Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 03, 2018 06:00PM

https://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/news/forming-model-embryos-stem-cells-lab

https://www.mirror.co.uk/science/stem-cell-biological-breakthrough-scientists-12474219

Note to Mormons and Fundies:

Who has sex with whom or who traditionally has babies or who comes with equipment to give birth doesn't matter any more. If a couple or even a single person wants to have a child in the not too distant future they'll be able to have one. Chromosomes, gender idenity, sex organs, and orientation don't make any difference any longer.

A family is a family -- no matter how it comes to be.

Stop. Just stop. It's time to drop this nonsense.

If you want to be a dogmatic religious wacko that denies the reality of the world, fine.

But leave the rest of us alone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2018 06:04PM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: May 03, 2018 08:21PM

I saw something about this in the paper a few weeks ago, it's in the engineering phase at present. Supposedly two men will be able to have a child soon, and the same with females.

I wonder how the M. Church will recognize that not everyone has a mother, or father in their records? It will be interesting to see.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: May 03, 2018 09:16PM

Just because something can be done, doesn't necessarily mean that it should be done.

Though seldom discussed, there is a vibrant segment of the medical community that concerns itself with ethics and promotes a sober approach to medical advances.

Your cavalier dismissal of all who disagree with you is sad. These are actual human lives we're discussing. In a world where we'll forever banish a man who displays rude or aggressive sexual behaviour toward a woman because of how it demeans her and damages her, often for life, you seem to suggest that birthing a child freak with no actual mother or father should be allowed with no second thoughts whatsoever to how that infringes on the rights of this test-tube creation. Given the choice, it's likely most children would prefer to have an actual mother and father instead of a lineage that satisfies a scientific pursuit over the feelings of the child birthed from it.

One of the ancillary options this line of work brings with it is the ability to blend DNA from different species. It's now hypothetically possible within this framework to create a mouse-human embryo. Perhaps those scientists should tell us all to just shut up drop our nonsense objections to this hybrid. Why not create an actual dogboy hybrid of a human and dog? This could revitalize the circus freakshow industry. The options are limited likely only within the mammal community.

I'm not sure what the future holds, and I'm not sure this an all-bad thing. I am sure that anyone who thinks we should rush into it without sober thought in advance is a seriously shallow thinker.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 03, 2018 10:36PM

or genetic engineering, designer babies, The Island Of Dr Moreau, or The Boys From Brazil.

I don't see why two genetic males shouldn't be allowed to have a biological child or two females when XXY females with AIS or some other intersex condition would be:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/02/health/uterus-transplant-baby.html

Isn't there anything inside of you that tells you that discrimination is wrong?

It makes no sense.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2018 06:13AM by anybody.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 04, 2018 05:23AM

I agree with you that advances in reproduction such as this should be approached with caution and a sober attitude. At the same time, if you had seen some of the parents that I've seen during my teaching career, you might be a whole lot less concerned about a given child's lineage.

A loving parent or two trumps an abuser any day of the week.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 03, 2018 09:25PM

"...child freak..." did it for me! Thanks for making it so easy.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 04, 2018 09:12AM

TMSH is fond of disingenuous "slippery-slope" arguments. As if they made for good debate or something.

Of course any human that doesn't arise from the "god-given" penis-inserted-into-vagina method would be a "child freak!"

Or, actually, of course not...

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: May 03, 2018 09:25PM

If there is a God, perhaps he didn't need to have sex with Mary for her to become pregnant. Surely he would be at least as smart as the Dutch scientists.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 03, 2018 09:31PM

Virgin birth will be widespread. Sorry, Jesus, you're not special anymore.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 03, 2018 10:08PM

"Let's make Jesus!!"

Been there, done that.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 03, 2018 10:21PM

. Fish with 3 eyes, like on Homer Simpson??

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 03, 2018 11:44PM

We should leave this stuff to the greys.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 03, 2018 11:53PM

Frankenstein by Mary Shelly, read it!

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 04, 2018 02:00AM

Haha!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 03, 2018 11:55PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 04, 2018 09:36AM

Now I'm totally un-necessary.

Date: May 04, 2018 09:42AM

What do stem cell omelets taste like?

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: May 04, 2018 05:24PM

Whew! I read the original header and I was upset.

I read “No eggs or Spam”, Oh, noooooesssss!

Wait...nevermind.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: May 04, 2018 05:39PM

Yeah!almost there!
I am waiting for my little bundle of joy.

What this means to me is that my creation will be 100% mine.
No more worry about custody with a surrogate or donor or raising the child with multiple opposing views, which I view as a good thing, and at the same time no so good.It gives me the options I never had, to give to my child.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: May 04, 2018 07:52PM

ziller welcomes our new Dutch Scientist overlords ~

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: May 04, 2018 09:24PM

Date: May 04, 2018 09:27PM

Pampers

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 04, 2018 09:34PM

Am I missing something here? People up-thread asked what's wrong with female-female or male male parents, that this research would enable.

I saw nothing in the articles that indicated this would allow two women or men to create a fetus. A stem cell comes from a single individual. Unless I'm missing something, this is a variation on cloning. One individual is the "parent", not two.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.