Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tiger ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 03:11PM

Ok so charities in UK have to file an annual return with companies house.

Looking at the link below you can see the annual income from the UK has dwindled from 52M to 39M in a few years. 25% decrease.

Gives you an idea of how the church is doing.

Not sure what the 2015 figure is about. Needs a bit of digging into.

http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/Showcharity/RegisterOfCharities/FinancialHistory.aspx?RegisteredCharityNumber=242451&SubsidiaryNumber=0

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 03:22PM

Spending in 2015 was about the same as the others, so there was probably some one-time event.
Maybe they sold some property they owned?

Great info! :)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 03:39PM

There's a profit (pun intended) in 2015 for "disposal of fixed assets" of 310,000 GBP. In 2014, there was a similar profit, but only 73,000. Looks like they sold something "big" in 2015...?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 03:27PM

If you click on 'accounts' at the far right, you can see all the details "explained". It appears that Utah transferred money into the British account and then transferred it out the next year.

And rather than TCOJCOLDS prophet's Sole Corporation, the responsible entity is the Corporation of the Presiding Bishop...

Posted by: Tiger ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 03:31PM

Yh you can see on the balance sheet there was a transfer in.

Looks like the UK is making a loss now.

Income down to 39M and costs staying around 45M.

Interesting at end of report you can see they've postponed or cancelled a few projects.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 03:33PM

in 2015 they bought a plot of land in central London for 11 Million for a chapel.

They may have been trying to buy more land, but failed, so withdrew the funds once they couldn't spend it that year.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 03:29PM

Just reading through the 2014 accounts. I was looking for how much the head office in Utah had to support the church in the UK.

Donations from members - GBP 30 Million

Donation from Parent Company (SLC) GBP - 8 Million.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 03:50PM

I bet they're paying more into the African countries, to help push that explosive growth!

One item that in my mind doesn't get the attention I think it deserves, is the cost to the church (or the benefactors they talk into 'giving') of supporting young native people on missions. In probably most of 2nd and 3rd world countries missionaries are called from the population and paid a monthly stipend during the 18 or 24 month mission. I read one mishie blog account of a sister in SE Asia who reported on tracting out an inactive member, and learned that the young lady had served a mission. The no longer active RM said that her mission was the best job she'd ever had or was ever likely to have. I think this was in Cambodia...

Same in Africa. I read a mishie blog in which the American elder groused that his native companion was always sneaking out to visit his G/F, who was following him from posting to posting. This elder didn't mention a stipend, but it makes sense that there had to be one.

I documented a lot of this on PostMormon(dot)org, where you can post photos along with the written word, but postmo is down and from the looks of it, out.

Anyway, back to my point: the church is spending big bucks to try to grow and it's nice to see, in print, that at least in the British Isles, it's not working.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 07:54PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I bet they're paying more into the African
> countries, to help push that explosive growth!
>
> One item that in my mind doesn't get the attention
> I think it deserves, is the cost to the church (or
> the benefactors they talk into 'giving') of
> supporting young native people on missions. In
> probably most of 2nd and 3rd world countries
> missionaries are called from the population and
> paid a monthly stipend during the 18 or 24 month
> mission. I read one mishie blog account of a
> sister in SE Asia who reported on tracting out an
> inactive member, and learned that the young lady
> had served a mission.

> The no longer active RM
> said that her mission was the best job she'd ever
> had or was ever likely to have.

.....you know, kind of like being a MORmON general authority or full on ASSpostHOLE

Posted by: brigham ( )
Date: April 12, 2018 04:40PM

Urban Britain has little time for relgion of any kind. The stranger ones such as Mormonism and the JWs are on thin ice in the UK.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.