Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: danr ( )
Date: May 28, 2018 10:33AM

I fly into Salt Lake quite frequently. I flew in this weekend, and like all other Salt Lake flights, it was full of men wearing tee shirts with garments showing underneath. Men also wearing shorts with garments hanging out around the knee, thought they are constantly pulling at their shorts to hide the magic underwear.

The most common thing to see and hear on Salt Lake bound flights, crying kids. Lots of families with 3-5 little kids, and always some crying most of the flight. I have seen a two year old run up and down the aisle as the mother loudly talks to him so other passengers know that he has "lots of energy to run off".

There are children on lots of flights, and I really don't mind a baby crying once in a while, but the Salt Lake airport is like no other. I wonder if the flight attendants try and avoid Salt Lake flights.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: May 28, 2018 10:49AM

I noticed garment-unfriendly attire thing. It's like, "Woo-hoo, we'll be away from the all-seeing, all-judging eye of Mormon culture! Let's dress sort of normal!" I wonder how many of them duck into the restroom to change into proper Mormwear before leaving the terminal.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: May 28, 2018 10:51AM

But then, by your comment, I was reminded why those mountain views and other scenic attractions of Utah are constantly negated by the local natives.

Ugh -- there are other pretty sights in the world without moronic natives to ruin the whole thing.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 28, 2018 11:04AM

I haven't noticed on flights into SLC. Other than more young couples with children than usual on other flights. You can't help but notice the outline of garmies through cotton shirts and all. But honestly, I don't pay much attention to who's wearing what underwear.

The children can get noisy. But that's true of all children.

What I notice more than that are the mountains and the shrinking Salt Lake.

It is fairly easy to identify Mormons by their conservative dress and demeanor. They're not hard to spot. Nor do they order coffee or alcohol during flight lol.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 28, 2018 11:22AM

Having BEEN that Mormon mother with screaming and crying kids on the flight, all I can do now is what I wish people had done then. That would be to not judge and to help out with the kids if I can. Who knows, she may be the mom who knows she’d been fed a load of shit about the joys of big families and is just trying to endure it till she can do somethings different. Or if no other reason than that I know she was sold a bag of shit and feel sorry for her that she can’t bring herself to see that.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: May 28, 2018 11:26AM

Another entirely to have them IN YOUR FACE, which I've noticed on flights. One woman had an elastic-waisted blouse on and when she'd bend over, it would pop up and show all her garments. Her tops tucked into the bottoms.

The bishop's wife, who is about 40, was out weeding Saturday with her garments showing.

I could tell when my garments were showing. What does it take to wear pants that fit and also pull them up when you know they are slipping.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: May 28, 2018 11:42AM

I've mentioned this before, but when I fly to Las Vegas out of the Jet Blue hub closest to Disneyland, it's often easy to spot those flying to Salt Lake just before or after my flight.

It's more than just the Disneyland bags as carry on items, but the garments peeking out of shorts, and when a relatively young looking mother bends over to pick up her toddler, her shirt rides up showing the garments in the terminal. In the summer, they're wearing layers, while those of us going to Vegas are wearing tank tops and shorts because of how hot it's going to be when we get there. You also have parents that look like they're under the age of 25 trying to herd 3-4 children under the age of 4.

Posted by: cftexan ( )
Date: May 28, 2018 11:43AM

My brother is a flight attendant. Not sure how they feel about passengers, but a lot of his FA friends say they love flying into SLC because the airport and city is organized and clean unlike many cities they fly into.

The worst cities to fly into are California ones. They are entitled is the general opinion.

Date: May 28, 2018 11:49AM

I haven't minded flying into SLC at all. It is a convenient stop and hub. Not too large to get lost in either.

Driving wasn't too difficult other than am not used to driving there. By day it was relatively slow traffic. During rush hour, and at night it seemed heavier. People seem like they're in such a hurry with the increased speed limits on the freeway now. It feels like they're racing against time.

What's the hurry? With increased congestion and a population boom there, it makes more sense to keep the speed limit 55 mph, not 80 mph.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 28, 2018 12:27PM

I haven't flown into SLC in years, but when I did I liked the airport. I found it clean, well laid out, and not too huge. I was also lucky that there were no returning missionaries when I landed each time (at least that I can recall.)

