Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 03:38AM

count.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 07:35AM

Hell, yeah! I love my friends! :^D

Date: May 19, 2018 07:04PM

Aquarius123 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hell, yeah! I love my friends! :^D

I kind of miss the days before the internet and cell phones when you HAD to hang out. Back in the 80's and the 90's you know. Things seemed so much more simple back then.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 09:27AM

I think it depends on the person or group. I hung out in groups into my mid-20s. After that, I mostly saw friends individually. When I was traveling more, I got together periodically with friends in my hobby group. My niece, in her early 30s, hangs out with friends in her own hobby group. My brother and his wife get together with other couples for dinner parties, activities, travel, or the occasional party, wedding, etc.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 01:11PM

Finding ones place and purpose in this big old world is difficult for some of us Adam. You seem to be a likable person and shouldn't have much difficulty finding friends. I think you are looking for something more though. You need to identify what it is you are looking for. Do you know what you want to do for a career? You may just need a job for now. Do you date and if so where and how do you find women to date?

I have come to believe that joining a church community is a waste of time unless all you are looking for is people to hang out with. Churches are more interested in promoting belief than truth and I am more interested in truth. I would like to belong to a community of people who like myself love to search for truth and solutions to things like drug addiction, homelessness and helping people who have fallen off the track to get back on and believe me there are a lot of such people.

Do you have any hobbies? I find that hobbies are a great way to meet people, make friends and bring a little fun into my life. It's good to remember that there are a lot of people worse off than oneself.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 01:47PM

It takes work. A hobby taken seriously and community volunteering are two places to meet and socialize. I hope I have not repeated this too much, but music has worked for me. I just had a Saturday coffee with a world class musician giving me pointers on music. He has become a good friend over the past few years. He is learning the clarinet after a lifetime of playing the trumpet and plays with me weekly. I learn a great deal about music theory and performance and help him with his clarinet playing. Sunday afternoon I will be playing some jazz with my new band. I have a wonderful opportunity to meet people I would never of met otherwise. Music was the key. This can be true of any hobby or community involvement. It also takes time. The Mormon church creates an unrealistic expectation that friends are instantly available.

Date: May 19, 2018 07:30PM

Eric K Wrote:
> It takes work. A hobby taken seriously and
> community volunteering are two places to meet and
> socialize. I hope I have not repeated this too
> much, but music has worked for me. I just had a
> Saturday coffee with a world class musician giving
> me pointers on music. He has become a good friend
> over the past few years. He is learning the
> clarinet after a lifetime of playing the trumpet
> and plays with me weekly. I learn a great deal
> about music theory and performance and help him
> with his clarinet playing. Sunday afternoon I
> will be playing some jazz with my new band. I
> have a wonderful opportunity to meet people I
> would never of met otherwise. Music was the key.
> This can be true of any hobby or community
> involvement. It also takes time. The Mormon
> church creates an unrealistic expectation that
> friends are instantly available.

I used to play the trumpet. From fifth grade to tenth grade and i was even in the marching band. I marched in the citrus bowl parade, how crazy is that haha. Always wanted to learn the guitar but it was too hard to learn for me. I sang in a choir for a little while as well. Singing for a band would be pretty cool i think. Singing is a natural skill i have i guess without any training or coaching. Singing on stage as part of a heavy metal band would be a dream come true for me.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 08:35PM

Just thinking....

What you have to do is practice, practice and practice some more. Get a vocal coach. Lessons can be spaced out as you can afford them. I practice 2 hours a day or more in addition to rehearsals and gigs. When you get good enough, it is surprising - people will call you. They will find out about you. Sing where ever you have opportunities. My band got noticed and Ms Senior Tennessee is now our vocalist who is competing in Atlantic City in a few months. She wanted to join us. That is how it works. Like I said earlier, you have to work.

Date: May 19, 2018 08:58PM

Eric K Wrote:
> Just thinking....
>
> What you have to do is practice, practice and
> practice some more. Get a vocal coach. Lessons
> can be spaced out as you can afford them. I
> practice 2 hours a day or more in addition to
> rehearsals and gigs. When you get good enough, it
> is surprising - people will call you. They will
> find out about you. Sing where ever you have
> opportunities. My band got noticed and Ms Senior
> Tennessee is now our vocalist who is competing in
> Atlantic City in a few months. She wanted to join
> us. That is how it works. Like I said earlier,
> you have to work.

I see, i did pay a guy to try and teach me the guitar but it was way too hard for me. I actually have a chance at something if i paid a vocal coach i think. It would be pretty awesome if i performed on stage with a band. With the crowd cheering and all that good stuff. I really did want to be an awesome guitar player though. I just don't have the skills to do it. I have to accept my real talents that i already have i guess and enhance them.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 02:37PM

I agree that hobbies are a great way to make friends, as well as community service projects.

