Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 08, 2018 05:45PM

I got this response on face book from one Byron Story:

"Shem the son of Noah lived about 500 years after the flood. Abraham was born about 300 years after the flood and lived about 175 years. Issac lived 180 years and jacob lived 147 years. Lifespans gradually got shorter and shorter till the time of King David who died at about 70. We all, now are blessed if we have more than threescore and 10 or 70 years. Two points, 1: something happened after the flood and lifespans of men grew shorter and shorter, maybe more cosmic rays due to a breakdown of the original ozone layer? Whatever, doesn’t matter. Number 2: Shem was on the Ark with Noah and lived after the flood thru the life of Abraham, Issac and died at about the 50th year of Jacob’s life or about 75-100 years before the Jews moved to Egypt. So, you ask ..”How did Moses get the information to write the first 5 books of the Bible? Not too hard to understand if you believe and think about it, and if you don’t want to believe, it wouldn’t matter if Gabriel the archangel took you to heaven to talk to God himself, you would still chose to deny what is right before your face."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bruce A Holt ( )
Date: June 08, 2018 07:28PM

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 08, 2018 09:42PM

Yeah, and the sun stood still in the heavens, too.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: June 09, 2018 02:11AM

Incredible powers of reasoning

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: June 09, 2018 10:20AM

I'd rather believe in Star Trek.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 09, 2018 10:32AM

I taught one of my children the Vulcan salute last night. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2018 01:10PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 09, 2018 01:05PM

Which was really the Priestly blessing that Leonard Nimoy gave to his audience each time he used it. The story behind the story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyiWkWcR86I

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2018 01:08PM by Amyjo.

Date: June 09, 2018 01:04PM

The guy and another guy with the same last name kept bugging me and trying to "prove" Noah's flood. I gave up and unfollowed him.

Posted by: Paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: June 09, 2018 01:19PM

Its like really articulate math

Its imprecise and there's a solution set
And its speared with specific variable numeric solutions stated as a specific solution for the problem
From within the wonderful worlds universe plethora of points which all exist among the solution set

This person speared a very specific one within the gigantic solution set and expressed a reason for it

It's like articulate math
Articulating how the beliefs add up from their point of view standing on this beautiful blue sphere reclining in the gravity well pressurized atmosphere pontificating on how this planets saga in the universe came to be from their point of view

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 09, 2018 01:23PM

The entire earth covered in water right up over the Alps and the Himalayas and the Andes in just 40 days and nights of rain of rain. Just sayin' . . .

And then it's all gone in no time at all and things are back to normal. Wow. God is great! Hardy har har har.

I would tell the guys who posted that, "Yeah, then as the water was subsiding, Noah must have gone to Australia to drop off the Kangaroos and Koalas, then hit Africa to drop off the Lions Tigers and Zebras, and on and on until he dropped off the last bear in Russia and ended up on Ararat. God is great!

Noah was great too!

Grown ups. Believing this. Wow. God IS great!

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: June 09, 2018 11:01PM

Done & Done

You haven't been following all the thread, especially the ones on the edge of sanity.

Complete flooding of the world to the top of the highest mountains and then drained away in a few weeks can be easily explained by the "fact" the world is flat and all the excess water spilt over the edge into eternal darkness, I.e.,we can't see it anymore.

Then there's the various first visions. That's easily explained by the "fact", JS had several different visions that were so sacred and mind blowing, he couldn't fully understand so he said there was only one. In reality he was recalling different scenes from different visions.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 10, 2018 10:43AM

I can't thank you enough for straightening me out. Bless you.

I hope some of that water that ran off the edge ended up in Outer Darkness. Would nice to go boating as I'm weeping, wailing, and gnashing my teeth!

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: June 09, 2018 01:25PM

There are a lot of dumb stories in my head from religion that is for sure.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 09, 2018 01:36PM

A mind is a terrible thing to waste

A M E N !!!!!

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: June 09, 2018 01:45PM

Tell this guy I'll take him up on the meeting with God and Gabriel the archangel offer. I'll believe then, I promise.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: June 09, 2018 02:38PM

help them continue to believe. I remember doing stuff like that, but NEVER to this extent. Just Wow!

Date: June 10, 2018 12:35AM

Aaron Blaylock: I find that the more Progressive members of the church are probably in spiritual turmoil. That's almost any organization they're going to find that there creating victims. The progressive mindset automatically concludes that everybody is out to get somebody because they're racist, sexist, homophobic or whatever they like to throw out. They dwell on things of the past , with only partial information due to current day indoctrination, and they dig at issues like slavery as if their current issues. The partial information Park is, they don't acknowledge that Africans sold their own people to us for slavery, blacks were slave owners, white people were slaves but we called them endangered servants, and most of us was by their Heroes the Democrats which is the most Progressive Party. They ignore all those facts.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: June 10, 2018 03:21AM

This is how people operate, to one degree or another. They go on what they accept as truths and reason from there. Others may see faults in their premises, but that doesn't mean their logic is faulty.

And I have to speculate...in 500 years, or even much less, how much of our current consensus reality will be shown to be false? ALL our arguments about "reality" are based on our current accepted worldview. If science is continually "self-correcting," as it is so often claimed, that means that it is also continually in error, or correction wouldn't be needed.

If we are on a journey to Truth, it's strange how we argue with those who may be (in our thinking) a few steps behind and also dismiss as nuts those who may be a few steps ahead.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.