Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Old Name Levi ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 07:23PM

My two usual DI destinations on the east side of the SL Valley are FULL of DVD & CD sets of recent General Conferences.

Most of them are still shrink-wrapped.

I recall when the audio & video of GCs were snatched up by all of the TBMs, with the belief that these were records of continuing revelation and essentially modern-day Scripture.

Now they can't even seem to give it away.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MeM ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 07:48PM

If you're looking for picture frames, there always seems to be a few of those 'family proclamation' in nice frames at DI. Have even seen several of those framed Red Robe Jesus pictures that I thought every TBM had hanging in their entryway to proclaim their TBMness.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 07:49PM

Look, I despise the church as much as most. However, in the day of the internet, you can find all conference crap online (or I'm sure some have the past 10 years DVR'd).
But, the fact is, "the church" is so wealthy and so invested, that they could lose all tithing money-tomorrow, and wouldn't be on the skids. There's a reason the upper management is made up of lawyers, accountants, bankers, etc. It's an investment company masquerading as a religion. Estimates of assets were at 100 Billion about 10 years ago. I'm betting it's at least twice that. The pyramid base may shrink in numbers, but the wealth will continue to grow. Sad.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 11:26PM

Ya..what he said: ....."investment company masquerading as a religion".... And yes, "the wealth will continue to grow"....

That is the beauty of solid financially based religions.

addendum: the large supply of Gen. Conf CD's etc. is not a sign of the LDS Church on the skids. Could mean that more are watching all of it on TV! (ya..that's likely!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2018 11:33PM by susieq.

Posted by: Old Name Levi ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 12:56AM

The corporation will thrive regardless of the "church" element. It's a hedge fund comprised of two institutional investors organized legally as corporations sole, that also operates as a political lobbying group and a political action committee. The religious and humanitarian aid organizations exist solely for public relations purposes.

But the "church" is showing signs of severe pain. All of that recently-released, shrink-wrapped multimedia is unsold stock coming from the distribution center. That is stock that was manufactured with the expectation that it would be purchased, as it always has been.

Posted by: kilgravmaga ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 04:49AM

" an investment company masquerading as a religion".

I can't think of a more perfect description. they don't even have to pay out dividends!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 11:23AM

Perhaps meditation and counseling would help.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 14, 2018 11:44PM

I think general conference should be pay-per-view.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 01:06AM

It kinda, sorta is, for the most part: you have to pay your cable company so that can view BYU TV...

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 01:37AM

Are people even using dvd's or cd's anymore?

They're going the way of prehistoric fossils.

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: April 15, 2018 11:59AM

"Signs of a church on the skids"

I figured you had found used garments with skid marks. Lol

Maybe those still shrink-wrapped dvds were 'gifts' from TBMs to their 'inactive' friends and family. I know my TBM mother has tried that kind of stuff on me in the past...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.