Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: grootheprophet ( )
Date: May 29, 2018 11:04AM

Long story short, my wife manipulated me into returning to Mormonism to keep out marriage together. She bought me brand new garments after I hadn't worn them for more than 10 years. I wore them for about a month, boy do I hate them.

A couple of weeks ago, I donated them to the local Goodwill facility. What a great feeling! The stress melted from my shoulders and happiness returned.

I did call my father and brothers to see if they wanted them, but they all turned them down. I needed room in my dresser for my current under clothes.

I hope whoever picks them up enjoys them.

Groo the Prohphet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2018 11:04AM by grootheprophet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: May 29, 2018 11:18AM

As the summer is upon us, I realize again how lucky I am not to be wearing garments.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 29, 2018 11:24AM

The cotton ones make decent car wash rags. The polyester ones aren't good for anything. :)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 02, 2018 04:31AM

They make a really cool black smoke when you burn them.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 29, 2018 11:28AM

I wish you success and happiness in your renewed life as an ex-Mo, and hope that your wife will learn, and accept, "the truth that sets you free."

A suggestion: destroy or recycle LDS items, lest they be used to attract some other person to become, or stay, Mormon. Except for what I kept for critical study, all my Christian Science books and literature were dumped into the bottom of the recycle bin. I didn't want either a casual passer-by to see it and read it out for curiosity's sake.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: May 30, 2018 01:52AM

I shred them, garments and Mormon literature. I'd feel terrible if either one got into the hands of a poor innocent and gave them the itch to try out Mormonism.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: May 30, 2018 02:38PM

That's exactly how I felt, like Caffiend and Pooped. I imagined some unfortunate child being forced to read one of my BOM's. I had a whole bookcase full of Mormon Deseret Books, manuals, and Mormon music.

At least in recycling, I could help save a tree!

Yes, there is that "giddy and warm feeling" in getting rid of all that Mormon junk.

Welcome, and congratulations, grootheprophet!

Date: June 02, 2018 04:34AM

Remember, Caffiend, that the church is trying to bury its history--the doctrines, the personal experiences and journals, the books. In this case there is a good argument for preserving a lot of the stuff so Mormons, and perhaps the world, do not forget.

There is no reason to join the LDS authorities in Fahrenheit 451.

Posted by: evileric ( )
Date: May 29, 2018 12:24PM

I cut my polyester garments up into tiny squares and used them to clean the bores of my rifles. About the only thing garments were good for. I quit wearing my garments after wearing those horrible things for almost 30 years on January 20, 2016. NEVER AGAIN!

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: May 29, 2018 12:34PM

I’m wondering what the people working at Goodwill were thinking when they saw them, like what they were and where at in the store to hang them. If an LDS person came in,they’d more than likely buy them , to keep unapproved eyes from seeing them.
They might ask if they knew who dropped them off and look around the store to make sure they found them all, their good deed for the day.

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: May 29, 2018 01:18PM

You donated underwear? Eeeeek! Ick.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 29, 2018 01:28PM

I remember Bill Clinton being the subject of jokes when he listed his boxers on his charitable deductions.

Date: June 02, 2018 04:38AM

And his socks, if I recall correctly, and both the socks and the undies were valued quite highly.

Boxer-gate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2018 04:38AM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: May 29, 2018 02:25PM

And what is your wife going to say when she finds out?

Posted by: grootheprophet ( )
Date: May 30, 2018 02:18PM

I had only worn each piece maybe twice. There were still extra white.

I didn't tell my wife that I donated them, I told them that one of my brother's wanted them.

Not much chance for a mormon person to run onto them, I don't live near Utah at all.

After I did it, I felt all giddy and warm inside. I couldn't stop smiling. 'Ya think that was the spirit telling me that I did the right thing?

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: May 30, 2018 11:00PM

Yes. The spirit wants you to be more comfortable. God doesn't care about Mormon garments, so why should the spirit? S(he) just wants you to be happy in your underwear.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: June 02, 2018 03:20AM

For a long time, I kept them in a brown paper grocery sack, stuffed at the back of my closet. I wasn't quite sure what to do with them. I got tired of seeing that paper bag, so it finally got thrown out with the week's trash.

And to think, we went to such trouble, to be allowed to wear them. . .

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.