Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 09:08AM

"Each of you is specially created by god!"

"Oops, no you're not. Never mind."

:)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 12:25PM

JS: Hello, is this the clone outlet store?

COS: Yes, this is Dolly 3.7, how may I serve you?

JS: I've just started Jonny the Smokes BBQ & Guitar Church of the Latter Days and I'd like to order 16 million clones to start my membership.

COS: No problem, I can help with that! What models would like to select from?

JS: I like to keep a firm grip on my membership so I'd like 4 million of the ET Benson model, 6 million BK Packer's, 4 million of the Brigham Young, and 2 Million of the SW Kimball.

COS: Excellent selection sir and may I add, good choice on the SW Kimball to soften up the hardliners a bit. Since you're ordering more than 10 million, I have a special offer today only that I want to tell you about.

COS: If you purchase the "iron rod" application today, you can get 8 million clones, plus the "iron rod" application which is linked to each clone. The application is basically a back up of each clone that can be activated with a plate of cookies and deactivated with a cup of coffee. That way you only have to pay for 8 million clones, but you can claim 16 million in your membership counts, and you save money so you'll have more to spend. Did you know you can get anything in this world for money?

JS: That sounds great! I'll take special offer. How soon will they arrive?

COS: Well, these ship by handcart so it will probably be a few months, provided they don't ship too late in the season.

JS: Hmmm, that's a long time, but I have scriptures to write, treasure to dig, and rituals to steal, so that should be fine.

COS: Is there anything else I can do for you?

JS: No, you've been very helpful, thanks.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 12:29PM

Probably nothing because, at least within Christianity, they would say that science may be able to clone the body, but never the spirit.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 12:37PM

On a historical note, this is the central them of Shelley's Frankenstein.

It is not "just"a monster tale. It is an exploration of the philosophical implications of science taken to their logical conclusions.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 12:40PM

Yes. Far ahead of its time, too. And thought-provoking.

Trouble is, Shelley's conclusion was that unless it was a god-made human, it won't have a conscience or a "spirit" of good like a god-made human. What happens with human clones is yet to be determined, but the most likely outcome is that their conscience/brains (I'm intentionally leaving out "spirit") will be just like ours.

:)

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 12:47PM

Why would human cloning be any more problematic than identical (monozygotic) twins? Other than an age difference, the outcome is pretty much the same.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 01:09PM

Exactly. As long as humans have been reproducing they've been producing clones in the form of identical twins. And anyone who knows identical twins as adults knows that they are two very different individuals.

My big concern about human cloning is the expectations that will be forced on the clone. If a great athlete is cloned, the clone will also be expected to be a great athlete. They'll feel that they've lost the freedom to determine their own future.

And genetics is only part of the story. Presumably the cloned fetus will develop in a different uterus, which will affect change. And no matter how hard someone tries there's no way to raise the child in an identical environment. I'd feel badly for a kid with the body of a super athlete who only wants to sit in his bedroom and write emo poetry.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 01:28PM

The thing that worries me a lot more than human cloning is the genetic engineering of designer babies. As technology becomes more sophisticated we'll be able to take a human embryo and splice in any other genes we want - genes that might be linked to intelligence, disease resistance, physical attractiveness, physical strength, etc. And at the same time we can edit out genes associated with mental illness, susceptibility to cancer, and anything else deemed undesirable.

And of course all of this genetic manipulation will be expensive, which means it will only be available to the already privileged. Which will make the divide between the haves and have nots even greater.

I think this will be a greater problem for religion. We say that people have been blessed with good looks or a brilliant mind. Is it still a blessing when all of that can be purchased. And from a Mormon perspective, if an embryo was created with top of the line, state of the art genetic enhancements, was that person extra special valiant in the pre-existence?

I could see this weakening religion a great deal. Those of us who've been on missions know that those "most receptive to the gospel" are more likely the poor, needy, lonely, in ill health, looking for something better out of life. I think if a middle class family had the option of giving 10% of their income to a church versus using that same money to slip a few extra genes into their future children's embryos they'd go with their children.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 01:53PM

god created us in his image = clone; sorta.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 04:18PM

invent a new kind of excuse. "My clone did it!"

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 04:36PM

If you will but take the time to read The Lost Book of Enki you will see that human cloning has been around for about 200,000 Earth years

Posted by: lazylizard ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 05:43PM

I think id be cool to have another lazylizard outand about tbh.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 06:58PM

Perfect transplanting matches; just don't let one of your clones grab the car keys and your wallet...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.