I never had a problem on a flight coming into SLC from the mid-Atlantic, or going back. The passengers seemed like the normal crowd.

What I will say coming in from the mid-Atlantic is that the population of SLC seems markedly less diverse than what I'm used to. It's very white and very Nordic looking (lots of blonde hair and blue eyes.)

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: May 28, 2018 01:40PM

the problem of extended family/wards clogging gates in anticipation of their arriving RM ended with 9/11. After that, one could not enter the secured zone without ticket/ID. That shifted the welcome committees to baggage return, but at least connecting passengers no longer risk missing their second flight because of an RM Welcome Home party at the gate.

Date: May 28, 2018 01:48PM

I find the Nordic population more pronounced when flying into and out of Minneapolis, MN. You can't miss them.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: June 07, 2018 02:05PM

By “Nordic” you must mean Somali...

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 28, 2018 02:28PM

"entitled " ?

meaning what ?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 28, 2018 05:09PM

California cities are entitled? What does that mean?

Posted by: cftexan ( )
Date: May 28, 2018 09:45PM

Mostly into the LA airports. People just act entitled. Asking pretty outrageous things, complaining about not having vegan food options. That sort if thing.

He loves flying into Hawaii the best since most people flying in are going on vacation and chilled.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: June 07, 2018 06:51PM

Yeah Houston and Dallas are the epitome of the civilized world.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: May 28, 2018 02:30PM

As an airline pilot, I can tell you that flight attendants dread Orlando flights FAR more than any other destination. Las Vegas is another much hated flight. I have never heard complaints from flight attendants about Salt Lake flights.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: May 28, 2018 03:01PM

Yeah, but you're locked behind a bulletproof door. Trust me, when you're based in SLC, no flight is a breeze. Yes, you get the dreaded flight to Disney World, but the rest of your flights are a piece of cake. When you fly out of SLC, every flight is a MCO/ SNA zoo.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: May 30, 2018 03:50AM

StillAnon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, but you're locked behind a bulletproof door.
> Trust me, when you're based in SLC, no flight is a
> breeze. Yes, you get the dreaded flight to Disney
> World, but the rest of your flights are a piece of
> cake. When you fly out of SLC, every flight is a
> MCO/ SNA zoo.

Cabin crew come through that door quite often, and we get to hear the venting.

You are right, I am not based in SLC, so I cannot speak from first hand experience. I did commute of out MCO for four years when I lived in central Florida, and flights were generally filled with a lot of loud kids and stressed out parents.

Posted by: mootman ( )
Date: May 28, 2018 02:36PM

Kevin Nealon has a joke he says in the show "Weeds" (I think)
He labels another character in the show as having "Mormon Face".
When I get on a flight to SLC I feel like I can target every single Mormon face instantly in less than a glance

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: May 28, 2018 02:37PM

I have flown a lot in my life because my dad worked for america west and the one airport that sticks out the most was Las Vegas by far without question.

Date: May 28, 2018 02:42PM

My wife is a flight attendant based in SLC. You're right. It's a zoo. Ever seen pictures of those trains in India with everyone hanging out the windows? Without a doubt, SLC airport (which is an awesome airport with access to so many cities/countries). Flight attendants hate the uncontrolled kids and all the moms that board with 5 kids that shove their carry on's for the F/A's to stow (not their job).The constant call buttons for more juice, snacks, etc. And most of all, the handing of dirty diapers for the F/A to dispose (also not their job.). Plus the constant reminder that the cabin is not McDonalds Playland. You're kids need to be controlled, it's not a Free Range aircraft. The cleaning crews always know when a flight came from SLC. Cheerios, Skittles,crayons etc. all over the floor. And worst of all, dirty diapers stuffed in the seat back pocket (you'll never see a non-reving or dead heading pilot or F/A using seat back pockets-they know what goes in there. Little kids, barefoot running to the bathroom,(airline plane's bathrooms have more nasty shit than a military biological warfare lab). Utah mormon moms seem to think that the entire cabin, including innocent passengers, are their personal babysitters. The most dreaded flight in the industry are not to Baghdad, Siberia or Tehran. It's SLC to SNA. Salt Lake to Orange County (Disneyland). SLC flights have the worst reputation of domestic flights in the industry.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 28, 2018 04:05PM

