Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knight2284 ( )
Date: April 25, 2018 04:22AM

I heard one missionary saying that their super rich mission president here in Quezon City North Mission Philippines whose name is Stewart Hughes (CEO of Unicity International) says that because he was paying his tithing in full, God blessed him to become rich even if he was not attending church regularly. When asked by his bishop why he was not attending but still pays his tithing, he responded by saying that it was the blessing of tithing that he wanted and not the blessing of church attendance!

He also allowed mishies in our area to drink cola which was not allowed ever since in my 17 years as a member. he's also a big fan of green tea! I was wondering how he was called a mission president then! I met him once when I was still active and I think he's a very funny guy. He's still the mission president since I was just recently out from the church. He forbid missionaries to go tracting! He's very adamant about members giving referrals. If he doesn't see this happening, he will pull the mishies out from the area.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 25, 2018 09:37AM

They don't really explain it.
Other than to repeat over and over again that if you pay your tithing, the "Lord" will "open the windows of heaven."

It's magical, mysterious, supernatural...of course. It defies explanation. It has to be taken on "faith." It just works. 'Cause they say it does.

Except it doesn't. :)

Date: April 25, 2018 10:52AM

Dang it! It was kind of a pity to see that some members pay their tithing in a hope that they'll have fortune in the future! How I wish I could do something to stop this delusion. Lots of poor people here are still struggling. My family is poor but my parents and siblings are still paying their tithe in full. It's breaking my heart coz the reason why they do this is bcoz of the false hope that bcoz we are sealed, we can be together as family in the next if they continue to be faithful until the end. That includes temple works that requires full tithe. It also breaks my heart that bcoz they already knew I stopped believing that I am breaking their heart coz they believe that if I continue to be like this, I won't get to celestial with them. It's maddening.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: April 25, 2018 10:42AM

Cola drinks and green tea are not specifically forbidden by the church.

Date: April 25, 2018 10:57AM

I know cola is not specifically forbiddened but green tea here was forbiddened by leaders to the point that they induce guilt to members who buys ramen, noodles and other goods that has green tea in its ingredients. Not that I care anymore anyway! :)

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: April 25, 2018 03:12PM

I was with my TBM parents visiting Asia a few years back..
My father wanted to try some local ice cream. One variety was “green tea” ice cream. He told the shop owner he couldn’t have that one because it had tea in it.... face palm. 8-O

Posted by: Chica ( )
Date: April 25, 2018 01:42PM

Green tea comes from the same leaves as black tea. The only difference is how it is processed.

Tea is a healthy drink. Mormon leaders need to get some guidance from the experts. Also, they need to stop telling other adults what they can and can't do with their own bodies.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: April 25, 2018 10:49AM

It’s an old scam strategy. Religions, mainly evangelical types, call it “Prosperity Gospel”. You plant your “seeds”(make contributions)and they grow into personal wealth for you. The only one who gets wealthy is the leader of the scam. Most people who contribute think its worth the gamble. They are making a financial decision without properly vetting the product.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 25, 2018 11:12AM

Jesus wants you to be rich so send me money.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 25, 2018 04:08PM

G g great line - Jesus wants you to be rich so send me money.

Posted by: Curelom Joe ( )
Date: April 28, 2018 09:31PM

Hank Williams, Jr., in a song recorded decades ago ("The American Dream"?):

Now there are some preachers on TV
With a suit and a tie and a vest--
They want you to send your money to the Lord,
But they give you their address

'Cause all of your donations
Are completely tax-free,
God bless you all! But most of all,
Send your money.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: April 25, 2018 11:39AM

In reality it does work as I have witnessed it. Paying tithing is a prerequisite of climbing the ladder into leadership positions.

Once you enter the "good old boys club" there are some who are investment savvy and they often spend much of their church time talking about investment and business ventures together - usually just out of ear shot of everyone else.

Sometimes they pool their money for various investments. Church is a great networking opportunity for some.

Yes, the lord works in mysterious ways.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: April 25, 2018 02:05PM

Here is how you get rich paying tithing.

You get a very high paying job, like CEO of Unicity International perhaps?

Every time you get that huge pay check, you pay tithing, and then invest or save the huge amount left over, beyond what you need to live a luxury lifestyle of course.

Simple as that. The tricky one is how tithing makes you rich when you don't have that huge paycheck to play with.

I think the mission pres. was using tithing as a superstition rather than as an investment that pays and makes you rich.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: April 25, 2018 02:43PM

When it comes to answering Specific questions on this, all the 'Faithful' have gone AWOL...

just sayin'

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: April 25, 2018 03:56PM

I'm guessing a GA explanation of tithing making ordinary people rich would be something like this:
GA: "God will bless you if you pay tithing."
Person: "How?"
GA: "He'll bless you with more money after you pay us."
Person: "That doesn't make any-"
GA: "Shut up!"
Person: "What if people pay tithing is the reason they're-"
GA: "Shut up! God will bless them! Pay tithes!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2018 04:43PM by ookami.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: April 25, 2018 04:41PM

There is an extremely good member who I have known for over 30 years. When you ask others in the ward who the most kind, honest, and giving person they can think of is it is most often him whom they will mention.

He most definitely has paid a full tithe over his entire working career. He is now in his late 60's and still working his small business. He told me recently he will have to work until he is 90 to pay off his mortgage.

He should have put his 10% into a retirement account instead of paying 10% to the investment corporation. He must be wondering when those windows of heaven will open for him. My said it will probably be in the next life.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: April 25, 2018 04:44PM

It makes you more poor and will leave you hie and dry. Take it from me.

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: April 25, 2018 10:39PM

Fire insurance!

Date: April 26, 2018 02:53AM

oh yeah! coz not payin' tithes will get you burned!

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 26, 2018 02:58AM

this is a classical example of LD$ making promises /making firm declarations in a certain regard and then disavowing what they have said as they are pinned down on it.

It one his audio cassettes Paul Dunn adamantly declared "you want a 30,000 dollar a year job ( this was several decades) then take care of the Lord FIRST, and then He will take care of you!!!" Dunn talked about the importance of tithing on either side of that comment.

Larry Very Dead Miller also insisted that paying tithing contributed to his wealth, (that theme is found in his biography, and I heard him say it in person at a fireside that he spoke at) and paying tithing certainly did contribute to Brother Larry's wealth ......because Larry Very Dead Miller was a business shill for cash laiden LD$ Inc, so OTHERS paying tithing certainly did contribute to Larry Miller's financial fortune.

There are tons of other official comments from MORmON leaders demanding that they collect Jesus' Money FIRST before personal concerns/ other obligations are paid.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.