Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knight2284 ( )
Date: May 02, 2018 02:05PM

I think this is one evidence that Joseph Smith made up his revelations! If God really talked to him, then God must have made an error about what happened in the past or may simply have forgotten that Isaac only had one wife and that is Rebekah.. Dang! I'm so tired of this! When will this church end!?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )
Date: May 02, 2018 02:26PM

You see, many plain and precious truths have been lost from the Bible. Basically anything in the Bible that's inconvenient or contradictory to modern revelation.

Date: May 02, 2018 02:37PM

Also the most correct book says something in Jacob 2:23–24 about David and Solomon's plural wives as being abominable to God's sight. Why all of the sudden in D&C 132:1, he seems to have been the one who commanded such acts which he said was abominable to him in the first place! I want to pass out haha!

Posted by: Red ( )
Date: May 02, 2018 03:27PM

Indeed ...

2 Samuel 12:8 says God gave David his wives (plural).

Jacob 2:23–24 says God viewed it as an abomination.

D&C 132 says it is a "new and everlasting covenant".

Load of crap much? Yup.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: May 02, 2018 04:38PM

Don't forget the no secret combinations in the BoM that they don't achnowledge at all.

Date: May 02, 2018 10:05PM

that TOO!!!

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: May 03, 2018 02:48AM

knight2284 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> that TOO!!!

That pisses me off the most probably. Polygamy comes second. Secret stuff just has always bothered me my whole life.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: May 02, 2018 04:54PM

Some of the best evidences of a hastily constructed con are the internal contradictions that emerge....

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 02, 2018 05:00PM

Of course this is totally implausible and Joseph would have never done this, like ever, but . . .

What if you were writing the D&C and had the idea to use it to cross reference with the Bible prophets in a way that would justify your own desires to have multiple wives, concubines, other men's wives, and hand maidens for use in the barn?

If you are writing the "word of God" and just happen to add something about polygamy not only being okay, but being the only way to go, well, why wouldn't you?

Not only creative writing, but very useful creative writing. The pen is mighty--especially "God's pen" in Joseph's hand.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 02, 2018 11:00PM

So what's up with Jacob having 12 sons and 1 daughter by two wives and two concubine?

(if you're viewing on your phone, the following chart will be all messed up!) But it looks good on a larger screens...)

LEAH           ZIPAH         BILHAH            RACHEL
              (Leah's servant) (Rachel's servant)

Reuben (1)    Gad (7)       Dan (5)           Joseph (12)
Simeon (2)    Asher (8)     Naphtali (6)      Benjamin (13)
Levi (3)
Judah (4)
Issachar (9)
Zebulun (10)
Dinah (11)
  - Note: The numbers after Jacob’s children’s names indicate their birth order as given in Genesis 29—30; 35:16-26.

It's my recollection that ghawd never said a word to Jacob as he was going through his courtship of Rachel and there doesn't seem to have a rebuke to Laban for the trickery...

And as you can see from the above list, Leah had the first four kids (tribes of Israel) and three of the last four.

This certainly seems to be an implicit endorsement of polygamy, for the 'raising up' of a nation, which is the oft used excuse for early mormon polygamy.

Date: May 03, 2018 01:15AM

There are no direct commandments from God in the Bible to do polygamy! But it shows that he allowed it to happen like when he allowed Adam and Eve to partake of the forbiddened fruit. I am not sure! haha maybe there are somewhere in the Bible where he commanded it... but so far I didn't see anything. And Reuben is my temple name haha!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.