Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JessupNorth93 ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 04:29PM

Watching conference - no more visiting/home teaching. What in the world......will wonders ever cease?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Finance Clerk ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 04:31PM

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 04:32PM

Hooray! Maybe my TBM dad will spend more time with his family at home! My sister, my BIL, my 7 month old nephew, 2 year old nice and me!! And our furbaby POncho as well!!

When he went Hometeaching he'd be gone for hours on Sunday...

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 06:24PM

Anonymous 2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hooray! Maybe my TBM dad will spend more time with
> his family at home!

No, the church will create some other time suck. That has always happened whenever they disbanded a program and claimed it would allow for more family time.

Posted by: diangelo ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 04:33PM

nice

edit: but none of the GAs are mentioning what this does to old Halestorm Studios movies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2018 04:36PM by diangelo.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 04:34PM

As shucks, now all my ward friends who love me so deeply won’t come by at 8:00 pm on the last Sunday of the month.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: April 02, 2018 01:37AM

EXACTLY!

Posted by: MeM ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 04:47PM

I guess that means that when I drive past the house of the person that was assigned to be my friend and they wave at me, they won't need to run in the house and check my name off their list.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 04:58PM

My experience when active was the men rarely did home teaching. I've had VT's more on than off where I currently live despite the no religious soliciting sign. They found a way around it, they mail me stuff and leave treats at my door.

I don't like the idea of this ministering program. In the past, I was the problem of four people. I hope to hell it isn't a lot of ward members pouncing on the inactives.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 05:01PM

This has GOT to be an April Fool's joke!

How else can the Morg spy on its members?

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 05:05PM

If it's a joke then nobody is laughing!!

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 05:04PM

It's only fair that if they target us for "ministering" that we should be able to target them for " lessons in the real history of the church ".

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 05:07PM

Standby!!!

Rest assured that another annoying program is awaiting it’s debut. They won’t let an oppurtunity to bug you go away.

Posted by: Particles of Faith ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 05:28PM

It’s called “ministering.” That’s just adorable.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 05:30PM

Will there be women ministering in the ministering ministry?

Date: April 01, 2018 05:45PM

It’s actually an inspired idea. Reports knocked down to four times a year, no recited message from the Ensign, no required number of visits per quarter, and best yet...no requirement as to how contact is made. Some quick phone calls are going to result in some great percentages.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 06:51PM

VT without reading the message from the ensign? We/they need to be told what to talk about. The monthly snooping must go on.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 05:52PM

"Ministering via email blasts."

Date: April 01, 2018 11:23PM

We’ll call it TT—Text teaching

Posted by: mankosuki ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 05:57PM

If reports are required 4 times a year, it seems the same as "home teaching" just relabeled. Who are they reporting on? They have to be assigned someone or something to report on. Just who are they supposed to be ministering to?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 08:05PM

I'm thinking that they will send the missionaries to visit the members. First, it will give them something to do rather than popping wheelies all day. Second, it will push members to push religion onto their non members' friends.

Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 08:09PM

Oh boy! Now I get to be ministered to on Facebook! Yippee!!!

Posted by: Paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 08:35PM

Designated member contact sisters or families check out “ministering” sounds like focused lesson with variety of statistical contact check offs

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 10:42PM

I'm way ahead of that revelation, I quit years ago.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 11:11PM

If it looks like the LDS church is cutting back on spying, don't forget their database on members. They can track every purchase and everything said on social media.

I think they have a serious labor and burnout problem with members. Easing up on forced socializing might be helpful for retaining introverted members--which the church has really screwed up in the past.

Use of the word ministering suggests an attempt at mainstreaming. Make no mistake, they are on their heels.

Posted by: primarypianist ( )
Date: April 02, 2018 10:44AM

As an introvert, visiting teaching was so painful for me that I only went about five times in the 12+ years I was in Relief Society. And that's only cause my companion forced me to.
I always thought that visiting teaching was extremely phony and I even told a member of the Relief Society presidency that. I told them that they require women to come visit me, who would've otherwise shown no interest in me before, and then stop acknowledging me as soon as they move on to their new group of sisters. Oh and they usually showed up on the last day of the month, just so they can check that box.
In fact, after several years of them trying to get me to go, I flat out told them to take me off the list, and they amazingly obeyed. They never assigned me a companion or sisters to visit. Although, I reluctantly let them still visit me, even after I left the church.

Posted by: jabes ( )
Date: April 02, 2018 12:15PM

I don't think they're cutting back on spying at all. The article I read implied that there would be discussions about who needed to be visited and what was going on in their lives. Seems to be a ramping up of the Ward Council gossip sessions, so even more private business will be paraded in front of people with no training and no discretion.

Posted by: Rubico ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 11:28PM

They are just scraping stuff that never worked anyways. I think this is a test run to see in simplifying the church will make it more desirable for people. They are trying to figure out why they aren't growing.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 11:42PM

April 1st joke

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 11:46PM

Ban the OP, at least until next April 1st...

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: April 02, 2018 12:39AM

He has been DH's assigned HT just about forever, and since he is a prolific reader and we have similar taste in authors, he usually stops by with a book or two for me.

He is a very nice old guy (older than I am, so I can say that) and I always enjoy his visits, even though I haven't had anything to do with the church for more than a decade.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: April 02, 2018 12:46AM

I thought it was just replaced by "ministering" where you do basically the same thing, except with your spouse.

Posted by: perdition ( )
Date: April 02, 2018 05:06AM

It's a cosmetic move motivated by a need to ensure both surveillance of the LDS Corp flock and manage falling membership.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2018 07:15AM by perdition.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: April 02, 2018 10:43AM

There was no enthusiasm left for HT/VT, everyone hated it and few people had time for it.

The new "ministering" is a watered down version which will fade out.

Members who are "ministered" to will quickly realize that they are the designated ward project and resent it.
Similar to when stake leaders would show up before conference to visit the slacker families.

Posted by: readwrite-LO ( )
Date: April 02, 2018 11:18AM

No More Ministering - Mister Mystery Monkeying around. Lay off Ladies. This (doing nothing) is serious. Name Changing isn't Game Changing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.