Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 12:58PM

On Saturday, my husband and I had been downtown and were on the freeway headed home. We came to our exit off the freeway and waited to get onto the street because the light had just turned red. As we were waiting, we saw a man with a sign that read that he needed food or money. The light turned green for traffic that was headed west and suddenly, we saw a car headed west in the far right lane that had hazard lights on and then pull over near the man with the sign. At first, we thought the driver was having car trouble. Then the driver got out, walked around to the back of his car and up to the front passenger side. He motioned for the man with the sign to come to him, and the driver then reached inside the car. He then took out a large plastic sack that had a couple of meals in it and in the other hand was a very large sized drink. The man with the sign dropped his sign and he and the driver embraced. The driver then sat the food and drink down and they hugged again. The light changed for us but I couldn't see it because of the tears flooding my eyes. What made this scene all the more touching was the various physical differences between them. The man with the sign was thin, short, slight of built,ragged, and white. His angel was well over 6 foot tall, financially well off, black, and athletic. Physically different, socioeconomically different and all of that disappeared before our eyes. Yes, I believe angels exist, and I wish certain people I know had been witness to this. Especially LDS leaders.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bill ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 01:11PM

Wow..you just made me cry. Awesome post. Wish you could have filmed that on your phone, but you had no idea that was going to happen. Yeah, he was an angel.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 01:18PM

I need stories like this today.

I heard another wonderful story today, too.

Posted by: holycarp ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 01:25PM

:'-)

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 02:31PM

What a contrast with the White American Hebrew Indian Joseph Smith claimed to see...

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 07:16PM

What a beautiful story to share.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 07:23PM

Not telling this for kudos, but I did this with my kids once. We packed a lunch for a man with a sign saying he would work for food. When we handed the sack to him, he replied he would only take money. Both me and my kids were shocked.

Oh well, we tried.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 07:41PM

I had one similar experience. I was helping a family move, and had rented a U-Haul. Stopped by Home Depot to get some tie-down straps. On the way out, there was a man (~30 years old) with a "Hungry" sign. So I walked over, and asked if he wanted to come work for me moving furniture. Said I'd pay him $15 an hour, for about 4 hours.

He said no (not "no thanks" or anything similar). Told me he could make more staying where he was.

So I walked over to the end of the parking lot, where a group of Spanish-speaking folks had congregated. Made the same offer (and said I'd take two guys). I had 20 volunteer.

Oh, well.

I think the guy handing out food in the OP is a wonderful human being. I wish there were more like him. But I also wish we'd call them "wonderful human beings" instead of "angels." There was nothing supernatural or magical about him. He was just human, and showing human compassion. No need to appeal to "angels." :)

Posted by: Notelling ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 12:33PM

Agree, this is pretty much my everyday experience, not so much seeing the people giving to homeless but the homeless begging and frequently seeing people giving. Not angels but good hearted people showing compassion.

Posted by: Anonski ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 03:14PM

Really?? meh..."angel" verses "wonderful human being" what's the diff?

You say tomato we say tomaato. Don't think anyone is taking the OP's use of "Angel" literally. Perhaps we shouldn't take issue w/ everything.

Angel = wonderful human being = nice person

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 03:35PM

Anonski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Really?? meh..."angel" verses "wonderful human
> being" what's the diff?

One is an imaginary supernatural thing.
The other is real.

> Angel = wonderful human being = nice person

Then why not just say the latter two instead of the first?

Using the first implies the "wonderful" things done come from some supernatural source. They discredit the actual human being that is being kind and compassionate. You can, of course, use "angel" if you want. Me, I find it silly.

Posted by: Anonski ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 03:46PM

"Using the first implies the "wonderful" things done come from some supernatural source."

Lol..that's funny. If you say so.

Date: April 17, 2018 03:38PM

Eggzactly.

:)

Date: April 17, 2018 01:12PM

I call these kind humans of compassion, "earth angels."

They are everywhere, made easily identifiable by their random acts of kindness.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 02:01PM

That was very nice of him. That’s one of the good stories . There’s a lot of stories too , where a person helping someone gets killed or injured badly, usually a set up.
Most of the time, it isn’t the homeless involved,but someone trying to help someone in another situation,like a pretend car breakdown or something, then they get attacked or jumped.

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: April 17, 2018 02:15PM

Wonderful moment, OP!

Shame so many US states make such generosity illegal. And homelessness a crime.

Posted by: panda20 ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 01:06AM

Yes, I believe you. Angels are real. I can sense them and I have seen them. I probably have seen them in human form. Sometimes they don't appear like that unless they need to. Sometimes they move as light. That's great you saw one in human form. I'm sure it was awesome. I can sense my guardian angels when they touch me. It's the most amazing feeling. It feels like someone is actually touching you, but I can't see them. They are huge and comforting. I really wonder who my guardian angels are. I also can sense other things that I don't really like. The fallen angels and such. I have seen angels move as light it's the most amazing thing. I'm not kidding and other people can too. The church is really interesting with the symbols they have that don't represent Jesus in Utah. I wouldn't suggest going there. I had a presence with a demonic spirit in my house while attending. It's on the list of false religions for a reason. Not kidding. Also I've been baptized before , no one lays hands on you to receive the Holy Spirit. That's false. All of it false and other things that are not Jesus. Also people pray to the Saints in Catholicism. You should not do it. They all did not go to Heaven. They are alive , and the Catholic church knows it too in spirit form. Well I have no idea if they went there in general.It's on the list of false religions too. The same type of people are over the Catholic church. Don't believe look it up. I was heading towards other religions that dibble and dabbled as well so I know what I'm talking about at one point in my life before I decided to journey with Jesus again that was in high school. I'm grateful I'm fully back with Jesus, and I know how to pick a church to go to now. The one I went to before does not believe in the gifts of the Holy Spirit - Think it's witchcraft and that it is an eternal sin. Also trying to become God in Mormonism is sin- with the males. The handshakes mean something else, and you don't need it to go see Jesus in Heaven and He won't let you in at all participating in that.
This one is a cult like the last one. Somehow they tracked me, and I did not tell them where I was. Someone literally reached out to me just 40 minutes ago, and I have not been in touch with any church officials. From the branch where I am currently, I gotta get my information out.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.