Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: June 03, 2018 04:58PM

Because you could not find any in real life. For example with me it was the gladiator, wolverine, or achilles to name a few. Did anyone else do this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 03, 2018 05:03PM

Yes, for the same reason. Batman, Max Smart, other kids' fathers.

Date: June 03, 2018 05:08PM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, for the same reason. Batman, Max Smart, other
> kids' fathers.

Hell yea batman is a good one. I always wanted to have my friends' fathers especially the non-religious ones. Not sure who max smart is though.

Date: June 03, 2018 06:14PM

He was a spy played by Don Adams in a TV show. It was comedy, but then so was Batman.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 03, 2018 06:16PM

For me it was Agent 99. She was the sane one. :D

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: June 04, 2018 10:02AM

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: June 03, 2018 06:08PM

Don Corleone.

Date: June 03, 2018 08:00PM

Don Corelone showed me what a father would be like if family was real to him. My father just faked it all in a lackadaisical way.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 03, 2018 07:42PM

Girls' literature is filled with strong, smart, brave, and adventurous girls and women. For my generation, it was Anne of Green Gables, Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, Cherry Ames, Vicky Barr, and many others. I'm sure there are many others that have come along as well.

As an adult, I've strongly identified with (the late) Sue Grafton's character Kinsey Millhone as being a very independent, self-sufficient single woman.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2018 07:42PM by summer.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: June 03, 2018 09:03PM

When I was little, I adored Jo March, from "Little Women." She was independent, creative, had little patience for silly, fussy rules - just like me.

As an adult, like summer, I have cherished Kinsey Milhone. I also admire Patricia Cornwell's character of Dr. Kay Scarpetta. Kay is tough and thoroughly cerebral, though she loves the people she allows to get through to her.

Since I have always been a serious reader, book characters sometimes seem more like friends or distant relatives to me.

Date: June 03, 2018 07:43PM

It's nice that i am not the only one that did this. My counselor said that there is nothing wrong with this.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: June 03, 2018 09:17PM

yes.

As a kid i looked up to Little Women's Marmee as a role model of a good mother, also Heidi's grandfather and grandmamma. I liked Sara of The little Princess. Loved Laura Ingalls and Ma Ingalls. These people were like friends to me. I would feel drawn -like i missed them- to one or the other and then would reread the stories. I also loved the resourcefulness and determination of Karana of Island of the Blue Dolphins. Learned about being not prejudiced by reading The Cay, a story of a blind white boy and how a black man saves his life, and how he changes his views of people when i was in gr. 6. By reading and rereading them many classic books probably helped me in wways i may not even understand. I still remember a quote by Loisa Alcott in Little Men: We are raising children, not apples or something like that that taught me about how child rearing worked- what was important was what the child learned, not how the house, yard, orchard looked. Like letting our son help build the fence in the backyard even tho it may not have been as perfect, because we were raising him, not fences.

Yup, lots of books assisted me in my life. Also biographies like: The Von Trapp Family Singers, the story, told by Maria Von Trapp, of how the family worked played loved and learned together. Read that over and over again.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: June 03, 2018 09:27PM

For some reason, even as a little kid, I understood the difference between reality and fiction. Maybe because fiction was always too good, to wonderful, too perfect and reality was rather boring and flawed. So I think I concluded it was impossible to be as good as fictional characters. Modeling myself after them would be dooming myself to failure.

Date: June 03, 2018 10:06PM

You make a good point. As i have gotten older i have realized more and more that i can not copy these characters in real life and that i am not these characters.

Posted by: verdacht ( )
Date: June 03, 2018 10:08PM

My mother said she hoped I turned out like Atticus Finch. What she really meant was she hoped I'd look like Gregory Peck. Well...no.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: June 03, 2018 10:27PM

Not sure if these count because as I was growing up most everyone told me they were real: Lehi, Nephi, Alma, Ammon, Mormon, Moroni and etc.

Date: June 03, 2018 10:41PM

Shinehah Wrote:
> Not sure if these count because as I was growing
> up most everyone told me they were real: Lehi,
> Nephi, Alma, Ammon, Mormon, Moroni and etc.

Hell i'm still trying to deprogram those guys from being real in my brain. Watched tons of cartoons with those characters as well.

Posted by: laughing in provo ( )
Date: June 03, 2018 10:39PM

holden caulfield

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: June 03, 2018 10:48PM

lol

Date: June 04, 2018 10:00AM

In the 1960s, dedicated followers of Ayn Rand--"Objectivists"--were supposed to pattern their lives after John Galt, the fictional hero of Ms. Rand's 1,080-page novel "Atlas Shrugged."

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: June 04, 2018 11:35AM

"Who's John Galt?"

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: June 07, 2018 04:59AM

I don't remember much of a plot or why so many people thought it was fantastic. I love to read, and I have pretty wide-ranging tastes - but Ayn Rand just onesn't one of them.

Date: June 07, 2018 11:15AM

I've still got my hardcover edition and tried to read it again a few years ago--couldn't get past the first few pages. Even when I did read it straight through back in the 1960s, I thought it was just a bit tedious and pedantic.
But some people were really hooked on it, and completely idolized Ms. Rand and Mr. Galt--leading to the strange phenomenon of a full-blown cult, theoretically based on the nobility of the individual. I guess it takes all kinds.
And though I haven't looked at it lately, I remember her first novel--"We the Living"--had more going for it.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: June 07, 2018 02:36PM

I watched the movie and ended up coming down with a case of eye cancer.

Date: June 07, 2018 02:37PM

. . . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2018 02:37PM by fossilman.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: June 04, 2018 10:24AM

The Mormon way would be to take some paper in your hand and with a pencil draw a man.

In the 1970s and 80s, that would have provided a proper Mormon role model for both sexes.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: June 04, 2018 11:33AM

WWMRD (What Would Mitch Rapp Do?)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 04, 2018 12:03PM

I related to the Ugly Duckling as a child and also many fairy tale characters. There is wisdom in many of those old tales.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 04, 2018 12:43PM

Eeyore....he da man....err...da donkey!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 04, 2018 01:17PM

Fictional character?

You mean like an honest, god-seeing, married-only-to-Emma Joseph Smith?
Or an honest, "prophet" Brigham Young?

The "mormon founders" I was taught about were fictional.
I didn't look up to them for very long, though.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: June 04, 2018 01:35PM

Yes. For my father it was the Lone Ranger. But for me it's Doctor Who(old school), Superheros, James West(James Conrad version), James Bond, Star Trek, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jack Ryan. I've got a lot of them so I often lose count!!

Date: June 04, 2018 02:23PM

Anonymous 2 Wrote:
> Yes. For my father it was the Lone Ranger. But for
> me it's Doctor Who(old school), Superheros, James
> West(James Conrad version), James Bond, Star Trek,
> Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jack Ryan. I've got a
> lot of them so I often lose count!!

It's all about the story of anakin skywalker. I can sort of relate to that guy. Couldn't relate to luke at all except when he became a grumpy old man on an island.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: June 07, 2018 07:38AM

I think most people do. It is very possible that Jesus was a fictional character or at least many of his traits are possibly fictional.

I looked up to Alma in the Book of Mormon; a fictional character.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: June 07, 2018 07:58AM

Winnetou

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: June 07, 2018 11:41AM

Jesus Christ

Posted by: captainklutz ( )
Date: June 07, 2018 12:56PM

James Tiberius Kirk and Mr. Spock.

Where the green-skinned women at??? (With apologies to Blazing Saddles).

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: June 07, 2018 01:42PM

Yes! Nephi!

Oh, wait... ;oD

Date: June 07, 2018 02:38PM

Aragorn

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.