Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: curly ( )
Date: October 26, 2010 01:06PM

A young man told me the other day that his mission is delayed because he has to pay some credit card debt off first. He said "they won't let you go it you have any debt".

He said "I guess they don't want people coming trying to find you while on your mission"

Is this true? So, the families pay and it is volunteer, but *they won't let you go if you have debt?*

I also asked this young man if he was born mormon or if he converted. He said his dad wanted him to grow up with religion and picked mormon. Wow.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 26, 2010 02:00PM

It only makes sense. Where are they going to get the money on their mission to make their CC payments. It's probably not as much of a problem now that credit cards are harder to get. But years back when they targeted college Freshman really hard, they could run up quite a debt before they were 19. I'd imagine that if mommy and daddy want them to go badly enough, they will feel obligated to pay that off too.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: October 26, 2010 02:59PM

I bet you couldn't get a student loan deferral for a full two years either. So, no taking out a student loan for your first year before you go either.

Posted by: rj ( )
Date: October 26, 2010 03:27PM

I was able to defer my student loan payments all the way until I graduated with my accounting degree, including the 2 years for my mission.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: October 26, 2010 03:33PM

Okay, so I don't know what I'm talking about.

I stand corrected. :>)

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 26, 2010 03:56PM

Oh, silly me! The same ones that gave mortgages to people without asking for proof they could pay it back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2010 03:56PM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 26, 2010 04:20PM

The whole financial system is based on a motto of "Do it if you can get away with it". The politicians have been such whores the banks have bought them and stick the taxpayer with the bill. Raid the savers.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.