My brother once told the story of going on a trip somewhere with his wife; 5 little kids all in tow, in various states of crying, hungry, running around, needing diapers, etc., and a nice waitress "took pity" on them--he made it sound like she was being extra nice to him *because of something that had happened to him*, but I realized that the reason they had all those kids was because the CHURCH TOLD HIM TO!

So he brought this upon himself, popping out a bunch of kids as fast as possible.

And the poor waitresses and stewardesses of the world have to deal with it.

Date: May 28, 2018 04:28PM

Exactly! While in the rest of our country (minus the 1.6% mormons) kids are advised to finish high school, go to college, Vocational school-learn a trade, get a job, save some money, find a wife, buy a home and have kids. In Utah, mostly, the theme is; finish high school, go on a mission, (girls, enroll in BYU) return from mission, marry BYU sophomore, have kids, live at home so grandma can take care of kids, use social services while Dad finishes school, have more kids, get a job. There's a reason why Utah leads the nation in anti depressants. I don't know any woman that could handle her life with half a college education, no marketable job skills, 5 kids in 8 years, with another on the way. I understand why they're stressed out and can't manage their kids. But it's not fair to turn them on the rest of society. They no longer have sister wives to help with their load.

Date: May 28, 2018 04:31PM

You just about described my sister's life with seven kids. I don't want to battle today StillAnon but you made a good point and that is all i'll say.

Date: May 28, 2018 05:28PM

Nope. No battle. Mormons can't have a cocktail or glass of wine to relieve their stress from being overwhelmed. So, they resort to prescription drugs. Instead of being buzzed for a few hours a couple evenings a week, they're drugged up for years. Like I said, I don't know anyone that could handle 5-7 kids in 10 years, plus supposed to be a perfect housewife, without a little extra help.

Date: May 28, 2018 06:05PM

She is overwhelmed and her life is a nightmare and her husband treats her like crap. He doesn't like me either and i definitely don't like him, you couldn't have found a more opposite person than me that talked crap about me behind my back and pretended to be my friend to my face. I know my sis has thought of divorce early in their marriage, he is one of those power in the priesthood "obey me" type of guys but just plays world of warcraft constantly. They have moved so many times in their life it's rediculous. Living in south korea on two separate occasions and japan once. Lived with his parents for a while then lived with my mom for a while with all those kids. I don't think the kids are going to turn out anything close to normal.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: May 28, 2018 05:07PM

Sounds like the Amish, the few times I’ve heard of them traveling with the whole family, but without leaving all their mess behind. ( only know of a couple of sects though , so don’t know about them all)

Date: May 28, 2018 05:30PM

Amish are allowed to fly?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 28, 2018 05:33PM

Only on prop jets...

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: May 28, 2018 07:13PM

I think the rule is that if starting the engine requires hand-turning the prop, then they're allowed on board. Contact! ;-)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 28, 2018 07:17PM

I know in my area they can drive in cars if a non- church member is driving them.

Date: May 28, 2018 07:38PM

I worked for a software company right out of college, and one of our biggest customers was a manufacturing company with several plants in Pennsylvania and Ohio. A couple of the plants had very significant numbers of Amish working at them, and even had two parking lots: one for cars and one for horse and buggies! The Amish folks would work the equipment, use the phones, operate computers, etc. No problems. Some of the Amish in more administrative or managerial roles would go to lunch and ride in people's cars to do so.

I don't think having a job at the plant violated their rules. What I understood was that they could use the "modern" stuff in the course of doing their job, but would eschew it at home and for the personal activities.

There were stories of Amish who'd go to the pay phone to order pizza, or asking if the delivery guy could smuggle a couple beers in with the pizza (true or not, I don't know). There were also tales of secret back rooms at home that where outfitted with telephone and cable connections (again, I don't know if these were true).

