Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 09:25PM

I didn't watch a lot, but I did see the home teaching announcement. My take is that members will no longer be required to let the home teachers into their homes. That's good. Also, there will probably be fewer home teachers, or those who minister. That will relieve the labor shortage somewhat.

Also we have the combined priesthood group, which will more resemble relief society. Two non Swede/Dane leaders were chosen. The MTC scandal was simply not mentioned.

The two messages I'm getting are church shrinkage, and a further desire to mainstream. The ship is listing, and members are being told to make some changes to right the boat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 09:37PM

I must have missed it - what was the MTC scandal?

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 10:02PM

Mish has accused him of attempted rape in a basement room of Provo MTC. His family, and the church are in major damage control - blame the victim mode. Here is what I think is the latest story on it.

http://kutv.com/news/local/exclusive-documents-reveal-how-the-lds-church-responded-to-mtc-sex-scandal

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 03, 2018 10:47AM

Bishop was president of the MTC when I was there. Who knows how many other sister's he abused. So much for discernment of the church leadership. If they really had the priesthood powers they claim they would have known this guy was a disturbed perv. Just another sad example that the church is a bunch of flim flam.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 03, 2018 11:20AM

Yet strangely Joseph Smith gets a free pass.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 09:37PM

Good summary. Was there an explanation of this "ministering"? It seemed quite vague. It reminds me of when they lowered the mission age. A TBM family member told me all excited and my first question was why? What was their explanation? They had no answer.

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 10:11PM

"As members minister, they determine through communication and inspiration the frequency and type of contact they have with those to whom they give care. They counsel with and render an account to their leaders at least once a quarter regarding their service and the needs and strengths of those for whom they have been invited to care. Leaders report these ministering interviews each quarter; they no longer report the number of visits or contacts made to individuals and families. In addition, through a priesthood link to each member, ministering brothers and sisters form a communication network leaders may use in a time of danger or emergency."

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 10:13PM

Regarding the Youths:

"Leaders may choose to assign Laurels and Mia Maids as companions to Relief Society sisters, as priests and teachers are now assigned as companions to Melchizedek Priesthood holders. Youth share their unique gifts and grow spiritually as they serve alongside adults in the work of salvation and as they counsel about that service in ministering interviews. In addition, involving youth in ministering assignments increases the reach of caring for others by increasing the number of members who participate. It may also simplify and strengthen these efforts within families as mothers and daughters—and fathers and sons—serve together."

Note: '...by increasing the number of members who participate.'

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: April 03, 2018 02:16AM

Wouldn't it be lovely for a mother and daughter to "minister" to a woman having marital problems, or who is a victim of spousal abuse.

The youth could grow spiritually and share their unique gifts and grow spiritually alongside adults in the work of salvation of someone who is suicidal or mentally ill.

So speshul. So unqualified!

The youth can also be threatened and manipulated into doing temple baptisms for the dead, which means the youth will put the screws onto their parents to pay tithing to go to the temple, and force the parents to go on interesting "ministering interviews" with addicts and unwed mothers--whatever the heck those are going to be.

Younger missionaries of both sexes will force parents to go through the temple with them (pay tithing) and to pay money for their missions.

All the cult is doing is opening up more opportunities to get money out of members of ALL ages. I guess those local USA teen student jobs, after-school jobs, weekend jobs, and summer jobs pay an acceptable amount of tithing, collectively--more than third world members can pay.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: April 03, 2018 01:44AM

oh creepy weepy.. this gives me the heebie geebies..

"They counsel with and render an account to their leaders at least once a quarter regarding their service and the needs and strengths of those for whom they have been invited to care. "

Meaning: they spy on other members, and then tattle to the bishop about it.. (needs and strenghts.. brrrr).. who then tattles to HIS leaders higher up the ladder..

Insane..

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 09:47PM

They are probably trying to do a type of fellowshipping that many Protestants do. Mormon leaders are showing every sign of trying to became a Protestant sect without saying the dirty word "Protestant".

Posted by: namarod ( )
Date: April 03, 2018 09:02AM

The morg is copying what most Protestant Churches do. Members of the congregation, males and females, have the calling of Deacon. Deacons are in charge of ministering to the spiritual and temporal needs of the congregation. For two years I attended a Presbyterian Church. The Deacons did a great job in helping those members in need and would ask the congregation to bring food, provide rides, help watch children, and other forms of help for members in need of help.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: April 01, 2018 09:51PM

Wow! Totally watered-down home teaching! I'm sure this is a relief to the TBM's but don't they also see this as a sign that the church is shrinking? There are not enough devoted sheep to do all of the work so now the home teaching program is gone.

