Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: May 08, 2018 12:22PM

He diverted rescue resources away from freezing handcart pioneers so that he make sure his cargo of tobacco and alcohol made it to Salt Lake before winter hit.

Will Bagley, author of "Blood of the Prophets" among other works and brother of Pat Bagley, was being interviewed on an itunes podcast about the Donner Party disaster. But every chance he got he ripped on Brigham Young.

Pretty interesting. I didn't know that about Brigham, and it might be the worst thing he ever did. He tried to blame Taylor for the disaster, but Taylor wasn't having any of it.

One quote from Bagley that I liked the best was "The more you know about Brigham Young, the less likeable that old con artist is."

The podcast was called know thyself and the parts are at 00:07:30 and then at 01:10:45 or so.

I also found this article today that Bagley wrote a while ago that goes into real depth about the handcart fiasco:

http://user.xmission.com/~research/central/handcart.pdf

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 08, 2018 12:53PM

Great to have you back, GoV!

From the article—

In April 1855, “Young consecrated to himself as trustee-in-trust [of the LDS Church] a long list of real and personal property valued at $199,625”—more than $4 million dollars in 2005—including an African servant girl worth $1,000.

The citation was from Leonard Arrington...

Arrington, Great Basin Kingdom, 146–47.

Did I read this correctly that Young owned a slave woman? Does anyone know more about this? The Boner.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2018 12:58PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: May 08, 2018 01:25PM

If I remember correctly, she was given to the Church as tithing.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, or provide a citation if I'm remembering right.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: May 08, 2018 01:44PM

BY / Utah territory had the CHOICE of becoming a territory as either 'Slave' or non-slave (9/1850) by virtue of congressional sentiment at the time, compromises...

(admitted as a state <one of the last> 1/1896)

As many of us personally recall, the U.S. "civil war" (how can ANY WAR be called 'civil'???) began in. April of 1861

So any whining about Utah not being slave-friendly is Pure B.S.

just sayin'

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: May 08, 2018 01:46PM

This an excellent read regarding the handcart tragedy and Brigham Young's involvement.....or lack there of, depending on how you see it.

Devil's Gate: Brigham Young and the Great Mormon Handcart Tragedy
by David Roberts

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 08, 2018 01:54PM

Oh those wacky prophets: one of my favorites is in D&C 41--

"Hearken and hear, O ye my people, saith the Lord and your God, ye whom I delight to bless with the greatest of all blessings, ye that hear me; and ye that hear me not will I curse, that have professed my name, with the heaviest of all cursings...

...And again, it is meet that my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., should have a house built, in which to live and translate."

Well isn't that special?

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: May 08, 2018 04:38PM

https://www.amazon.com/South-Pass-Continent-Will-Bagley/dp/080614842X

This volume, essentially the only one that gives an authentic accounting of the role of "South Pass" in the entire Overland Migration, is a well-researched and articulate contribution to Western History, and the focus isn't strictly on Mormons but rather the entire history and geography.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: May 08, 2018 05:29PM

Date: May 08, 2018 07:57PM

Hi all, I understand the folly of the handcarts, but my question is whether or not BY, or the church, owned this woman as a slave. Does anyone know? The citation assigns a monetary value to a human life, this implies slavery to me. Thanks to you all! The Boner.

Posted by: Cabbie nli ( )
Date: May 08, 2018 09:12PM

Yes, she was a slave in Utah Territory (which was admitted to the Union as slave territory); the story is complicated, and she was originally a servant to Joseph Smith during the Nauvoo era.

Three other African American slaves entered the Salt Lake Valley on July 24, 1847; the best known is Green Flake, who was owned by a family named Flake and apparently given to the church as tithing. The faith-promoters like to claim BY gave the man his freedom, but things are unclear.

You can start with Wiki...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Flake

Date: May 08, 2018 09:52PM

Thanks, Cabbie! I knew that Utah was a slave-holding territory. But, I didn't know that early LDS leaders accepted people as tithing.

Date: May 08, 2018 10:03PM

The wiki article must have been written by an LDS apologist. A couple of other links emphasized the “miracles” early LDS blacks experienced.

Apparently, in Nauvoo, the LDS Church accepted Green’s labor as tithing—not him as property.

As I mentioned, the Arrington’s citation referred to a “servant girl.”

Apparently, Brigham's prophesying didn’t include the seeing the great civil rights movement, or how ugly Morg history would be reported via the Internet.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: May 09, 2018 01:00AM

I've got a story I tell at Exmormon get togethers involving "Mormonites" (my term for the "Internet Termite" acts they engage in repeatedly) and I would repeat it here, but a certain individual who was also involved still has trouble laughing at it.

Catch me at a Conference or social gathering sometime (I've been known to show up at "Bite Me's" Sunday discussions), and I'll give you the details.

"Deconstructor" who used to post some incredible information here noted he was "fed up" with Wiki because of the LDS presence and dishonest heavy-handedness. You can see subtle evidence of these events because of the attention given to Mormon "subjects."

Caveat emptor... As an "Internet Knight Errant," I use Wiki for background, but since peer-reviewed material is so readily available, I'll stick with it when the bullets start flying.

My Internet mantra: Speak truthfully and be willing to be a big pr**k...

Date: May 09, 2018 01:26AM

Awesome, Bro!

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: May 08, 2018 09:47PM

I remember reading a horrific account from someone who had survived the Willie handcart company in Fanny Stenhouse's "Tell It All".

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 08, 2018 10:53PM

foul putrid Brigham in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9kJ_NdZT1A

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.