Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 08:56PM

In order to believe the story of Noah the way Mormons are expected to believe it requires an unbelievable level of cognitive dissonance and an extreme ability to ignore the facts. The story of Noah is not only important to the bible, it is essential to the Book of Mormon and the Pearl of Great Price. Over the years, in conference talks, ensign articles, and other General Authorities’ writings, the literal, world-wide flood (“baptism of the earth”) is constantly reaffirmed.

There are mountains of evidence from various branches of science (biology, geology, paleontology, etc.) that completely and decisively dismiss the notion of a worldwide flood and near complete human and animal extinction within the past few thousand years, but for this post, I’m going to ignore the science and just focus on the stupidity of the story itself.

In Genesis chapter 6, God notices that people are wicked: “5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
6 And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.”

Wow—God seemed to be surprised that people had turned wicked. The Supreme Being who is supposed to know all and see all from the beginning to the end of time, wasn’t expecting his people to be evil. The same God who knew more than two thousand years in advance that Martin Harris would lose 116 pages was taken off guard by the behavior of the earth’s inhabitants, and was sorry that he ever put people on the earth.

Yes, people were wicked, but God had a solution: “And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.” He didn’t decide to punish the leaders, he didn’t even consider destroying the most evil people in hopes that others would learn No, his solution was to kill. Kill all people (no matter how innocent). Kill all animals. Kill all birds. Kill everything. Kill. Kill. Kill.

The story of Noah is truly stupid. And the “God” in the story is a hideous, evil monster.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 09:02PM

Moses was the first comic book writer. I like Stan Lee better.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 09:43PM

It is a bastardized myth forced into the cruel context of Jehovah, the barbarian god of desert nomads.

Anyone who doesn't resent their parents for forcing this malarky on them deserves a medal for restraint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2018 09:44PM by donbagley.

Posted by: logged out for the weekend ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 09:49PM

Morms are commanded and expected to believe that Noah was 600 years old when the Big Bath hit (which is still less than a Moon Quaker); they don't like to admit it's official church doctrine, but if pressed will defend it.

And then Noah and the Gang repopulated the earth with incest.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 10:05PM

“repopulated the earth with incest”

That explains a lot.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 10:13PM

An excellent question to ask missionaries .... "What am I expected to believe in order to become a mormon."

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: June 17, 2018 08:50AM

A great suggestion that would bring the already low conversion rate even lower.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: June 17, 2018 09:06AM

Love this

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 10:16PM

CrispingPin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow—God seemed to be surprised that people had
> turned wicked. The Supreme Being who is supposed
> to know all and see all from the beginning to the
> end of time, wasn’t expecting his people to be
> evil. The same God who knew more than two thousand
> years in advance that Martin Harris would lose 116
> pages was taken off guard by the behavior of the
> earth’s inhabitants, and was sorry that he ever
> put people on the earth.
>
Maybe the concept of God held by the person or persons who wrote the Noah story did not include a belief that God was all-knowing and could see all from the beginning to the end of time, etc.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 11:37PM

Jehovah must have felt like one tough mother when all those children and babies were drowning.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: June 17, 2018 09:51AM

It is a crazy world. I live in a very heavy Evangelical area. A musician who plays in my band mentioned to me Thursday he was going to see the Ark in Kentucky this week. Sigh... I was speechless. I know I should verbally respect someone's religious belief so I stay quiet. It is just me, but I mentally lose some respect for a person who can believe in such nonsense. Through the state legislature here in TN we are getting "In God We Trust" posted in schools and on police vehicles. Starting to give some thought to moving even though we like our home and neighbors. It just feels oppressive. It is not just the Ark. It is the mindset of that fundamental belief and forcing that belief on others.

Posted by: Anonandanon ( )
Date: June 17, 2018 01:01PM

I met a nice man recently from Tennessee. We were getting along famously. I knew his family were atheist so I was enjoying our friendship. Then he announced that he had found Jesus several years ago. Yikes. We are still friends but a wall went up that I just cannot climb over.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 17, 2018 11:12AM

God made a mistake when he gave men reason. This made mankind very hard to manage as people ended up doing their own thinking instead of obeying. In order not to have to do a repeat performance of the whole labor-intensive flood thing, Heavenly Father invented the Mormon church instead. This is working very well to stop reason in its tracks. The problem is now the rest of the world, because reason is like dandelions or crab grass--just keeps coming back no matter how much you nuke it.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 17, 2018 11:37AM

A better description of this event can be found in the translation of the tenth tablet of "The Lost Book of Enki". Read it for yourself and find out.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: June 17, 2018 12:29PM

“The event” didn’t happen, no matter how you spin it.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: June 17, 2018 01:35PM

This guy does a good job of explaining the flood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0J5WMmykEs

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.