Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: matt ( )
Date: June 21, 2018 07:05PM

I was being serious.

It helped to calm down a headache I was suffering.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 09:59AM

matt, let me start by saying I'm glad you feel better.

That said...you don't know that crystals were responsible for you feeling better. So saying they helped isn't, well, helpful. Because you don't know they did.

See, correlation isn't causation. You got some crystals, your headache got better -- the latter isn't necessarily caused by the former.

Would the headache have gone away by itself? You don't know.
Did you eat/drink/take something else that affected it? You don't know. Did the weather change and affect it? You don't know. There are lots and lots of other things that could have affected the headache, and you didn't "control" for any of those.

That's the benefit of controlled, objective clinical studies. They control for as many confounding variables as possible. So that actual cause and effect can be more reliably determined. And when such tests are done with crystals, there is no cause or effect that comes out.

Now, I get it -- you might say, "Who cares, as long as my headache is better?"

Well, I care. And I think we all should care.

Because if there *really is* something that crystals can do to make people feel better, that would be good to know. And to know what they can/can't affect. If they really "work," we should all have 'em with us, all the time. They could alleviate a whole lot of human suffering, for little cost and with no side effects. That would be great stuff.

And if they don't do anything, that would be good to know, too. Because then we wouldn't waste time and money on things that don't have any real benefit, and we can concentrate on things that DO have real benefit.

So there's great value in *knowing* whether stuff does what it's claimed to do or not. And in the case of crystals, what we know is that there's no actual effect from them. There may be, sometimes, a placebo effect (which could also explain your headache going away, but again -- you don't know if that's the case or not, and neither do I). And a placebo effect can be had without crystals.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 10:57AM

Hie, you’re like a dog who just has to mark his territory. Good thing you had that second cup of coffee.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 11:06AM

I just care about facts. And despise charlatans who take advantage of people who don't know them.

Time for cup #3 :)

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 03:14PM

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 11:56AM

Babyloncansuckit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hie, you’re like a dog who just has to mark his
> territory. Good thing you had that second cup of
> coffee.

Chopping heads off left and right haha.

Posted by: Testiphony (can’t login) ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 11:59AM

I appreciate your regard for intellectual diligence, but it is possible to get a little rigid about it.

I recently joined massage school, which is legitimate health care based on very little hard scientific data. All practitioners know is that it works, but they can’t put it under a microscope for you.

Another challenge is research financing. You can’t patent someone’s hands, so there is less motivation to fund studies.

I expect the financial barrier to also effect claims of healing from stones and crystals. All we have is anecdotal evidence, and as my school instructors state, “that’s still evidence.” Eyewitness testimony seems to hold more water in a court of law than it does with types of faith-healing.

When I told my therapist that I believed I am healing myself with a multimodal holistic approach that includes yoga and chakra stones, he said that many people believe that crystals and stones work, and that he has stopped being surprised by the power of mind-body unity.

I have regrown hair that was lost to Male pattern baldness, I’ve reduced the size of my inguinal hernias, strengthened my jawbone and regrown bone tissue, my eyesight is sharpening and I need a new glasses rx, and other benefits. I could not care less if my clams are rejected, cuz this is pretty fun. Based on some sexual enhancements thus far, I even dare hope I may regrow my foreskin.

Stones and crystals serve as mindfulness tools. Your mind is powerful and can boost the body’s ability to heal. Stones and crystals are a way to focus that effort.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 10:40AM

They work for me.

I like to hang them in my window and let the morning sun make little rainbows dance all over the walls and ceiling.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 10:43AM

I had a bad cold and I swallowed some crystals and I was better a week later.
Those crystals really work !

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 03:14PM

I suspect your bottom hurt, though.

Can't have everything

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 10:52AM

jus LOL ~

in b 4 ~ exmos are smart enough to not believe in Joseph's Myth magic rock-in-a-hat religion ~

brb ~

in b 4 ~ exmos continue to beleef that rocks have majick powers ~

just LOL ~

Date: June 22, 2018 12:04PM

ziller Wrote:
> jus LOL ~
>
>
> in b 4 ~ exmos are smart enough to not believe in
> Joseph's Myth magic rock-in-a-hat religion ~
>
>
> brb ~
>
>
> in b 4 ~ exmos continue to beleef that rocks have
> majick powers ~
>
>
> just LOL ~

Healing properties compared to translating an entire book are pretty different i think but i am no expert.

