Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 03:26AM

Or give the middle finger? Haven't figured this one out yet. Probably with more time it will go away. The weird part is my anger goes beyond LDS and i get mad at churches with crosses on them in general. Has anyone overcome this that they are unaffected when driving by?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 04:03AM

I've been in churches, mosques, synagogues, buddhist temples, and the like. It's basically theatre. It's make-believe. It's not real. People can do what they want and believe what they want -- but -- I'm not going to just sit idly by and let them get away with hate, racism, intolerance, misogyny, brain washing, abuse, or hypocrisy without speaking out about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2018 04:37AM by anybody.

Date: May 27, 2018 01:33PM

anybody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been in churches, mosques, synagogues,
> buddhist temples, and the like. It's basically
> theatre. It's make-believe. It's not real. People
> can do what they want and believe what they want
> -- but -- I'm not going to just sit idly by and
> let them get away with hate, racism, intolerance,
> misogyny, brain washing, abuse, or hypocrisy
> without speaking out about it.

I have never seen it from a theatre perspective, that's pretty interesting. It is pretty accurate i think with everybody playing dress-up and such.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 04:42AM

They're just buildings, Adam. The people who meet inside many of them have done more good than harm, however misguided some of those people may be in your eyes or mine.

As a way of compromise, perhaps make a bit of effort to channel your anger at only the LDS ones. Give them the finger and your curse words with twice as much vehemence, but try not to worry so much about the other ones, because you probably have no great way of knowing much about the people who meet there.

Date: May 27, 2018 01:38PM

scmd1 Wrote:
> They're just buildings, Adam. The people who meet
> inside many of them have done more good than harm,
> however misguided some of those people may be in
> your eyes or mine.
>
> As a way of compromise, perhaps make a bit of
> effort to channel your anger at only the LDS ones.
> Give them the finger and your curse words with
> twice as much vehemence, but try not to worry so
> much about the other ones, because you probably
> have no great way of knowing much about the people
> who meet there.

I don't think i have as much problem with the people for the most part. A lot of the bad events of my life that i can remember were in or around a church building. I connect church buildings with god somehow.

Posted by: Phoney Moroni ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 04:43AM

I don't often drive past my old LDS church building but whenever I do (or whenever I see missionaries out and about) I just smile to myself.....and think of all that extra time that I now have, to do much more productive things.

I've just got back from a six mile run, real word of wisdom stuff that keeps me fit & healthy. Ten years ago I'd have been wasting the same time, sitting through an early morning Bishopric & Ward PEC meeting, before three more hours of church.

What a waste of my time that was but at least I eventually saw through it & got out. I ain't wasting time thinking about that nonsense anymore.

Posted by: FNQ sparky ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 04:55AM

Almost got dunked by the mishies several months ago, investigated, found this site and got the real truth about the true church.
They've visited twice since and I've voiced my concerns about them wasting their time and that they should question what they've been told and they will eventually learn the truth. I've recommended they visit this.site to get a balanced view.
There is a SCC I drive by 2-3 times a day 2 blocks away from my house, when I see cars parked there I thing of those poor misguided people in there doing whatever they're called or guilted in to do depending on the day. Worship/ cleaning/getting interrogated/ being admonished for not being good enough, all the things of read here.
And yes it used to make me mad about the cult, not most of the people, they're innocent victims of the system
Often wanted to put a flyer under the wiper blade of their cars in the car park, warning them of their perilous associations
Had a naughty idea of crossing out the "Jesus Christ" on the brass plaque and inserting " Joe Smith", but that is illegal and not worth getting in trouble with the law over
But, I understand your pain and anger, I think if they'd done that shit to me I would do the above with a grin on my face

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 06:57AM

There are some decent churches out there. I don't rate them all the same.

My family and I went church shopping post-Mormonism. It was trial and error, some hits. Some misses.

One big takeaway is that visiting other religions reinforces Mormonism is a cult. It gets sillier and sillier the longer you're away from it.

