Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knight2284 ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 11:13PM

Before I learned the dark hidden facts of Mormon history, I feel so much respect for the Mormon apostles and prophet, but now that I am an exmo, I cringe everytime I hear them speak or read their talks. It becomes easy for me too to detect their manipulative statements that are somewhat hidden by their soft spoken words and seemingly gentle demeanor. I think I got more discernment than ever before.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 11:35PM

Will you apply this discernment to your personal life?

Date: April 13, 2018 11:47PM

I don't know if I understood the question properly as I am not a native English speaker but, yeah I guess that's what I'm trying to do while transitioning back to being me as I was a convert to the Mormons.

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 11:44PM

I had dinner with my TBM dad and oldest son. My dad asked him "what do you know about the Mormon church?" My son answered "very little". My dad proceeded to give him a lesson on morals. Afterwards my boy says to me " I guess grandpa wants me to join his church." I said to him "you can if you want to". He answers "no, I don't think like he does." I answered "neither do I".
If kids/people are not pressured to accept the apostles, they can easily see the real motives of their words.

Date: April 13, 2018 11:52PM

If weren't too weak unlike your son, I wouldn't have joined the church.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: April 13, 2018 11:56PM

Be glad that you can see through the phony hype.

I got my powers of discernment in business classes! I was required to take a class in assertiveness training. The class taught the same dialogs--sometimes word-for-word--that Mormon leaders use to manipulate people into doing things they don't want to do. They use assertive techniques to never take "no" for an answer. My Mormon brother is an MBA, and he uses these techniques to convince members to clean the chapel.

Classes in public relations, advertising, and basic logic and debate made me well aware of what is going on with the Mormon prophets. Their lying, feigning "authority, back-pedaling, making light of heavy subjects, insulting others with a smile, always skirting around the issues, and underestimating their audience makes them seem like old buffoons. Mormonism is just plain stupid.

Date: April 14, 2018 12:03AM

I was visited by missionaries the other day telling me that I can regain my testimony by bearing them. I told them that it's not gonna work with me.

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 12:50AM

Just put this on you door if you don't want to talk to the missionaries.
https://me.me/i/door-knockers-please-note-this-household-charges-50-per-minute-9909370

Date: April 14, 2018 04:34AM

I just let them come to see how each of them responds to questions I ask them about polygamy, polyandry, book of Mormon fallacies and the notorious book of Abraham fraud and more. :)

Posted by: primarypianist ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 11:55AM

My husband did something similar. Shortly after we left the church, the missionaries were showing up at our door quite frequently, and we would just politely tell them we're not interested. But, one time the sister missionaries came by and asked if they could come in and talk with us. My husband said, "Sure, but I'm more likely to convince you to leave the church, than you are to convince me to rejoin." They quickly said, "No" and were on their way. Never have seen them since.
But yeah, I totally understand what you mean when you cringe hearing their voice. I can't stand it either. Especially the women! Gag!
After realizing that these supposed "righteous, upstanding men of god," I had idolized my whole life, were lying and manipulating me, I could no longer trust anybody in authority. And I mean nobody!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 11:14AM

Glad you figured it all out, knight2284.

The Mormon Apostle "voice" and mannerisms are easy to do. I can slip right into that treacly faux-spiritual, fake-humble voice and cadence that impresses the Apostle's followers so much. It's part of their "act" or their mantel as they call it. I do the voice sometimes for my never-mo co-workers and they laugh. I always start off, "When I was a young man . . ."

Once you have distanced yourself from all of the Mormonosity by using fact and reason, it all is so obviously shallow and self-serving that yes, it's hard to imagine we ever fell for it.

Salesmen. That is all. They know their gimmicks well. Joseph would be proud.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 11:23AM

As an outsider, I see too much of "obey the church leaders, pay your tithing, go to the temple." What I don't see very much of is genuine spirituality. If you want me to listen to you and respect you as a spiritual leader, then you'd better have something worthwhile to say.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 12:27PM

Those soft spoken overly humble voices don't say anything you can't toss out as you see fit.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.