Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: April 02, 2018 02:16AM

Just read that Logan, UT has had a 38 percent increase in violent crime in just the last five years? Is Utah State admitting too many undesirables? Or are the members there going apostate and destroying the society? Any guesses?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tropicana ( )
Date: April 02, 2018 05:28AM

http://www.loganutah.org/government/departments/police/investigations/gangs.php

Hispanic gang activity has increased in Logan over the years.

Posted by: DavidR. ( )
Date: April 02, 2018 07:52AM

Hispanic gang activity is up in Cache Co. I think the Trece Latino gang has come up this way now. They were in Ogden but look to be spread out. That's just one of the hispanic gangs. Crime is up in Logan, and all over Utah. On campus, there is an increase in drugs and rapes, too. I can remember when Logan was one of the safest places you'd ever want to live. It is still a safe community but things have changed some.

Posted by: readwrite-LO ( )
Date: April 02, 2018 11:06AM

Pooped Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is Utah State admitting too many undesirables/ [Mormons]? Or are the remembers there going apeshit and destroying the [fragile facade of a goofy] society? Any guesses? >

No guessing needed.

It's the Mormons/ LDS dogma culture

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2018/03/31/i-couldnt-touch-the-piano-for-years-piano-students-at-utah-state-university-describe-a-culture-of-sexism-discrimination-and-favoritism/

‘I couldn’t touch the piano for years’: Piano students at Utah State University describe a culture of sexism, discrimination and favoritism

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 02, 2018 11:45AM

Nice dog whistle. Too many undesirables, clarified as Hispanic rapists and drug dealers.

Reality check. Lead story in today's SLTrib was about domestic violence, and how one in five Utah women are affected. A couple months ago it was reported that in Utah 44% of violent crimes were domestic violence.

This is astonishing, because a fair percentage of violent crime (shootings, in particular) are drug/gang related. People engaged in illegal trade, like drugs, don't have the luxury of settling disputes by hiring lawyers and going to court. They settle business disputes with intimidation, and if that does not work, with guns. You work with the tools available to you.

So, if you take gang-related violent crime out of the violent crime statistic, it is virtually certain that over half the violent crimes reported in Utah are domestic violence.

Think of the high profile murders in Utah in the last several years. A woman and her child gunned down in Sandy by a dumped boyfriend. A doctor in Utah County convicted of killing his wife. A psychologist (?) in Sugar House convicted of drowning his wife. A couple of teens from Tooele found last week in a mine shaft, killed by an apparently jealous boyfriend in extreme western Utah County, a teenage girl in Logan beaten (shot?) and left for dead by an irrigation canal by two teenage boys who knew the victim. A few years earlier, the Powell murders (wife and two young children, with father committing suicide when he burned down the house with the children in it)

Not a Mexican rapist or drug dealer in the lot of those murders, and that is not an exhaustive list. Yeah, drugs are a problem. Rape reports are no doubt up, but I'd be willing to bet most of those rapists are not Mexicans skulking in back alleys.

Domestic violence by home-grown white and delightsome Utah men is a much bigger problem.

The USU music department story in last Saturday's Trib (jaw-dropingly long story, BTW. They put a lot of work into that one) is another facet of the same problem. White and delightsome college professors guilty of blatant sex discrimination and sexual harassment.

That's what's happening in Logan. And the rest of Utah. And I didn't even touch on the abuses within polygamous families.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 02, 2018 01:07PM

So it's not the Latinos.

It must be the Syrians. Did you consider that?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 02, 2018 02:21PM

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: April 02, 2018 12:39PM

I spend a good part of the year in Cache Valley. What I have noticed is there is a lot of tweaker culture going on from local down and outers. I think drug addiction is driving most of the petty crime in Cache Valley. It's local strung out youth that broke into my tool shed. Watched a tweaker try to steal a bike in the pet store parking lot. Hiking up in Logan Canyon in February I encountered a 30 something white couple passed out in their car at a pull off; the snow plow had partially burried their car. I asked if they needed help and they could hardly respond. A car driving by saw me trying to decide what to do and they called the highway patrol.

I meet lots of Mexicans and Hispanics in rural cache valley, most seem to be hardworking and trying to stay clear of the law. I have not seen any instance of what would be gang activity.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 02, 2018 12:56PM

They should have a check-off box on the USU admission application form:

Are You 1. Desireable or 2. Undesirable

that would solve the problem!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2018 12:56PM by GNPE.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 02, 2018 01:49PM

I don't take the newspaper. I have noticed that Cache County ends up on the SLC news more often now and even Box Elder County.

Even little Hyrum had the Trisha Autry murder some years ago. She was my daughter's age.

I watch too much of the murder TV shows like Dateline. It doesn't matter where you live, you can run into horrible crime anywhere.

Cache County has always had its share of bad crime. We had a father kill his baby as a sacrifice when I was still at Thiokol, meaning over 30 years ago. We had a gay man horribly beaten several years after I got married. There has always been crime up at USU. I went there in 1976 and I certainly would not have walked anywhere alone after dark.

My daughter always thought I was nuts when I insisted on following her home from work when she worked after midnight, back when we couldn't afford cell phones. THEN one night somebody followed her home and it became a completely different attitude. She started begging me to follow her home and she actually locks her car doors now.

Anyway, I only hear what shows up on the SLC news unless my boyfriend hears about it at work.

Posted by: cakeordeath ( )
Date: April 02, 2018 08:05PM

In Logan, my neighbor recently got arrested and charged with 9 felony counts for theft and burglary. He's middle-class white male, not hispanic. I work retail and a lot of my customers have DV charges against them. Ninety percent of them are working class white folks. The ones with MIP, open container, DUI, Public intox, and assaults come from the same group. Thirty years ago in Logan, you still had the same problems then but just not the same numbers.

That said, Logan is still 100 times safer than my hometown on the east coast. It's all in the perspective.

Cake

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: April 03, 2018 04:50PM

I don't have any scientific statistical studies but one thing I have noticed is most of the Cache Valley young people I have encountered who have done some really stupid sh!t come from very large families and a lot of them are home schooled. My wife claims the problem is in-breeding. She's a fourth generation Cache Valley native.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 02, 2018 11:02PM

Maybe Logan is like a microcosm of what's wrong with the world, in general. Crime is more magnified than it used to be, because?

The world is in chaos and crisis mode.

That Logan used to be a safer haven than it is now. Where is safe?

Utah has extremes in behavior of over conformity v. under conformity. It's a polarization that having Mormon Central there has on the region (cause and effect.)

Posted by: VindicatedSLC ( )
Date: April 03, 2018 05:50PM

Black crime is skyrocketing, unfortunately. A good 90% of the black gangs come in here from California and bring their problems.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.