I suspect that it's sort of like any religious group/cult/theocracy: certain people are going to be more observant, and others are going to be more "flexible." Perhaps it depends on their various communities and what they're expectations are.

Date: May 29, 2018 04:12PM

Were thay Amish or Mennonites? They look the similar, but have different rules. They both have buggys but Mennonites are allowed to use phones and powered equipment. Not sure if Amish drink beer, but Mennonites sure do.

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: May 29, 2018 05:44PM

There are lots of different kinds of Amish and lots of different kinds of Mennonites.

Date: June 06, 2018 10:40PM

They were Amish. That's why I said they were Amish. ;)

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: May 29, 2018 04:36PM

Yes, they can fly as long as they are not the ones actually flying the plane. They also can ride in vehicles as long as they aren't driving.

Date: May 28, 2018 07:05PM

I used to fly through SLC pretty frequently, although I have not in the last 5 years or so.

Two things made impressions on me:

1) All the invitations to tour Temple Square during your layover. Uh... no thanks.

2) Going back more like ten or fifteen years, there were a lot of girls wearing long black pants that were very baggy/flowing. At first glance they looked like nearly ankle-length skirts. They always struck me as more fundy than LDS, and they weren't aviation people. More like crews that were cleaning the airport, janitorial, emptying trash cans, etc. Perhaps someone got a contract to clean, and the dress code called for black pants...?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 28, 2018 07:43PM

Yes, they're annoying. All it takes is for one yodel to start singing "Come Come ye Saints" when passing over the temple to get the entire plane singing that crap.

Posted by: Moe Howard ( )
Date: May 29, 2018 02:02PM

The thing I remember most is all the people with posters and balloons waiting for a RM.

Date: May 29, 2018 04:29PM

The new airport terminal (due to open in 2020) is going to have a designated RM area, as not to clog up normal travelers. Paid for by "the" church. I shit you not. Yesterday, the Delta flight, carrying latest mormon martyr, Josh Holt, was supposed to land at C concourse. So many people (a real mob)showed up, Delta open D terminal (International) which is only open certain times on certain days, depending on International takeoffs and arrivals,just for that one plane, to get the mob out of the way of regular traffic. I wish they'd make 'em wait in the parking garage.

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: May 29, 2018 02:17PM

That's outrageous to think that any LDS family would only have 3-5 little kids who are younger than the super mature age of 8 when they are so mature/responsible that they are well ready to make the most important commitment of their life. You would think that any LDS family who is trying to live the gospel would have at least 6-7 children in that age group. Well I reckon that this just proves that we are in the Last Days if even the most righteous are being wickedly lazy in having just 3-5 young kids. I should probably mention this in this next Sunday's special time where I get to stand up in front of my Ward and give them a long monologue about all sorts of things in F&T meeting :)

Posted by: ApostNate ( )
Date: May 30, 2018 02:13PM

I just flew to Salt Lake from Florida last week and was asked by an old couple sitting next to me if I knew what an LDS mission was. I said yeah seeing as how I served one. The lady then proceeded to boast that all 9 of her kids served missions as did she and her hubby before they got married. So they were 11 for 11. Worst flight ever!

Date: May 30, 2018 02:24PM

"Worst flight ever!"

No, the worst flight would have been if you replied "No" to the missionary question. Then, you would have spent 4 hours listening to the conversion speech and the history and magnificence of Joseph Smith. You got lucky.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: June 07, 2018 06:56PM

That usually shuts them up.

Posted by: Disgusted ( )
Date: June 07, 2018 01:19AM

A few years ago, I was flying into SLC when I got up to use the bathroom. When I stepped into it, I noticed that someone had smeared shit all over the walls and countertop. It was totally disgusting.

I have no idea WHY I didn’t immediately grab a flight attendant and report it. I just dealt with it and never said anything. WTF was I thinking???

Years later, there was a man arrested on a flight for doing this in the bathroom. And it also made me wonder if anyone thought that I had done it since I had used the bathroom and never said anything about it.

I’ll never let that happen again!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.