Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: almostgone ( )
Date: June 07, 2011 10:02AM

They are combining the Machem (sp) Georgia mission with the Florida mission. The collapse in the south still happening.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vanessahuxtable ( )
Date: June 07, 2011 10:18AM

Yay!!! The mishies don't have anyone to teach in my area, even though the number of TBM's is staggering for the east coast (non-TBM Southerners take Christianity pretty seriously). They regularly show up at my sister's house begging for service because they want a fudgesical and water, which she always gives them with a firm lecture about how she will never come back to church. She told off the mission president recently. She said he was pretty mad about what she had to say, but she stood her ground. I wish I'd been there. My sister is my hero. She's been out for 15 years.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: June 07, 2011 12:45PM

Hooray for her telling off the mission president. :-)

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 07, 2011 02:18PM

When I lived in Alabama, many moons ago, I was still active but not really TBM. I hated seeing the mishies riding their bikes around in the summer sweltering heat and I knew they had an almost-impossible task finding people to teach in the buckle of the Bible Belt.

So I told them that I'd keep my back door unlocked and if they ever just needed a place to stop, have a popsicle, get some water, relax in a cool place, watch TV, etc., they were welcome to make themselves at home.

There was one pair who for awhile were there EVERY DAY, and would go through a 6-pack of fudgesicles almost every day. I didn't care, they were cheap. I think they spent hours there and I could tell by what channel the TV was on that they kicked back and enjoyed themselves. Then one got transferred and they got a Nazi missionary in and they didn't come back for a long time.

Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: June 07, 2011 12:11PM

Macon, GA Mission!

SHUT UP!

FOR REALZ....it is coming down!

FInally...I had a companion who served down there and the stories she would tell me.

In one ward people refused to go to RS because the pres. was black!

I mean really!

Well good for Jesus....I have issues with a prophet who thinks himself as having done more for the world than Jesus!

Looks like the southerns agree!

Posted by: Boke ( )
Date: June 07, 2011 12:35PM

There's only one ward in Macon and the RS president has never been black. So sorry, but I doubt this.

Date: June 07, 2011 12:37PM

Okee dokee....well I was NEVER in MACON...maybe she was just making it up!

Good to know! Well I know she served in other parts, I just remember she was in Macon, GA!

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: June 07, 2011 01:45PM

Any ideas?

Date: June 07, 2011 02:14PM

Hmmmm probably the same reason I NEVER was.

I am not a shrinking violet...and you need one of those who venerates the royal pennishood!

Not worthy enough?

Too radical?

Not inspired?

IDK and I don't care!

Posted by: Scott.T ( )
Date: June 07, 2011 01:52PM

... maybe there was only one ward in Macon GA itself, but definitely more throughout the "mission."

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2011 01:54PM by Scott.T.

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: June 07, 2011 02:34PM

Actually it wouldn't surprise me if members DIDN'T go because some leader was black. I learned that the Civil War is alive and well down thar.

Date: June 07, 2011 02:56PM

Yep my close TBM friend lived in GA and she hated it.

It was a plus for her.

It is going to be a sad day when I tell her about my disaffection!

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: June 07, 2011 02:32PM

So they are shutting down the cross state rivals...interesting.

Posted by: alex71ut ( )
Date: June 07, 2011 04:31PM

In 1990 the Georgia Macon Mission (GMM) was created by a division of the 8 stakes in the Georgia Atlanta Mission (GAM) and the 6 stakes in the South Carolina Mission (SCMM). The Georgia Atlanta Mission kept 5 stakes and the SCCM kept 4 stakes with the GMM getting 5 total (Columbus, Macon and Douglas from the GAM; Savannah and Augusta from the SCCM).

Now the GAM had a real a**hole as their MP during 1988-1991 named John Fowler. Fowler wanted to rise up to great heights in Mormondom and he was well on his way in 1992 when he made it to the 2nd Quorum of the Seventy and a big red chair at General Conference. However he was released when his 5 years were up in 1997 so he never got to be an Apostle and that’s too bad because he would’ve made Bednar look like a super nice guy.

For example, in early 1990 Fowler moved about 75% of his cars to the Atlanta metro area for the 5 stakes he was going to keep) and he left the other 25% for the remaining 3 stakes he was going to orphan off to the GMM. Keep in mind that many areas in his 5 stakes had plenty of buses/trains while the other 3 stakes were rural. As a result the majority of the cars in the GMM for its first year had South Carolina license plates even though the GAM contributed approx. 60% of the areas & missionaries.

How did this Fowler selfishness impact us in the GMM? Well my first 2 areas that had been in the GAM boundaries had originally all been car areas but ended up being bike areas because of the shortage of cars. This was especially difficult as we had counties that were 30+ miles from our apartment so the people who asked for their free blue books to be delivered (i.e. media referrals) out in those hinterlands never got them from us. Fowler was such a scum.

Well goodbye GMM. Maybe the day will soon come when we'll see the return of the "Southern States Mission" as the church quickly consolidates itself into the "Planet Earth Ward" -> "Planet Earth Branch" -> just my sister + prophet as the last 2 Mormons.

Date: June 07, 2011 04:33PM

Make Bendar look like a super nice guy!

I love it!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 28, 2013 09:32AM

Must be like the Catania, Italy, mission: It demonstrates a level of regional maturity in which a mission is no longer required. (No Shiz--this was the response given when the Catania mission closed.)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.