Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rolled tacos on a sunday ( )
Date: April 07, 2018 11:28PM

I`m thinking of going to england/germany end of October, sadly i`ll miss the oktoberfest in germany,i`ll only have about 3 days in germany so i was looking for suggestions on the best area I should hit up, I`m wanting to see the usual tourist things like the castles and mountains etc. any suggestions "ministering" would be appreciated thanks all

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 08, 2018 10:05AM

Black Forest to visit where the cuckoo clocks are made. Berlin to see where the wall once stood, and where Kennedy gave his famous speech, "Ich bin ein Berliner."

Frankfurt am Main on the western side of Germany. So many quaint towns and castles to choose from, you'll find lots wherever you roam.

You should find some beer gardens there, even if Ocktoberfest is over when you arrive. "It is not just for Oktoberfest that locals and tourists gather around long picnic tables to drink endless liters of beer. Biergartens (or simply "beer gardens" in English) open as soon as the chill is gone and continue until the last German gives in to fall. Biergarten season is a beautiful season in Germany."

https://www.tripsavvy.com/what-to-expect-at-german-biergarten-1519627

Munich is where they originated. Now they're common elsewhere as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2018 10:19AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: cftexan ( )
Date: April 08, 2018 12:05PM

I'm going to Frankfurt in a few weeks. Where are you going?

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: April 08, 2018 12:34PM

I live in Germany. There's a lot to see here. There are lots of castles in southern Germany... in fact most towns have one. If you want mountains, I'd recommend Munich or maybe Garmisch-Partenkirchen. There are lots of castles in that area. Garmisch isn't far from the famed Neuschwanstein, which is probably the most famous castle. Linderhof, which was also built by King Ludwig, is also in that area.

When most people think of Germany, they think of Bavaria. ;-)

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: May 08, 2018 06:07PM

I'm a history buff, and enjoyed the museums and historical sites in Berlin, many of them are depressing as hell. If you want castles, scenery, gemutlichkeit or however you spell it, take the advice above and skip Berlin and the big cities, Frankfurt, Hamburg etc.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 08, 2018 06:13PM

Much of Frankfort was destroyed in WWII, therefore it's a pretty modern city. It could almost be anywhere. If you are looking for Old World Charm, you won't really find it in Frankfort.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: April 08, 2018 12:34PM

For a first time to Germany, for three days, for vacation.

Munich hands down. Bavaria is literally a place of dreams or at least that is what I think.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 08, 2018 12:48PM

My late wife and I wanted to go back to Germany....more castles to see, more beer and wine to enjoy and more autobahn time.

Posted by: Tyrrhenia ( )
Date: April 08, 2018 02:59PM

Hamburg, Lübeck, Berlin.

Or Hamburg, Lübeck, Bremen.(I think I am partial to cities of the old Hanseatic League.)

Cologne, Trier and Strasbourg (in France, but just on the other side of the border) could be another beautiful itinerary.

There is just so much to see, because Germany is NOT all like Bavaria.

While I love Frankfurt, because I lived there for two decades, it is not a must see if you have only three days in Germany.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: April 08, 2018 03:04PM

Right... but Bavaria is where the most impressive castles and mountains are, which is why I suggested it. Personally, I really enjoyed Hamburg, Cologne, Trier, and, to a lesser extent, Berlin. But I probably wouldn’t choose any of them if I only had three days and wanted to see castles and mountains.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2018 03:07PM by knotheadusc.

Date: April 08, 2018 03:07PM

If I ever make it over to Germany, I will need to visit BOTH Frankfurts. Frankfurt am Main, and Frankfurt der Oder. Both on opposite sides of the country.

My book printing and publishing forefathers of the Talmud and Hebrew/German prayer books reigned from Frankfurt der Oder. Many of them are buried in the Jewish cemetery there across the bridge in Poland.

One of their sons moved his printing business to Frankfurt am Main, and made his home there along with his Dutch wife. A street plaza is named after him to this day (he lived 200 years ago.) When I travel now since becoming interested in family history, I plan my visits to places to correlate with that as much as the places themselves. :-)

Looking for a Black Forest cuckoo clock would be on my bucket list while there also. But there are so many to choose from! ;-)

Posted by: Gertrude ( )
Date: April 09, 2018 02:58PM

Amyjo, since you've never been to Germany, why are you commenting? Maybe you should travel there first and then offer an opinion.

