Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rallychild ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 03:17AM

So, my older sister is on a mission right now, and she has missed all of the drama that went on with me and my mission, and eventual leaving of the church. I have become pretty close with my sis while she's been on her mission, which is weird, but cool because she totally understands what kind of guilt my mom puts on her kids and that sort of thing. A few days ago in her email to me, she asked me what I believe. This is what I said:

"After consulting people I trust like good friends and professors, and reading many many books and studying for months and months, I came to my own conclusions about life and religion and "beliefs". I do not at all believe in God. I believe that blind faith is more destructive and damaging to a person and a society than it is constructive and helpful. I believe that organized religion can brainwash people and limit their ability to think logically. I believe that people can live honest, awesome lives and be good people without having to go to church or believe in God. I believe that we are products of evolution, and the facts of science and anthropology and cosmology that contradict God and religion cannot, without a doubt, be denied. I believe the mind is a very powerful tool, and it can make someone believe or feel or see anything that can be refuted by the scientific method. I believe that when we die, we decompose in the ground, which gives meaning to my life and makes me not want to take anything for granted".

I told her to keep it just between us, and to not tell my mom or anyone else in the family. That was the first time I have ever told anyone in my family what I finally believe. It felt really good. I don't know what will happen from telling that to my sister, but all I know is that it feels really good to finally tell someone close to me how I feel. And I couldn't have done it without the support of this board. Love you guys!

rally

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MiaBella ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 03:23AM

Okay well what was the drama?

I told a friend that I am leaving the church. Funny how that news travelled like wild fire.

Posted by: RL ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 03:24AM

You're so brave. I bet it feels nice to know that someone in your family now knows what your beliefs are. I hope that it doesn't damage your new found relationship with her and that it just strengthens it. Good luck.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 04:59AM

I second that the mind can do many things. People want to think their "spiritual" experiences are from gawd. As an epileptic I know first hand how our brains, and nervous systems can create conditions that people interpret as spiritual (with the help of a good deal of magical, and wishful thinking of course).

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 08:46AM

I'm starting to do the same myself.

I try to be a nice guy about it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.