Date: June 22, 2018 11:54AM

Despite what people say matt i am giving it a go and i definitely feel more positive about things since getting them. And everyone here knows i am never positive. Like i could be working a real job for the first time in like a three years and i had only worn the crystals like a day so far and good vibes are happening. Not quite sure if they are helping with pain but with the positive vibes i think so. My roommate has noticed so it is not only me just noticing. If you had the headache for a very long time and then the crystals worked then there might be something to it. I don't count it out but i am more positive since i got the crystals. And i researched what my crystals did before purchase because i wanted them to target specific things. Maybe it's a placebo with the more positive attitude but people know d@mn well how negative i am naturally most of the time. More time and experimenting needs to be done for me i think though at the very least before i discount them. But really when have i ever been positive even a little bit?

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 12:45AM

Sounds to me the crystals have already been worth it to you ------ based on your more positive, can do attitude.

I also sense you are like me in one way. If the 'naysayer mainstream media and scientific community' is against it ------ that alone makes it very worth while to try if not cost prohibitive.

One thing always missing is what the 'scientists' working 'black programs' would say ----- but they don't because their work is 'classified'.

I know from personal and close friends some of what is going on in 'black programs' and yes they are working with all sorts of psychic, alien technology, etc. and as far as I understand most 'woo woo' things with the best 'experts' they can find.

Date: June 23, 2018 01:45PM

spiritist Wrote:
> Sounds to me the crystals have already been worth
> it to you ------ based on your more positive, can
> do attitude.
>
> I also sense you are like me in one way. If the
> 'naysayer mainstream media and scientific
> community' is against it ------ that alone makes
> it very worth while to try if not cost
> prohibitive.
>
> One thing always missing is what the 'scientists'
> working 'black programs' would say ----- but they
> don't because their work is 'classified'.
>
> I know from personal and close friends some of
> what is going on in 'black programs' and yes they
> are working with all sorts of psychic, alien
> technology, etc. and as far as I understand most
> 'woo woo' things with the best 'experts' they can
> find.

Yes we are the same. If the whole world was against it then i am definitely doing it. The world put crazy crap into my head, why the hell would i listen to them for two seconds? And my roommate has already seen a difference in me, it isn't just me. The negative cycles in my brain have been less and less and more easily countered. I don't have to fight as hard to just exist with the crystals it seems. As far as pain decrease the verdict is still out on that one, too hard to tell but positive brain waves have been noticed for sure.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 01:46PM

Crystals work for me.

I was once walking on a planet that had some crystals in it and I found a five dollar bill!

Date: June 23, 2018 03:16PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> Crystals work for me.
>
> I was once walking on a planet that had some
> crystals in it and I found a five dollar bill!

See? There you go. Now that is positivity right there.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 12:09PM

They may be effective in ridding one of all that unsightly wrinkled money.

But, who am I to talk? I just read my horoscope!

:D

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 12:16PM

++++++++++++

Date: June 22, 2018 02:44PM

kathleen Wrote:
> They may be effective in ridding one of all that
> unsightly wrinkled money.
>
> But, who am I to talk? I just read my horoscope!
>
>
> :D

Crystals are better to look at than paper :)

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 03:06PM

You mean *paper* as in horoscopes, or hundred-dollar bills?

Date: June 22, 2018 10:03PM

Both but i was thinking more like dollar bills because crystals are cheap.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 03:30PM

Post-hoc-ergo-propter-hoc fallacy

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 09:30PM

If crystals "work," it's my view, that it's because they are a constant reminder for your brain/mind to focus on your goal. Too often, we forget how powerful our mind/brain is.

Imagination, visualizing, changing our thoughts can very often have a direct effect on our desired outcomes.

If you want to change your world, change your thoughts. I have found this to be true and effective

Posted by: Testiphony (can’t login) ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 12:04PM

This^ definitely. Stones do nothing for me if my attention is not ON them. It can’t be forceful or expectant attention either. It has to be light, open attention.

Date: June 23, 2018 01:38PM

SusieQ#1 Wrote:
> If crystals "work," it's my view, that it's
> because they are a constant reminder for your
> brain/mind to focus on your goal. Too often, we
> forget how powerful our mind/brain is.
>
> Imagination, visualizing, changing our thoughts
> can very often have a direct effect on our desired
> outcomes.
>
> If you want to change your world, change your
> thoughts. I have found this to be true and
> effective

You may have a point. Having actual physical crystals that i can see and feel has done more for me than talking to an invisible guy in the sky for decades so far.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 09:34PM

President Hie T. Kolob means well...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.