Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: danr ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 01:47PM

I am wondering about the lifestyle of living in a retirement community, Arizona/Florida. It seems ideal in some ways, swimming pool, activity center, work out room, golf, bike, and lots of activities planned everyday.

I know they all vary in services they provide, but it seems nice to have plenty of people around with similar interests, if you want to play cards you can, if you want to go on atv rides there are places for that, yet you have your own space for being alone if you want.

My main concern would be for the long haul, would you get tired of it after a year or two? We are both young 60's, so maybe it is more appealing to the older retiree's?

Anyone tried it or know someone who has?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: captainklutz ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 03:11PM

Not sure about Florida, but in California, a local retirement community is said to have the highest rate of STDs in the state. Double bonus if you still have a driver's license.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 07:27PM

My mom lived in a very nice senior's community for a number of years. I want to say it was 50+ or 55+. My understanding is that developers like to build these kinds of communities because the permitting process is easier.

The big advantage -- no kids. If you are the type of person who is not interested in having kids hog the pool, making lots of noise outside, etc., then this type of community may work for you. Residents will still have the grandkids visit, but there are restrictions on how long they can stay.

The disadvantages -- it is somewhat odd to have a community without a variety of ages. The dating scene is killer -- the widows will descend on any eligible widower with the claws out. Lots of gossip, etc. Also, if your family situation changes, you will be unable to take in a child or grandchild for more than a couple of weeks, depending on your community's covenants.

Just my POV from the outside looking in.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 08:11PM

I haven't lived in one yet, but have been looking at some.

Not sure I'd like living there, but the activities don't interest me all that much. I have enough interests outside of what a retirement community offers that I'd be fine if I lived elsewhere.

Some of the places I'm looking at in southern Utah are not all 55 and older communities. I've noticed that because St George in general caters to retirees, and it's been growing exponentially while drawing in retirees from all across the continent, is that many of them snowbird there whether in a 55 and older community or not.

Hence, many desirable places that are still pretty quiet and still have HOA's for community activities like a gym &/or pool etc, are not overrun by children. There aren't too many neighborhoods I wouldn't mind living in. The HOA's vary widely though. I don't really care to pay more in a HOA than I would a property tax. In essence, that's what they are, in addition to the tax. It's like a tax on top of tax.

Finding somewhere without a HOA or a low HOA is a goal of mine, if possible. Otherwise, it will be a big slice of my retirement income just to pay for housing. Community senior activities I can do without. Knowing who my neighbors are on the other hand, is useful information and helpful to network.

The places and housing communities I'm drawn to the most are not 55 and older. They tend to have HOAs though.

HOA's vary widely in what they cover too. It wouldn't be as big a bite if the HOA covers things like cable, external insurance, water, lawn care, etc. In addition to a rec center. Then you're getting more bang for your buck.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 08:33PM

My sister and her husband did so. The gates to the community were always locked, so one had to phone ahead to have them open for visitors.

One of their great blessings of living there was a temple which was right next door, which stayed all lit up at night to shine down on the little community.

Also, they lived on a cul-de-sac, and a neighbor two houses away from them had a sub-teen granddaughter living with her.

Bored to death, whenever this girl saw my sister and her husband sitting on their porch, she would come over to visit with them (lucky them). (They had nine children of their own.)

Also, they had a very small backyard, as her husband ALWAYS had to have a dog.

In addition, they had to back out of their driveway very slowly, in order to avoid running into children playing in the cul-de-sac (In an adult retirement community, mind you.)

One man who lived across from them (in the cul-de-sac), was so bored with his retired life, that he came out each day to 'wash down' his driveway, and the cul-de-sac area. (Oddly enough, he was not a Mormon.)
------

My mother also lived in a R.C. in Fillmore, Ca., an hour's drive away from us, in a double-sized trailer home. Her husband was very contrary, so anytime we visited with them we brought them 'poor-boy' sandwich's to calm the beast (which they really enjoyed).

If I remember correctly, someone behind them loved opera music, and played their records very loudly (hard of hearing?), a great deal of the time.

