Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 02, 2018 01:29AM

Today at Deseret Industries in Layton utah.

A creepy plaque. Shows a young girl at a computer. A ghostly man with what appears to be the stereotypical pilgrim's hat leans over her shoulder and points at something on the computer screen.

Behind him is a line of "spirits" dressed in increasingly archaic clothing.

On the bright side

"A Golden Legacy" stories of our famous and favorite general authority J Golden Kimball!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 02, 2018 06:39AM

I kind of like the plaque. How much was DI asking for it?

Date: May 02, 2018 08:53AM

It was all white

Asking $7 I believe

Date: May 02, 2018 09:09AM

Gosh, to think if I'd come across it, it would be sitting on my sideboard about right now.

It isn't creepy to me, since I started doing my family history. It's rather affirming. :-)

Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )
Date: May 02, 2018 09:22AM

Is it just me, or is DI massively overpriced for a thrift store?

Date: May 02, 2018 09:45AM

I thought their collectibles section was vastly overpriced in the St George DI when I visited there last year.

Clothing seemed competitive with some of the other thrift stores I've been to.

One thing I've noticed about DI clothes, since most are donated by members of TSCC, are that they like to wear them out before donating them. It's a carry over from their "waste not, want not" upbringing. Sometimes you can find "finds." But have to look closely.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: May 02, 2018 09:58AM

At a Goodwill in Mesa over the weekend, there were plastic busts of Joseph and Emma. In separate packaging.

Date: May 02, 2018 10:31AM

Pretty much only a Mormon or ex-Mormon would even know who they are.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 02, 2018 11:30AM

Was this on the package, “Collect all 40+ more!” ?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 02, 2018 03:37PM

Posted by: Notelling ( )
Date: May 02, 2018 12:43PM

I think DI doesn't ever have sales, every other thrift store I know of has sale days most of them at least 1 day per week.

Date: May 02, 2018 02:01PM

The DI in my area first offers everything to select (faithfull?) Dealers in a private auction.

Left overs go to the floor.

Lots goes straight to the garbage.

Date: May 02, 2018 02:05PM

Well that's why it's slim pickins then. Sheesh.

Posted by: NOLDS4ME ( )
Date: May 03, 2018 01:08PM

Goodwill does the same thing - sell the good stuff first to other sellers or on Amazon and then only the left overs are put in the store itself. I found this out when I went to buy something in a Goodwill last year that didn't have a price on it but had a code. The store-worker told me that the code indicated the item shouldn't have been on the floor as it was marked for sale elsewhere - and she explained the process to me. This sucks big time, especially as the prices in thrift stores have doubled and tripled over the past several years.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: May 03, 2018 04:18PM

I dropped off my spare mattresses and box springs there the other day. They are good for something, saved me 5 bucks from dumping them in the dump.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: May 03, 2018 05:41PM

Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )

Is it just me, or is DI massively overpriced for a thrift store?

P: It appears to me that all thrift stores have gone up in their prices, maybe due to inflation and wage-raises not keeping up with the economics. (They shop for need, not just for fun.)

My favorite thrift store serves as a support for charity/cancer income), and encourages donations.

Also, it has great--and often new--items.

I usually search the books isles (where I find great books that I didn't even know existed), and puzzles. (For a couple of weeks, they even featured out-dated fur coats.) (I live in So. Calif., so these aren't exactly needed.)

As I understand it, after being in the store for a certain length of time, they trade items with other such stores.

My daughter-in-law and I (several years ago), had to go to the downtown L.A. area (none closer anymore), to shop. (She wanted a triple combination for one of her children.)

Unfortunately, some do-good-er Mormon guy had just cleaned out the stock--except for one which was in a closed-glass display of more expensive items, and it was badly mildewed. I called this to the attention of the clerk, to inform her it should be thrown away before it contaminated the other items in the display, but she wasn't alert enough to get the message. (They do use such persons to give them a job, rather than a 'hand-out'.)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.