There are other churches besides Mormonism that don't leave you gasping for air.

Posted by: 74ftbu ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 09:30AM

Badassadam1 Wrote:
> Or give the middle finger? Haven't figured this
> one out yet. Probably with more time it will go
> away. The weird part is my anger goes beyond LDS
> and i get mad at churches with crosses on them in
> general. Has anyone overcome this that they are
> unaffected when driving by?

When you get back to working full time you will not have way too much time on your hands to dream up stuff like this. I'm sure things will improve for you. Good luck.

Date: May 27, 2018 01:43PM

You are probably right i do miss my working days for sure. I am employed with a temp agency though for now.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 11:23AM

Yes I can BECAUSE== I have come to realize that they have no real control over what I may or may not do. Therefore they no longer have a choke grip around my throat. Therefore I am FREE of their intimidation!! By the way. They have no control whatsoever over any hereafter that may or may not happen.

Date: May 27, 2018 01:46PM

thedesertrat1 Wrote:
> Yes I can BECAUSE== I have come to realize that
> they have no real control over what I may or may
> not do. Therefore they no longer have a choke grip
> around my throat. Therefore I am FREE of their
> intimidation!! By the way. They have no control
> whatsoever over any hereafter that may or may not
> happen.

When you said hereafter are you talking about after death? Never really thought about that.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 11:50AM

I drive by a Mormon church when the parking lot is full and my first thought is how fortunate I am to be free of that "religion" . Then I can't help but wonder how many of the people in that building are really there to worship and not just there out of obligation, to be seen or because of social pressure. And how many of them really understand & believe the strange and convoluted Mormon doctrine.

Posted by: readwrite-LO ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 12:52PM

I can drive by a church and do anything I want. I can drive by a church. I can do a drive by. Drive on!

Date: May 27, 2018 01:50PM

readwrite-LO Wrote:
> I can drive by a church and do anything I want. I
> can drive by a church. I can do a drive by. Drive
> on!

Hahaha you almost sounded like a dr. Suess rhyme. I can drive by under my car, i can drive by sitting above my car hahaha. I could drive by with a glass in my hand.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 12:55PM

Every time I drive by a ward house I am happy as hell that I am not inside and no longer associated with the cult. Pissed??? Try ecstatic!!

Date: May 27, 2018 01:54PM

Jaxson Wrote:
> Every time I drive by a ward house I am happy as
> hell that I am not inside and no longer associated
> with the cult. Pissed??? Try ecstatic!!

I think i just have a problem with the buildings themselves.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 05:26PM

If your entire family were brutally murdered by a gang using shotguns, and you spent a year or two laid up, you could understandably be upset at the sight of a shotgun.

Date: May 27, 2018 06:32PM

Babyloncansuckit Wrote:
> If your entire family were brutally murdered by a
> gang using shotguns, and you spent a year or two
> laid up, you could understandably be upset at the
> sight of a shotgun.

That is a very good way to put it. Well said.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 01:18PM

To me, they're just buildings, so I don't have a reaction when I drive past a Mormon church. If it's a nice day outside on a Sunday and I happen to drive past one, I'm more relieved that I'm not stuck inside.

Date: May 27, 2018 01:52PM

doyle18 Wrote:
> To me, they're just buildings, so I don't have a
> reaction when I drive past a Mormon church. If
> it's a nice day outside on a Sunday and I happen
> to drive past one, I'm more relieved that I'm not
> stuck inside.

Indeed, stuck in the inside sucks.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 03:26PM

If they leave me alone, I'm fine and happy.

Posted by: nevermojohn ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 03:39PM

One can choose to get angry or choose not to get angry. It is not the church or building.

Most people don't even notice the churches they drive by.

Date: May 27, 2018 04:30PM

They rise up and we deal with them. We don't choose them.

Posted by: nevermojohn ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 04:39PM

We may not have control over what happens outside of ourselves, but we do have control over how we respond. We are making choices about how we respond whether we recognize what we are doing or not. This is ultimately the entire basis of cognitive behavioral therapy.

