Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pugsly ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 10:52AM

This morning my 15 year old son asked my husband that question.

DH replied "I hope you find someone to love and have an amazing life like me and your mom have."

Son - "Would I have to leave here?"

DH - "What?!?!? Why would you have to leave? You can't help who you are attracted to, or love. We have your back no matter what. Being gay isn't as hard as it used to be, but it is still rough. Your mom and I are here to help you find your way in life. We would not be throwing you out."

It was a proud moment. Proud that We raised a child who feels safe enough to ask that question out loud. Proud that my husband is a loving and supportive dad.

This would have played out so differently in the homophobic, racist BIC family I was born into.

My gay brother spent way over half of his life being miserable and afraid that someone in the church or a family member (other than me) would find out he was gay.

My mom is rolling over in her grave - no, she is spinning in it!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 11:04AM

The times have been changing for sure.

Your husband did right by your child. Whether he is or not may not be as important as knowing he felt safe discussing it with you.

Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 11:06AM

What a great thing to read about this morning! Thank you for sharing and let the breeze from grave keep you cool.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 11:16AM

I can't even imagine the response if my gay ex would have asked that question to his father in the 60's when he was 15. How different his world, and mine, would have been.

Your husband wins the "best dad" award as far as I am concerned.

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 12:00PM

Oh boy, if I or one of my brothers asked my mother that, I doubt we would have lived thru it. No exaggeration.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 11:36AM

Father’s Day is coming up, and this father is doing an exemplary job.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 12:14PM

the other thread about grandfather telling the parents they had to change their daughter.

My ex's parents would have been upset, but then they would have acted like they didn't know and gone on with their own insane lives. My MIL called me after my ex left and kept me on the phone until 3 a.m. (I'm too polite to tell her I had to get off the phone) and told me all her problems after she found out her son is gay. It was an over 8 hour call. She told me she was going to send me pictures of Jesus to hang in every room as that was probably the problem. At the time, I had pictures of Jesus in most every room.

The journey from finding out my ex is gay (when I was 25) to the point that I KNEW that the lds church was DEAD WRONG on the subject took 23 years. I'm so glad that things have improved as much as they have, but not with mormons. They really haven't changed much except they talk about it more, but they've dug in their heels significantly.

For those of us who ended up married to someone gay, we applaud ANY AND ALL people who support gay marriage and relationships that are healthy for gay men and women.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 01:32AM

Nothing.

Even less if you're LDS.

M@t

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 01:36AM

This makes me happy. Your son is lucky to have such loving parents.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 02:49AM

For me it was 'what happens when i know this whole religion is bs?' get kicked out of the house would be the answer.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 24, 2018 09:34AM

Please give your husband a huge high-five from me.
And give your son (gay or not) a hug :)

What a great place your family is in. Cherish it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.