Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 09:58PM

Ok why does the Mormon missionaries for? They are just wasting their mission for nothing! They lie and pressure people to be baptized! And won't stop bothering you or knocking on your door! We don't knock on their door! But Mormons never stop!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 10:05PM

Every org needs a fresh-faced promotion team.

There are worse things. At least these missionaries are easily identifiable and most importantly,

Avoidable!

Date: May 17, 2018 10:37PM

Yep and end chat if you ask them anything! Who wants to pay money to this church for anyway

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 10:43PM

Love your chat posts!! Always a good laugh. You sure disturb them!

Posted by: Willruff ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 11:20PM

Converting the missionaries is the primary reason for having young men and women go on missions. The secondary reason is conversion of non-members.

Posted by: Thomas $. Monson ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 03:35AM

Brainwashing/indoctrinating the missionaries themselves.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 03:10PM

Indoctrinate the youth in hopes they remain a 10% payer for life.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 03:26PM

and to raise at least four future tithe payers.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 08:54PM

...the Sunday evening "Fast Offering" pickup crew.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 12:14PM

Concerned Citizen 2.0 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...the Sunday evening "Fast Offering" pickup crew.

Since when do the missionaries pick up fast offerings?

When I was LDS it was the Aaronic priesthood boys

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: May 21, 2018 11:20AM

...yes, that was always my experience too. But live in a real small Branch setting with only a few Aaronic kids; but do have a set of Missionaries who do a lot of the misc. chores which periodically includes the "Fast-O pickup." Maybe because they do have the complimentary Church-provided vehicle, and the A-kids don't yet drive?. Who knows what staffing decisions they make over there......

Date: May 18, 2018 03:26PM

And get married after they return. I love bugging them! Because they bug us haha

Posted by: Mr. On Topic ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 04:32PM

Missed the "Off Topic" post?

Posted by: Just don't ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 08:53PM

Your whining is also not on topic.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 01:55PM

I, being the duly ordained topic police, have been sent here to arrest you.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 06:59PM

Key Point, IF MORmONISM was 1 per cent as great as LD$ inc claims that it is, then LD$ Inc and MORmONISM would have basically converted every one by now, but MORmONISM is not that great, not even close, so they continue to exploit whoever they can as much as they can, and that included young people who are brow beaten into going on FOOL time missions.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 08:14PM

You're right about converting the missionaries themselves. Outside converts are irrelevant. They're temporary, anyway. Just numbers.

The whole missionary program is a huge, fake PR stunt.

Missions also squeeze more money out of the parents, to pay for missions, and for tithing money. Parents and family members feel even more obligated to support the cult, when they have kids and grandparents on missions. Parents and family also pay tithing money to go the temple with the missionary for the "endowments", and after the mission for the temple wedding.

It's a $cam that work$.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 03:55PM

I had a member of the first quorum of the 70 tell me to my face the purpose of missions was to retain the missionary. I forgot his name but he was really blunt in a priesthood meeting I attended. He said the only thing that kept the church from shrinking was the born in church members. He said the missions weren't bringing in anyone who would stay long-term. So yeah it's playing games with people's lives.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 08:26PM

Because it is a sales organisation with products to sell.

Years ago Mormon missionaries used the term "prospects" for suitable marks.

The same word used in the insurance sales industry.

Date: May 18, 2018 09:13PM

I like the YouTube videos of how missionaries really act and they get all sweet! They are just lying to everyone they meet and pressure you so much to be baptized! Go to church and if you say you don't want to be baptized! They say why not? Heavenly father wants you to! Pray about it!

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 09:21PM

It's to indoctrinate the missionaries so that when they get done, they'll get married ASAP and have future tithe payers and missionaries before the age of 23.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 10:25PM

They can't stop.

They are looking for something/ someone - not themselves.

They are force-told they are going to go, and they go... because they've GOT TO.

They don't know where they are going [and they don't care].

They don't have a CHOICE (FREE-Agency?), or a voice!

It's not their "mission", it's THEIRS.

They are lost.
They are trying to find themselves.

That's why they are knocking on doors.
Trying to find which one is theirs.

M@t

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 01:52PM

Polygamous societies run into problems because nature creates male and females in about a 50/50 split. Just about the time females become old enough to mate, so do the males. In order to make sure older males have easier pickings of young females, they have to get rid of their competitors, the young males.

In Islam, this was done by encouraging the young men to go to foreign shores and fight. Mormons did it by encouraging their young men to go to foreign shores and annoy the residents.

Of course, both religions picked up a few converts in the process, and if a few jihadis or missionaries were lost along the way, no problem. Once established, traditions such as going on a mission linger even after the original purpose has been outlived.

After polygamy went by the wayside, the church needed to replace it with other practices by which they could guarantee their strange distinction from the rest of the world. This is when the Word of Wisdom went from being advisory to mandatory and missions were fully adopted as a societal norm.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 03:49PM

The church keeps statistics on it's members. It's stats show if they can get a young man on a mission he is more likely to marry a Mormon girl in the temple and stay in the church. It's about retaining the next generation. It's why they moved the age you can serve a mission to 18. Too many young men were going inactive in that year between high school graduation and when they turned 19. Missions and temple marriage are about retaining the younger members of the church. If you really want to panic the church have a large exodus of the younger members. This is why they spend so much money on youth activities and seminary and institutes of religion. It's why they tell bishops their primary focus is the youth. The church knows they can have a huge exodus of young members and that leaves it an aging church with no new water coming into the pipe. No new money earners to skim tithing from. Old people stop working and then they die. Not really an asset once they are too disabled to serve a mission and work for the church in their retirement for free.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 21, 2018 10:01AM

'Cause the mormon birthrate has fallen low enough that they can't maintain "growth" without new converts.

Hell, they're barely growing now (around 1.5% per year or so) even WITH new converts.

Like any business, lack of growth means reduction in income, and lack of money to invest in existing and new ventures. If the tithing money coming in every year doesn't keep growing, the business has to cut back staff and services (members -- go clean your own ward bathrooms!), leading to a downward spiral that ends ultimately in bankruptcy and dissolution. Which I hope for...but they don't.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 21, 2018 11:49AM

My grandson is on his final 'transfer'. He was sent back to the field, in an area close to where he started. So he's back to Monday P-days.

Today's email ended with this semi-final paragraph:

"My companion and I are trying to work super hard and be an example for the district. It's a bit of a struggle, but with the Lords help we can do it!"

It had been preceded by other pious ramblings...

Then came the photos. There is NOTHING in the photos that relates to the previous pious ramblings!!! Most of you have seen these type of mishie photos... They love to mug to the cameras! And where the heck does THIS* photo fit into the grand scheme of mormon things and missions?

*https://www.flickr.com/photos/140604460@N06/28384013208/in/dateposted-public/

I have great, grate, grape hopes that this represents my real grandson, which it just might!

And here's news: his younger brother is NOT going on a mission. There are skimpy details from my oldest son about my TBM daughter's second son, (my daughter has not mentioned a word about this!!! Oh, the shame she must feel!!) and they are NOT good for the mormonish part of his upbringing. It's been a year since he graduated from high school and all he wants to do is work to make money which he spends on partying. Apparently they are trying to 'reason' with him, to get him to put in his papers, but you know how well 'reasoning' works with late teen boys!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 21, 2018 12:45PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And where the heck does THIS photo fit into the
> grand scheme of mormon things and missions?

Instead of holding to the iron rod, they're holding to the banana?

Either one is ripe (pun intended) for Onanism joking...:)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.