Date: May 19, 2018 07:18PM

Felix Wrote:
> Finding ones place and purpose in this big old
> world is difficult for some of us Adam. You seem
> to be a likable person and shouldn't have much
> difficulty finding friends. I think you are
> looking for something more though. You need to
> identify what it is you are looking for. Do you
> know what you want to do for a career? You may
> just need a job for now. Do you date and if so
> where and how do you find women to date?
>
> I have come to believe that joining a church
> community is a waste of time unless all you are
> looking for is people to hang out with. Churches
> are more interested in promoting belief than truth
> and I am more interested in truth. I would like to
> belong to a community of people who like myself
> love to search for truth and solutions to things
> like drug addiction, homelessness and helping
> people who have fallen off the track to get back
> on and believe me there are a lot of such people.
>
>
> Do you have any hobbies? I find that hobbies are a
> great way to meet people, make friends and bring a
> little fun into my life. It's good to remember
> that there are a lot of people worse off than
> oneself.

I definitely want a place and a purpose in this world. I really don't want to sit on the sidelines for fifty more years if i live that long. I have never known what i wanted to do for a career although i have worked in many different fields of work through my life. I am good at many different things as far as work goes. People seem to like me in the real world although i do say things that piss people off but it is a learning experience communicating with real people and not cult people. Focusing on my health has been a good move and i think it's been paying off but it has taken more time than i thought it would, there is no instant fix for the damage you have taken from a cult or a corporation like the mormon church. As far as mind control and brainwashing no one is better than that operation in my opinion, they are second to none in their tactics. But anyways I do think i want to be in a relationship eventually and start a family. I have never been in love before though. And my mind has never felt truly free before either. My roommate has a felix the cat tattoo by the way and i thought of your screen name. Anyways, i need more of a hobby than card playing and i think i could hold down a job pretty soon here and that should fulfill me a little more. I haven't really dated for real in a long time but i would like to start again i think. You seem like a cool person felix.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 02:24PM

Eric is right on spot with the hobbies. Also, where I met most of the kind, friendly, fun people has been through community service projects. I don't mean church related stuff at all. You are giving back to your community helping others with sharing of your time and talents and abilities. No money is needed to be involved. Meanwhile you will meet scads of squared away, unselfish, fun friends. Give it a try. You won't be sorry!

Date: May 19, 2018 03:50PM

Aquarius123 Wrote:
> Eric is right on spot with the hobbies. Also,
> where I met most of the kind, friendly, fun people
> has been through community service projects. I
> don't mean church related stuff at all. You are
> giving back to your community helping others with
> sharing of your time and talents and abilities.
> No money is needed to be involved. Meanwhile you
> will meet scads of squared away, unselfish, fun
> friends. Give it a try. You won't be sorry!

The only thing close to a hobby i have is card playing but it does not fulfill me as much as i want it to. I do love music though so maybe that could be a starting point for something. Maybe i could build model cars as well. I don't know you guys are making me think though. I know a guy that makes movies and i was almost in one haha last week. That was sort of like hanging out.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 03:54PM

You have to pay attention to your enthusiasms and interests, and it might turn out to be something off the beaten path. Not all hobbies are immediately obvious. The nice thing about the internet is that it can connect you with others who share your interest, no matter how obscure.

Date: May 19, 2018 07:39PM

summer Wrote:
> You have to pay attention to your enthusiasms and
> interests, and it might turn out to be something
> off the beaten path. Not all hobbies are
> immediately obvious. The nice thing about the
> internet is that it can connect you with others
> who share your interest, no matter how obscure.

Yea, i really don't think what my real likes are are very obvious otherwise i would have figured them out by now. Discovering what your real likes are is sometimes difficult because you may not know yourself that well. I kind of just was what they wanted me to be. They being religion, society, and my parents. But what they wanted me to be was a robot really, being what they were. Being a zombie doing rituals for the rest of my life. I don't want that and have never wanted that. I don't care how great they think it is. I want something better and more real.

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 04:04PM

Most communities have something called Community Education courses or Adult Enrichment courses. They're typically fairly cheap, under $50 in my area. Find something you like or something you're interested in learning to meet like-minded adults.

I think you live in Idaho but I'm not sure where. Just google the city and community education and you shoudl find something for your area. Here's the link to Boise's courses.

https://www.boiselearns.org/wconnect/ShowGroups.awp

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 07:13PM

Years ago, I took a night school class in short fiction writing. It was fun, and the people in the class really clicked as a group. After the class ended, we continued to get together periodically to share stuff that we had written, and just hung out. We would meet in restaurants we liked, and shared a meal while we talked about works in progress. Eventually, we went our separate ways, but for a good long time, it was fun.

Date: May 19, 2018 07:22PM

Jane Cannary Wrote:
> Most communities have something called Community
> Education courses or Adult Enrichment courses.
> They're typically fairly cheap, under $50 in my
> area. Find something you like or something you're
> interested in learning to meet like-minded adults.
>
>
> I think you live in Idaho but I'm not sure where.
> Just google the city and community education and
> you shoudl find something for your area. Here's
> the link to Boise's courses.
>
> https://www.boiselearns.org/wconnect/ShowGroups.aw
> p

I have never even heard of these courses before. I am in idaho but quite a ways from boise. I will check out the link.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 08:00PM

I have it on good affection that the Boner LOVES to hang out!

Date: May 19, 2018 08:51PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> I have it on good affection that the Boner LOVES
> to hang out!

Haha maybe the bone likes to hang out a little too much. I heard you get women that way hahaha.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.