Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tiger ( )
Date: April 09, 2018 02:45PM

I've got a theory on the quorum combining.

They're pushing the new 'Elders' quorum pushing the HP element into the background.

This essentially makes it mirror the RS structure.

I'm thinking this is the first step on a slowly slowly path to female priesthood.

The alternating priesthood and general women's schedule for conference is another sign.

Soon the meeting will be conflated with talks for both in one.

Probably a lesser female priesthood to start with and over time all will merge.

They don't have the numbers to support the current structure and they know it.

Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 09, 2018 04:55PM

Tiger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thoughts?

Joseph Smith envisioned a female priesthood separate from his male one.

He combined both in the temple and designed this segregation to continue there. Until they have women washing and anointing men and vis versa I doubt they will combine them outside of their temple.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 09, 2018 05:37PM

The wife washes the husband, I believe, as part of the second anointing. The 2A is definitely a place where the male and female priesthoods converge.

Date: April 09, 2018 06:34PM

The only one. So if they start offering that to their masses again maybe that is more a sign than combining EQ and HPG?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 09, 2018 08:03PM

I don't think they are going to offer the priesthood to women.

JS was working that way, gave a chunk to the RS and also put that idea of equality in the second anointing. Since then the church has buried virtually all of that history.

Today's leaders have almost no prophetic aura. They can't make major changes without looking like jokers. Admitting that women are equal to men would be hugely delegitimizing for a cult that has defined itself according to gender roles. Everything turns on that definition, including the attitude towards gays and gay marriage.

Date: April 10, 2018 11:24AM

I agree with slightly different reasoning.

I think Joseph Smith effectively destroyed all of his gender equality efforts with his polyandry. He put into place a concept of higher priesthood authority given the right to sham marriages for "dynast-sex" eternal binding. He toyed with the idea of making Emma his equal even in this and failed when his male ego had problems with it.

I think "Celestial Marriage" will keep being what Mormons worship and its core (instead of polygamy) will be procreativity. The worship of reproductive systems getting together will define Mormonism until its demise in my opinion and this alone will prevent women from equality and legitimized priesthood authority.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: April 09, 2018 06:38PM

It's a conspiracy to make koriwhore rejoin Mormonism. Right now its just quorum combining, but it's really symbolic quantum combining. Next they'll rename sacrament meeting mass and we'll have quantum mass. Koriwhore is all about that.

Ministering of science indeed.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 09, 2018 06:50PM

They are already moving toward combining Priesthood and RS. Aren't they already using the same lesson manual, and meeting together once a month? Not much of a leap to change that to meeting separately once a month, then no separate meetings at all.

However, I don't see any connection between that and combining EQ and HPG. Nor does having cross gender washing and anointing have anything to do with anything. They would drop the washing and anointing entirely before they would do that. Which they may well do. It is pretty much just symbolic now.

I expect they will open up a number of ward callings to women (e.g. all auxiliaries, and ward clerk positions would be easy enough) and have joint RS/PR meetings more often until it becomes the norm rather than the exception. None of this is about Divine Powerâ„¢. It is just redistributing the workload in the ward.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2018 06:50PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: April 09, 2018 06:52PM

They only meet together if there is a fifth Sunday in the month. Like this month for example.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: April 09, 2018 07:02PM

You make sense, Brother of Jerry.

The women will serve in more of the minor positions, freeing up the men presently in those positions, so the men can fill the more important priesthood positions.

TSCC has already started to use younger slaves, to do temple baptisms for the dead, play the piano, and even teach in the Primary, and, especially, 18-year-old boys and girls to beef up the missionary force. Whole families, including children, are required to clean the buildings.

They will do the same thing with the women. TSCC will PR-hype this to death, and make it appear as though they are giving women more rights and privileges, which they are not. Like Brother of Jerry said, the women will just be given more of the grunt-work.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 09, 2018 07:30PM

The problem is "they" the ecclesiastical hierarchy cannot make up their collective mind about almost anything.

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: April 09, 2018 07:35PM

Well it is important to remember that the very idea of combined gender classes was something society has never considered until the TSCC suggested it.

All through the 80's 90s 2000's everyone was schooled and educated in single gender classrooms.