By recognizing that we are responding in ways that just get us further riled up and angry, we can choose to interrupt that cycle by recognizing that we can choose to get upset or choose not to get upset. This also applies when someone cuts in front of you in traffic.

Date: May 27, 2018 05:21PM

We don't choose the initial feeling or emotion.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 04:43PM

Adam, you do have a tendency to overreact and deal with chronic anger issues. Hopefully you're getting the help you need to address these things head-on so they don't continue to eat away at you.

Part of your healthcare isn't only recovery from your physical ailments. It is being able to confront the mental ones too.

Date: May 27, 2018 06:42PM

Amyjo Wrote:
> Adam, you do have a tendency to overreact and deal
> with chronic anger issues. Hopefully you're
> getting the help you need to address these things
> head-on so they don't continue to eat away at you.
>
>
> Part of your healthcare isn't only recovery from
> your physical ailments. It is being able to
> confront the mental ones too.

Been trying to get into anger management classes for a while. They were supposed to call me. Maybe i'll mention it to my counselor tomorrow again. I almost got full-blown angry playing cards against a professional card player yesterday. He was messing with me and bullying me as a tactic to win and i almost lost my control. It was definitely a close call, i am an implosive angry person, so when i finally lose my control it ain't going to pretty for anyone around me. Told my counselor i am actually not sure what would happen if someone set me over the edge. That is not good. I know the damage an implosive angry person could possibly cause. My calm demeanor is a false front for sure. I don't know i'll talk to my counselor about it tomorrow again.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 05:09PM

When I drive by them, I can't help but think about how diverse humans are with their resources, interests and time.

There seems to be no end to the ways humans choose to spend their time and money. Not that my choices are any better. At least I'm not sitting on a pew getting guilt-infused and being sold after-life pipe dreams. I have different preferences for wasting time!

I am irritated when I drive by them and realize they get tax breaks though.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 05:33PM

God’s crack house. No wonder they need all those fancy pimps.

Date: May 27, 2018 06:49PM

dagny Wrote:
> When I drive by them, I can't help but think about
> how diverse humans are with their resources,
> interests and time.
>
> There seems to be no end to the ways humans choose
> to spend their time and money. Not that my choices
> are any better. At least I'm not sitting on a pew
> getting guilt-infused and being sold after-life
> pipe dreams. I have different preferences for
> wasting time!
>
> I am irritated when I drive by them and realize
> they get tax breaks though.

Nothing is worse than sitting in those pews. If you are an adult you are actually choosing to be controlled and manipulated and guilt-tripped. I don't really get it. I was forced into that from the beginning. Before the age of eight they had me thinking about death and the afterlife like it's the place to be rather than here on earth. Then they got mad at me for suicide at the age of 17. I thought we were all trying to get to the afterlife, i was very confused, still kind of am. Not too sure where to go from here.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 05:25PM

I flipped off a Mormon temple a few months ago. It was the first time I ever did that, and I was surprised by it. I wasn't getting along with Mormon family members, and I was sad about how the Mormon church has destroyed the relationships in my family. So, I gave them a long, drive-by FUCK. YOU.

BTW, I have seen someone else do that once. So, evidently it's not an uncommon sentiment.

Date: May 27, 2018 06:53PM

Makurosu Wrote:
> I flipped off a Mormon temple a few months ago. It
> was the first time I ever did that, and I was
> surprised by it. I wasn't getting along with
> Mormon family members, and I was sad about how the
> Mormon church has destroyed the relationships in
> my family. So, I gave them a long, drive-by FUCK.
> YOU.
>
> BTW, I have seen someone else do that once. So,
> evidently it's not an uncommon sentiment.

We are part of the drive-by f#ck you crowd haha. It's in me i can not deny it, been doing it for at least a year now.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 05:54PM

I share a backyard fence with the local lds building. Better than some other neighbors I've had.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.