The interviews just need to end. They budged. That's it. What will come now? They'll somehow fuck things up and come out with some new policy like the children of gays policy.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 26, 2018 10:54PM

The kids need to interview the sour pusses, the 'leaders', the wrinkly rocks.

M@t

Posted by: anon4this ( )
Date: March 26, 2018 11:09PM

abuse by priesthood when will it end?

so lds bring 2 adult male priesthood holders to sit across from one tiny minor and inquire about the minor's private body parts?

lds bring 2 adult male priesthood holders to sit across form one tiny minor and direct minor to sequencially or descriptively speak about masturbation, petting, heavy petting, oral sex, anal sex? not just drinking coffee or attending meeting

This is scandalous only an idiot would be unable to see how damaging this stupid l d s priesthood proposal just explores and expands how to further hurt minors with shocking priesthood interviews.

A chiropractor bishop kept calling me in as a merrie miss and beehive from primary and young womens to individual interviews asking private excessive questions despite the answers. My counselor sees it as grooming for abuse. My counselor said seeing someone direct you to sit force you to leave events on command direct you to talk about anything they command direct you to answer any question they choose is a form of abuse the bishop hurt me with. Particularly for a merrie miss or beehive with a non member father and inactive mother this is invasive the child is alone in the building with no protective adult making them safe from this sick grooming.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 27, 2018 03:01PM

Always remember: Dave Bednar believes fathers should be the first to know if their children masturbate.

Posted by: Brainfrees ( )
Date: March 27, 2018 04:47PM

I don’t think most of the commenters (at least to the DN news report of the change) have read the stories relating to the march. I feel like none of them have daughters (at least). If they still back TSCC after having read the stories and/or having a young daughter, they are no better than Lot (who “supposedly” offered his virgin daughters to be raped by the rapey crowd outside of his house -to protect the heavenly messengers in his house). Sick, sick, sick.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 28, 2018 11:44AM

In my parents minds their kids are jewels in their Celestial crowns. My brother and I have "fallen away" so we are merely lost jewels. They have 8 more jewels to keep their crowns sparkling.

And as for being interviewed. When I was 15 my brother confused to the bishop that he masturbated and came home after his interview and told my parents. They rounded up us boys (puberty aged) and asked us if we masturbated. I lied. My mother then told me that if I was masturbating to just lie to the bishop. She was mortified that the bishop knew one of her sons did.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: March 29, 2018 10:47AM

My guess is that Sam Young will get excommunicated after the march. He brought awareness to the subject.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 29, 2018 04:07PM

Aside from the obvious law of chastity questions, I would think that some parents would be embarrassed knowing that many kids have yet to master the art of Mormon fudge.

Imagine Timmy who just turned 9 and is being interviewed with Mom.

Bishop: Do you always pray morning and night?

Timmy: Sometimes. We pray at the table before eating.

Mom: (embarrassed and caught off guard) Timmy! Don't lie to the bishop! You always pray!

Timmy: What about the other night when you screamed at us to leave you alone and slammed your bedroom door shut? We never say family prayers.

Bishop: Ok, let's move on to harmony in the home. Do you feel loved in your family?

My point is that these interviews might be even more unbearable with a parent sitting next to the child. I know that my "truthful" answers about reading the scriptures, family home evening, prayers and total family disharmony would have been affected by my TBM mom sitting next to me.

I think a lot of us would prefer the interviews to end.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2018 04:08PM by messygoop.

Posted by: NevermoinIdaho ( )
Date: March 30, 2018 08:09AM

I told an equally nevermo coworker who grew up where there were next to no Mormons and knows nothing about them a little about the interviews. She was absolutely horrified by the idea of a man asking a child such questions. And she said her response to being asked herself "Do you masturbate?" would be "Well, do you?" She's got a lovely snarky attitude.

My response to such a question from the priest at my church would be to leave and immediately call his superiors and the police - the second probably immediately after talking to said superiors, on their advice! And definitely if they didn't advise me to do so!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 30, 2018 08:41AM

"...allowing for a second adult to be present in the room:"

Allowing but nor requiring. And it doesn't have to be a parent. And it doesn't put a stop to inappropriate sexual questions.

Consider this: The church requires two people to be present when money is being counted.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 30, 2018 11:04AM

Looking back, I’d say my dad had some anger issues, but had someone asked me those questions, he’d have blacked their eye.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: March 31, 2018 07:06AM

A very simple and workable solution is every Mormon parent telling tscc to back the hell off and take back their rights as parents...but then tscc has always been simple but never workable...your honor I withdraw my remark...clearly there are no parents in the church...David A Bedbug

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: March 31, 2018 07:21AM

If they cannot slutshame you, how can they control you?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.