Then, a good-old So. California earthquake hit the village, and separated their back porch steps from the unit itself (which was on stilts--some of which tilted, but most held the place upright).

I expected them to show up at my house any moment, suitcase in hand, but they didn't, and the State came in to help assess the damage done, and pay for it.

So much for living in a quiet R.C.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 10:27PM

Nope....hanging on for as long as I can here by myself. I like the isolation of not having neighbors closeby

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 12:20AM

My mother entered a continuing care retirement facility when she hit 83. She got tired of cooking. She started in an independent living apartment with a dining room and then they offered assisted living as she needed more assistance. Then came skilled care. She bought into the membership system so there is no way she can be tossed out even if she loses all her money. That is very comforting for me to know and many others like that option too. This facility was built in the 1970's and is getting a bit dated. Although one can enter starting at age 62 it has changed since Mom arrived. They want younger people to move in. Lots of residents keep asking when I'm moving in. Since so many people now have in home health care, most arrive in their 90's with one foot in the grave. Recently, three residents died within three months of moving in. The apartments are supposed to be for "independent living" but more and more are waiting to come in much later age and needing lots of help and not too interested in activities of a physical nature. They have lots of very childlike activities that I'd never want to do such as coloring books and writing letters. This age group likes bridge a lot. When Mom came everyone seemed very vital but now there are lots of residents with walkers and power chairs. The independent living section looks more and more like a nursing home with private care helpers all over the place. Some retirement villages require a health exam before you can move-in but this one doesn't like having empty apartments so they take anyone. It's a financial decision now that they have more competition. This was the first facility of its kind back in the 70's.

The skilled care unit where my mom resides is having lots of problems keeping staff and they let the dementia patients mingle with the mentally healthy. That is awful for Mom. The technology is old and they need a lot of updating. There are more modern places now being built in the city but I cannot judge them because most are for single use rather than multi-level continuing care.

I don't like that the apartments don't have their own washer and dryer. I dislike laundry rooms. And the apartments are much smaller than most people would like for modern living. I'd never move here unless they did a complete overhaul on the facilities and the administration changed.

They have so much trouble keeping staff that I wonder if they will even be functioning when I need a place like this.

I'd give anyplace I was considering a real thorough investigation and talk with owners/renters before moving in. There are lots of things you never know about until you move in. The marketing people will give you a totally rosy picture but it may not all be as nice as you think. Mom's place has really bad food. Nothing much is fresh. They use low grade cuts of meat, lots of canned fruits and veggies, and dessert is almost always ice cream or a pre-prepared or frozen pasty. On Chinese New Year I ate with Mom and there was so much MSG in the Chinese food they served that my face blew up like a balloon along with my tongue. I asked how they prepared the food and they admitted that it was all packaged, pre-prepared and just heated and served. Yuck!

I'll stay in my own home as long as I can. I'd prefer a place with people my own age rather than my mother's age. Maybe there are some better places than this one. This is the midwest but I'll bet Florida and California have some much newer and nicer places. It is far more affordable here than Chicago where my 97 year old aunt lives. Mom picked this place herself so she doesn't complain much except for the food and the revolving door staff situation.

Sorry so long but this place is a big part of my life these days.

Posted by: dinosaurprincess ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 12:27AM

My mom is in a 55+ golf course paradise in San tan valley called Encanterra. The homes are gorgeous, the amenities are top notch. She is in the closest thing to heaven you can get on Earth. I love visiting her there. It's kind of a drive into the AZ boonies, but close enough for a night out in Gilbert when she and hubby want to go.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 07:42AM

My mom lives at the Chamberlain in Hampton, VA. My mother in law worked at a retirement community in San Antonio, TX. Both have said staff turnover is horrendous and there's a lot of pressure to fill the apartments.

Mom has enjoyed where she's been living, but is now talking about moving to one in North Carolina, closer to where my sister lives.

Posted by: tapir47 ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 09:30AM

A friend and her husband tried it and lasted about a year. Too many rules and restrictions.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.