That is the story the TBM's will be telling their kids when the kids hear that Priesthood and RS were once held separately.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 09, 2018 08:28PM

you are seeing what you want to see, which is NOT really there.

It (Female MORmON priesthood) AIN'T going to happen anytime soon. Especially, since it is very quickly going to become apparent that melding the Elders and HP was a huge mistake that is going to big time back fire into LD$ inc leader ship breathUrine's faces.

EQ Pres, HPQ Pres, are vanity callings, just like Bishop and Stake Pres are vanity callings. LDS inc needs to maintain those vanity callings as incentives to participate to those who are still participating in the MORmON church dog and pony show pageant and leadership calling derby. EVEN IF there is not enough males immediately present and available to fill those spots. Since pretending is such an integral part of their (stupid) secret handshaking operation anyway, they would be far better off to pretend that all those positions are filled and that males are still contending and competing for those positions than to openly eliminate those callings.

THE major purpose/ goal of THE (MORmON) church is to keep people anxiously engaged and involved. A big part of keeping MORmON members engaged and involved was keeping them busy climbing or attempting to climb the ladder of the local leadership hierarchy ......which then lead to ladders for even higher leadership callings. The leadership derby is a HUGE part of LD$ inc's MORmON church dog and pony show.
Currently, LDS Inc has just chosen to knock some of the rungs out of their local leadership ladder. .....They obviously A. felt that they had to do something, B. have a huge aversion to consolidating wards as their active member count precipitously dwindles.

For the sake of interest and attention, it is far better to advertise a 32 car field in a single elimination race off and end up giving 8 or 10 entries bye runs to maintain the appearance of a 32 car field, than it is to advertise a 16 car field and send 10 competitors home because there were not any available slots for them. ......The great thing is that LD$ Inc is apparently having a hard time getting enough participants for an 8 car race off!!!

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: April 10, 2018 12:54AM

I don't think so. I think it's more of a practical measure as the church is beginning to shrink and they are struggling to fill priesthood positions. They may give women more responsibilities over time, but until it becomes some kind of equal rights issue, from both inside and outside the church, I don't seem them giving women the priesthood for a LONG time.

Posted by: JustHangingOn@57 ( )
Date: April 10, 2018 01:22AM

I dont think so, because then you have to start worrying about risky "ministering" companionships like sister Singleanddesperate paired with brother Nothappilymarried. Too many booby traps if we give sisters the holy priesthood (no pun intended).

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 10, 2018 02:14AM

I wonder about the generation gap? Take a smart aleck, coffee drinking 22-year-old-elder, and sit him between two crusty old High Priests in priesthood classes and meetings. Keep an eye on him whenever he's in the building.

My personal favorite theory is membership shortage. But I wonder if they expect to stave off the apostacy of young males as well? I understand it's a problem.

Date: April 10, 2018 11:28AM

donbagley Wrote:
> But I wonder if they expect to stave off
> the apostacy of young males as well? I understand
> it's a problem.

I think it is and I think they think Millennial Mormon men want mentoring.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 10, 2018 10:13PM

yah, well, LD$ Inc would have been far better off to leave the El Dorks quorums in tact and hope that some of their young renegades would fall for gag of making him a counselor in the El Dorks quorum presiDuncy as an incentive to keep them active and involved, even if it only works 10 per cent of the time, rather than just completely doing away with the El Dorks quorom like they just did. ....I love watching them shoot themselves in the foot while trying to save face over the fact that they do not want to admit that they are imploding !!!!

Posted by: archimedes ( )
Date: April 11, 2018 12:29PM

The last sister who advocated for that [priesthood for women] and didn't watch her tone got excommunicated.

Jesus Christ you people have short memories.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 11, 2018 02:25PM

archimedes Wrote:
> The last sister who advocated for that and didn't
> watch her tone got excommunicated.
>
> Jesus Christ you people have short memories.

It's called Alzheimers. Thanks for rubbing it in!! But I can still remember the look on the Black lady's face when we made up an excuse for knocking on her door and then quickly ran away, cuz that's what my senior companion said was the thing to do. Mexico City, December, 1965.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.