Date: May 08, 2018 05:07PM

It's a small planet.

I've studied German in college and world history. I have German ancestry in my DNA.

What business is it of yours whether I comment or not just because I haven't been there yet? It is none of your business! You sound like a busy body. With a drive-by username.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2018 09:40PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Schaffner ( )
Date: April 09, 2018 10:37AM

I'd recommend a KD line Rhein river cruise from Bingen to Kobelenz. Lots of castles and vineyards and beautiful scenery. Then take a train from Koblenz and stop at a few of the small towns along the way. I'm sure you'll find some good wine there, but when I made the trip I was a missionary and most of the Germany Frankfurt mission, including the president, were on board.

Anyway, Bingen is near Mainz and Wiesbaden, not far from Frankfurt.

Also, Heidelberg is a great place to visit. And Dresden! And Berlin!

Jim

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 09, 2018 12:24PM

If you're going to try to get the flavour of Germanor or any other country in only three days, it's best not to go, unless you have business there, anyway. You can't even see Germany's most boring city (that would be Frankfurt) in three days.

Date: April 09, 2018 12:31PM

Most boring city, eh?

Sign me up! I like boring! (fewer tourists to get in the way of a good time.)

:)

The castles would be fun to visit, and the charming cities dotting the countryside. Bavarian Alps? Absowootly.

There was a time I once considered moving to Germany as an undergrad. Until one of my classmates talked me out of it. She was from Germany. She told me I would hate it there, like she did. That was why she moved to America. They were so militaristic, were her words. If I wanted to really practice my German she recommended Austria to me. She thought Austria was a much better fit for my personality.

Date: April 09, 2018 02:48PM

cludgie is right, as usual.

Practice German in Austria? Hahahahaha!!!

Germany militaristic? Who? Where???

Also, why are Americans so obsessed with castles?!? Because you don't have any? There is so much else to see!

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: April 09, 2018 02:52PM

It ain't the castles, it's the history. Americans travel all over the US to divert themselves. From Wine Country to amusement parks. What they will never get in the US is a stroll through the Uffizi and a hike in and around Hohenschwangau.

Date: May 08, 2018 05:09PM

Americans have castles. Just not as many as Europe. :)

When wasn't Austria German speaking?

Perhaps Germany isn't as militaristic as it once was. My friend who told me that was born and raised there. She left because she hated how militaristic it was. That was a generation ago. Maybe it's loosened up since then?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2018 05:11PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Lorraine aka síóg ( )
Date: May 08, 2018 06:02PM

Austrian accents are rarely Hochdeutsch. They can be very difficult to understand, as are Swiss accents. That's all that was meant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2018 06:03PM by Lorraine aka síóg.

Date: May 09, 2018 04:08PM

Thanks Lorraine, that's exactly what I meant, the Austrian accent...

Date: May 14, 2018 04:47PM

And how right you are. You need to stay a few weeks to get used to it. Austrians use some different words, too, much like British v. American English. The Swiss are even worse for that, and you have to know some French to understand their German.

Date: April 09, 2018 04:57PM

Then there is much better history in Europe, than the German castles. You even mentioned the Uffizi! Which is not a castle and in not in Germany.

Mountains? Visit the Dolomites. Oh, they also are not in Germany.

I cannot stand the stereotype tourists have of Germany being all like Bavaria.

Date: May 08, 2018 04:44PM

Ditto. Bavaria is not Germany. It's a bit like going to Texas to "see America." Choose a region and go. Like Tyrrhenia says, go to the Dolomites (northern Italy) if you want a beautiful, quiet, and charming Alpine stay. There's no more beautiful part of the continent.

Posted by: Lorraine aka síóg ( )
Date: May 08, 2018 06:04PM

Or Salzburg

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: May 08, 2018 06:22PM

Now that's the real Germany. Yeah skip Bavaria and hit Kaiser Strasse in Hamburg while you are at it. That's real Germany.

Personally I thin Bavaria is quite nicer than Texas, at least I would much rather spend three days in Bayern.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 08, 2018 05:21PM

If you can, see Rothenberg. Munich is nice for historical sites.

Posted by: perdition ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 05:25PM

Head for Munich or Dresden. Must see places.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.