Just meeting your assignments in church counts as a visit! The bar is low and getting lower to keep people in.

I suppose this is the sort of diluting that happens to all cults.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: April 03, 2018 02:20AM

No, more like beefed-up home-teaching. It will be more invasive than ever! Mormon (uninvited, unannounced) visitors won't be given a script to read and teach from, anymore. Instead, it will turn into an interrogation, an investigation, and a judgment of what problems can be perceived--or imagined--from which the unsuspecting people can be "saved."

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 03, 2018 02:29AM

I think it will be less invasive. I think the LDS orgbots have heard a few things. Also, they can follow you online.
One thing's for sure, they'll screw it up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2018 03:02AM by donbagley.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 03, 2018 10:24AM

exminion Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No, more like beefed-up home-teaching. It will be
> more invasive than ever! Mormon (uninvited,
> unannounced) visitors won't be given a script to
> read and teach from, anymore. Instead, it will
> turn into an interrogation, an investigation, and
> a judgment of what problems can be perceived--or
> imagined--from which the unsuspecting people can
> be "saved."

I think this is spot on. I also believe that these quarterly interviews will be very invasive and probing. It won't be "How are assigned families coming?"

No, It will be "Tell me in detail about the struggles of the Jones. Has Brother Jones found a job yet? Are their signs of outward temporal concerns that we should know about? "

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: April 03, 2018 11:26AM

This kind of interviewing was my experience when I was in the church 25 years ago. I don't know how much more intense or personal it can get.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: April 02, 2018 12:32AM

Thanks for the report. It is fun being able to talk to my lds family about GC without having to watch it.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 03, 2018 12:10AM

Yeah totally. I made a comment on a group text yesterday (about knowing about this ministering subject, initially learning here last week, before they learned Sunday, thinking it was a joke) saying "me too", where they thought I was saying "me too" on someone's comment that Holland's talk made them cry.

I didn't watch any of it and got 'you're watching conference? Thats wonderful...'.

I wouldn't watch a moment of that crap. I have plenty of ways to cry.

M@t

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 03, 2018 02:51AM

Yes, conference can be 'taken-far-away' and not many at all would miss it EXCEPT for those doofuses who get their egos stroked and fly first class.

Wouldn't it be terrific if next October Conference no one showed up but those sitting on the stand and in the choir seats? hee hee

Hell, another road that could be taken is for Conference-Reruns to be shown on their side screens and then everyone could leave and go and do what they are day-dreaming about during mind-numbing conference. And, $$$ saved could be donated (to me, hee hee hee) to charities.

C O N F E R E N C E = a huge "con" "fer" "Eve, Nate, Callie, and Everysinglemormon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2018 02:54AM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 03, 2018 03:15AM

For soooooo long, LDS, Inc. was used to getting their own way about most everything they touched, sorta like our non-President (who's now invited his boss to dinner).

Whereas LDS is somewhat obligated to explain-justify its revisions, DT doesn't carry that burden.

I'm hoping the individuals these "leaders" purport to serve will(eventually) prevail...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2018 03:17AM by GNPE.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: April 03, 2018 09:27AM

The more I read about HT being phased out, the more I'm convinced it's an attempt to stop the bleeding. It's better to do away with the program entirely than expose the TBM faithful to apostate views when they try to reach out to inactives and ex-Mos who want nothing to do with them. The "ministering" nonsense is just a smoke screen to make the membership feel like they are still doing something.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 03, 2018 10:53AM

I can remember all the lectures from the stake presidency on how important home teaching was. As Elder's quorum president I was supposed to motivate my quorum into getting 100%. We never came close. Home teaching really was a joke. If someone needed help in the ward they would just contact a real friend. Nobody contacted their home teacher unless they were a friend.

The bottom line is retaining the membership and getting tithing. They will play with the church any way they can to reach those two objectives.

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: April 04, 2018 02:31AM

+100
The state of the TSCC can be measured by how much the leadership gives or takes time from the membership. It looks like they are pretty happy with the current numbers for tithing and membership.

I felt bad for my neices and nefews at my family's Easter Sunday meal... brainwashed into becoming future tithing payers. No salvation, no reward in heaven... Just a church that tailors it's message to keep the revenue stream. I have not said anything like this to my teenage son, but he totally gets it. He has a best friend at school who is from a religious family, and he is trying to help him see that it is ok to not believe what your parents believe. I had some friends like this when I was younger. These are real friends.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.